Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2012, 05:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,982 times

Advertisements

Whats going on ladies and gents

I know theres been threads that have talked about SW Ranches and how great of a community it is etc. however I just wanted to get some more information before I move there and purchase a house. I was born and raised in Miami my whole life specifically the Kendall area and I am looking to move to SW Ranches and get out of the congested Hispanic rude people etc. in Miami. I use to love Miami when I was younger and was partying constantly but I have a newborn son and I just want to move to a better area. I am coming back home from Afghanistan shortly and am looking to buy a home. My question is how does Davie compare to SW Ranches specifically the Fla. Fruit Lands area where theres larger lots and theres no suburbia type homes. It seems that SW ranches is a little more exclusive and may hold its value in the long run, do you think this is true? It also seems the lots are a little bigger overall in SW Ranches. If anyone can give me some insight into the area, or if there are other areas similar to SW Ranches in South Florida that would interest me please let me know. I know about Homestead but thats to far down South, and I know about Horse Country in the Kendall area which in my opinion is a cesspool or at least the surrounding area, if you can offer any tips or insight into Southwest Ranches area schools, and overall value of the homes in Broward. Are they still building the Corrections Center right near SW Ranches? Also I do love S Florida but I do not want to live in Miami anymore, I like having Miami in my "backyard" due to the family living there and overall convenience but thats about it.

Thanks a lot for any help.
-Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,189,384 times
I live in nearby Weston and it's my understanding that the homes in SW Ranches are on at least an acre (and sometimes more). I don't believe there are any apts., condos or townhomes in the city -- it's all single-family homes, and the atmosphere is rural -- you'll see people riding horses -- very appropriate, considering the name of the town includes the word "ranches." The Fla Fruitlands area also is very nice, just east of SW Ranches. Davie is a much larger city than SW Ranches -- there's the university (Nova), several shopping centers, single and multi-family housing, lots of restaurants, grocery stores. Since SW Ranches is right next to Weston, people pretty much come to Weston for grocery shopping, gas, etc.

As far as which place would hold their value better, I really don't know. Generally, the western and eastern parts of Broward County have held their own over the central part of the county, IMHO. Although every area of Broward County got hammered with this real estate bust -- some more than others.

Another "horsey" area that you might want to look at in Broward is Plantation Acres. All the homes on at least a half of an acre -- most on at least an acre.

As far as the corrections center, the controversy has died down for now, but I'm sure it will be considered again. SW Ranches are Pembroke Pines are suing each other because the commissioners in SW Ranches couldn't get Pembroke Pines to agree to provide water, sewer and fire services for the facility. It's my understanding the commission wanted the project because of the revenue it would bring to the city -- but many residents have stated their opposition to it. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:39 AM

10 posts, read 15,951 times
I like that SW Ranches has a closer proximity to I-75. Davie is much larger and the areas closer to 595 tend to be a little shadier. Also, I've noticed a lot of mobile home parks in certain parts of Davie and I don't see that so much in SW Ranches.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:00 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,897,443 times
There is minimal difference between the two areas you are looking at, except that there is sort of an encroachment of new upscale gated communities into the Fla Fruit Lands area, although I think almost everything that can be built on/sold has been built on/sold. Schools and whatever else are pretty equivalent, with a slight edge to Southwest Ranches. You might want to look into Parkland, or Loxahatchee up in Palm Beach County.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 4,982 times
Hey thanks a lot for the replies, I really appreciate it. I already have a pre approved loan as well as a realtor. I was just trying to get some insight from people who actually live in the area. Once again thanks a lot.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,120 times
Speaking of Schools, SW Ranches got re-zoned. Their kids now go to West Broward High (they used to come to Cypress Bay High in Weston until this year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area