Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Florida for two years. Since we are going to be there short term, we aren't interested in a home due to the upkeep and maintenance. Can anyone recommend a gated apartment complex or condominium complex in the area? And if that isn't possible, should we hire a real estate agent to locate a quality rental property? Is there a reputable apartment chain in the area?

I read reviews on apartment ratings and apartments.com in the Ft. Lauderdale area in general and they all seem to have very poor ratings due to noise (thin walls), residents (young loud partiers) and crime (stolen cars).

Thank you for any input
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
You won't see loud parties and stolen cars in Weston.

I highly recommend Courtyards at the Grove. It is a gated condo development where the owners often rent out their units.

There are a few more similar condo developments (San Messina, San Mateo, San Sebastian, etc) where you can find a rental.

Pure apartment complexes are Weston Place and St Andrews. I believe Weston Place is not gated.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:27 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
What is a realistic morning and evening commute time from Westom to both Ft. Lauderdale and South Miami area? On google maps, it states approximately 30 minutes and 40 minutes. However, what about rush hour? Does South Florida have a rush hour?

It seems like the only downside to living in Weston is the commute. However, it seems like everything between Weston and Miami Beach poses some element of crime risk and/or near living in a bad area?

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-19-2013 at 08:35 AM..

Old 05-19-2013, 10:58 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Yes, we have rush hour. Not pleasant.

Weston to Fort Lauderdale - 30-40 min. It is better to either leave early (7am) or late (9:30am).

South Miami... ouch... where in South Miami? I am more familiar with driving to North Miami or Downtown/Brickell.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 PM

31 posts, read 57,460 times
If you have to work in both Fort Lauderdale and South Miami, there aren't a whole lot of choices. Aventura is your best bet if you're looking for a nice community. But be prepared to pay up. And mind you, the traffic on the 95 can be hell.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM

984 posts, read 4,315,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroEconomist View Post
If you have to work in both Fort Lauderdale and South Miami, there aren't a whole lot of choices. Aventura is your best bet if you're looking for a nice community. But be prepared to pay up. And mind you, the traffic on the 95 can be hell.
Right on...it will be quite difficult, you gonna probably have to rent something kind of in-between these two Cities. Aventura, as said, is a very good bet; there's also Sunny Isles Beach and Bay Harbor Islands nearby. More to the south there's the Upper East Side and Midtown/Edgewater (gotta be careful with these areas, they're all up and coming and a few can be quite seedy). More to the north there's Hollywood and Hallandale (both when east of the US-1 - preferably along or near the beach / or also when west of the I-95 in Hollywood's case (Emerald Hills and Hollywood Hills areas, that would be).

Old 05-22-2013, 07:30 AM

23 posts, read 44,290 times
South Florida traffic is horrible!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,655 times
Could someone tell me how to post a question (thread)?. I am looking for placing an ad regarding Weston, Fl.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:19 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is a realistic morning and evening commute time from Westom to both Ft. Lauderdale and South Miami area? On google maps, it states approximately 30 minutes and 40 minutes. However, what about rush hour? Does South Florida have a rush hour?

It seems like the only downside to living in Weston is the commute. However, it seems like everything between Weston and Miami Beach poses some element of crime risk and/or near living in a bad area?
Call me crazy but that may be a big downside. I would not add 30-40 minutes twice a day to my commute from Weston to FLL just in case of an element of crime that may not even exist in the many neighborhoods you could live in. I'm assuming there are no children in the picture. If you can afford Weston, you can likely afford a nice place in FLL...but I'll say I haven't looked in 3 years or so.

You didn't really say where you were commuting exactly but if I were working in FLL and occasionally going to Miami I'd move directly IN FLL. I stipulate I never commuted from Weston so maybe there's something I don't know about the highway to Miami being quicker or something.

If I were doing both cities 50-50 I would move in between.

But I DO KNOW that when I was relo'ing to FLL, 4 years ago...at 65th and Federal there is ONE LIGHT THERE at my office building that you can sit at for a good 15 minutes at lunch and both rush hours! Therefore I was going to move to the Port Royale Apts directly across the street. Not glamorous but fine, lush landscaping on a slice of the Intracoastal, updated and professionals living there and reasonable rents...and close to the beach and shopping and not a bad area at all. Even if it were, too bad for me cuz I had to work right there LOL.

I'm from PHilly which used to be called the City of Murder and even THERE I was never once a victim of any crime so for me, FLL is not a real issue, TBH. Unless I was limited to like, $650 per month and even then I'd just use my Philly swagger haha. IMO you don't want to rent from a private person unless you get excellent references and scope out the entire neighborhood really well at all times of day. Unless it's in a nice high rise, and even then just make sure they're not going into foreclosure. A home owner in Hollywood ON THE BEACH ripped me off for 2700.00 for a deposit for his own rental because he was a sociopath, nothing more. He was on the Broward docket 140 times in 5 years for landlord/tenant and HE BROUGHT most of the cases. Because he's nuts!

How often will you be in Miami Beach and/or FLL?

There are gorgeous places to live in Miami! And what neighborhood are you working in? Maybe the Spanish is an issue for you but I"m strictly talking quality of life and avoiding commuting nightmares.

Oh hell this is from May 22 LOL. sorry.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 06-11-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 06-11-2013, 07:32 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancers'mom View Post
Could someone tell me how to post a question (thread)?. I am looking for placing an ad regarding Weston, Fl.
Scroll up and click on Fort Lauderdale area.

Look at the page it gives you there's a radio button on the top left of the page that says NEW THREAD.

Click that and type your title in the Title box Then type in the words you want to say in this white box like you see here and hit submit new thread down the bottom. Right, each one of these subjects with it's own title is called a thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area