Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I am still trying to get my hands around some of the comments on here ... I have lived in South Florida for sixteen years now ... first Weston and now Parkland .. we love it down here .. sure you have your a-hole quota and it is a service economy so job prospects are not that great .. but the comments on here that everyone is rude and just out for them selves is utter nonsense .. what is being more "intellectual " ... liberal ?

I am from NYC originally and still love the place ... but you take the good with the bad and yes there are plenty of low intellect a-holes in NYC .. I go up to Connecticut every other month and a more dull boring and other than Yale in New Haven a more intellectually void place I have never been to .. I have often been asked if I was from around there as I am too friendly and yes I have now been a South Floridian for sixteen years .. in summary yes there are rude people down here and mental midgets .. but I have also met some of the nicest people down here as well and we have a great circle of friends and family ... my daughters are now in College one in FAU ( Boca Raton ) and the other starting at FSU in the fall .. we have relationships with balanced , intelligent professional people and for the veiled racists on here they are all color and ethnicities .. the generalizations made on here by some are mind blowing .. these are people who would not be happy anywhere and they use these silly forums as some kind of therapy . I also find that people who tend to complain about how rude others are tend to be rude them selves ... I just got back from having lunch with my wife at a Middle Eastern restaurant on Sunrise and University and we were commenting how nice the people there and at a Starbucks in Plantation were ... you project a positive vibe and are nice and treat people with respect and it will be returned in kind most of the time .. sorry for the diatribe but there are too many generalizations on here and most from bitter malcontents in my opinion .

+11eleventy billion.

(I also lived in NYC and go to CT (New Haven area) a couple of times per year)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
It is relative,I guess,to what you are coming to,like anywhere else.It helps to know as much about someone's situation as possible before advising the person to relocate down here.For example,I wouldn't recommend anyone in teaching to move here.I also would not recommend an engineer to move here, unless there is a specified recruitment into upper management.Having lived down here for a long time,I strongly believe the income has to be on the higher end down here to be happy,especially if kids are in the picture. It seems like people from the Northeast,where the cost of living is high,have an easier time adjusting.

The comments are probably over the top,the people are not that bad fo the most part, and South Florida is a beautiful area with alot going on.But you will not be happy if you are going to be one of the working class,underpaid,stuck in traffic at least an hour each way in your commute,kids in mediaocre schools(because you are underpaid and can't afford private schools,)and repetitive layoffs because each company you have worked for decides to leave the area every couple of years.Also,I believe it is easier here if you are young and no kids are in the picture,where you can spend your money on the nightlife that does exist here.If you find yourself in a position to avoid these specific negative aspects,you will probably find it to be one of the best areas to live in.
I think this post nails it. We spent three years, in Weston, due to a job transfer. We lived in a beautiful pool home, and were able to send our high school age boy to a private school. The two younger ones were at Falcon Cove, which was pretty good for those in the gifted track. They liked it.

But, we saw so many things that made us just shake our heads. The family on our street that bought each of their kids a Mercedes as they reached their 16th birthday. The family that hired stretch limos to take the birthday party invitees to the movie theater, and the son of good friends who had everything handed to him, but now has 7 felony convictions for drug dealing.

It just wasn't the atmosphere we wanted. When the opportunity arose to transfer again, we grabbed it. Again, we DID live in a high income neighborhood. It just wasn't what we expected.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:44 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
.. what is being more "intellectual " ... liberal ?
It has nothing to do with politics.

Being intellectual means being concerned with ideas, thinking and reason. Someone who is intellectual is interested in books, movies, music and art that portray many different ideas. Someone who is intellectual is interested in more than just making money and collecting stuff.

Quote:
.. in summary yes there are rude people down here and mental midgets .. but I have also met some of the nicest people down here as well and we have a great circle of friends and family ...
The comment was originally made to me by my 18 year old son. He feels totally isolated by being an athlete that is a "big thinker". He often feels that young people here are very shallow and not concerned about exercising their minds in any way other than what is required to get a good grade in a class.

His athlete friends do not read anything not required for class. They do not understand why my son loves books, classical music and theater in addition to football, wrestling and lacrosse.

These are really not my words they are his.

My husband and I like it here. We also have nice friends that are smart, funny and nice. However, when people ask for an opinion it is not fair to give them only the good points. Opinions need to be balanced.

I like it here. But it has some glaring flaws.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM

229 posts, read 585,179 times
Quote:
I am still trying to get my hands around some of the comments on here ... I have lived in South Florida for sixteen years now ... first Weston and now Parkland .. we love it down here .. sure you have your a-hole quota and it is a service economy so job prospects are not that great .. but the comments on here that everyone is rude and just out for them selves is utter nonsense .. what is being more "intellectual " ... liberal ?

I am from NYC originally and still love the place ... but you take the good with the bad and yes there are plenty of low intellect a-holes in NYC .. I go up to Connecticut every other month and a more dull boring and other than Yale in New Haven a more intellectually void place I have never been to .. I have often been asked if I was from around there as I am too friendly and yes I have now been a South Floridian for sixteen years .. in summary yes there are rude people down here and mental midgets .. but I have also met some of the nicest people down here as well and we have a great circle of friends and family ... my daughters are now in College one in FAU ( Boca Raton ) and the other starting at FSU in the fall .. we have relationships with balanced , intelligent professional people and for the veiled racists on here they are all color and ethnicities .. the generalizations made on here by some are mind blowing .. these are people who would not be happy anywhere and they use these silly forums as some kind of therapy . I also find that people who tend to complain about how rude others are tend to be rude them selves ... I just got back from having lunch with my wife at a Middle Eastern restaurant on Sunrise and University and we were commenting how nice the people there and at a Starbucks in Plantation were ... you project a positive vibe and are nice and treat people with respect and it will be returned in kind most of the time .. sorry for the diatribe but there are too many generalizations on here and most from bitter malcontents in my opinion .
This!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:19 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I think this post nails it. We spent three years, in Weston, due to a job transfer. We lived in a beautiful pool home, and were able to send our high school age boy to a private school. The two younger ones were at Falcon Cove, which was pretty good for those in the gifted track. They liked it.

But, we saw so many things that made us just shake our heads. The family on our street that bought each of their kids a Mercedes as they reached their 16th birthday. The family that hired stretch limos to take the birthday party invitees to the movie theater, and the son of good friends who had everything handed to him, but now has 7 felony convictions for drug dealing.

It just wasn't the atmosphere we wanted. When the opportunity arose to transfer again, we grabbed it. Again, we DID live in a high income neighborhood. It just wasn't what we expected.
Idiocy is everywhere, not limited to South Florida. Money doesn't equal brain.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:04 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Idiocy is everywhere, not limited to South Florida. Money doesn't equal brain.
Of course it is. It just seems more concentrated in So. Florida.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
Momma_bear, didn't you move to South FL from Raleigh?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
We lived in Savanna for 10 years. For the past 2 years we have been living in Plantation Acres. My husband is an attorney and we live in a nice house. We also drive modest cars. My son drives our 2008 Scion xB.

Last summer my son was upstairs in the theater with a few of his friends. I overheard a conversation they were having (not eavesdropping, just heard it in passing). His friend was saying that she was surprised that we had such a nice house since we were "making" my son drive such a crappy car. My son answered by saying that he liked his car and he was happy to have a car that he could drive since his parents were paying for his gas and insurance. His friend lives in Pembroke Pines (out west).

We have had to work very hard to impart our values to our kids in this environment. It is possible though. Parents still have more influence over kids than any other single factor.

There are good things about living here though. We do like the climate. We like that there is a lot of diversity in the area. We like our home and our immediate community. We like our kids school (American Heritage). There is a lot to like here but it is not fair to gloss over other things when people ask. It just isn't.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Momma_bear, didn't you move to South FL from Raleigh?
No. We moved to south Fl from Westchester County, NY (north of NYC).

Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
It has nothing to do with politics.

Being intellectual means being concerned with ideas, thinking and reason. Someone who is intellectual is interested in books, movies, music and art that portray many different ideas. Someone who is intellectual is interested in more than just making money and collecting stuff.

The comment was originally made to me by my 18 year old son. He feels totally isolated by being an athlete that is a "big thinker". He often feels that young people here are very shallow and not concerned about exercising their minds in any way other than what is required to get a good grade in a class.

His athlete friends do not read anything not required for class. They do not understand why my son loves books, classical music and theater in addition to football, wrestling and lacrosse.

These are really not my words they are his.

My husband and I like it here. We also have nice friends that are smart, funny and nice. However, when people ask for an opinion it is not fair to give them only the good points. Opinions need to be balanced.

I like it here. But it has some glaring flaws.
Not taking shots at you Momma Bear .. in fact I like and agree with most of your posts .. there are plenty of intellectual activities and pursuits down here .. from the Arsht Center in Miami to The Broward Center for Performing Arts to less intellectual like the Hard Rock .. you just have to look for them .. as far as the intellect of individuals down here ... again you do have your high quote of brain dead , shallow people .. that is probably because you have so many people here from other states and countries .. I simply try and ignore these and go on with my life and focus on the great friends and social circle that we do have .. I agree with a balanced opinion and this area is not for everyone ... but there are some posters on here that right off the bat project their useless , bitter existence about a place to newcomers .. I see this a lot in the California , Texas and Arizona forums as well .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area