Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,364 times

Advertisements

The lease on this rental is up in 40 days. I told the tenant that we will not be re-signing a new lease and that he needs to be out on the end of the term. He says to get ready for a long legal battle. He is not leaving and that there is nothing we can do about it. How can I win this battle? And quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Did you review the landlord tenant act for florida, the lease terms? Consult w/ an attorney? Little info to go on.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

924 posts, read 1,677,500 times
When we were looking for a commerical warehouse to rent a few years ago, the landlord for the one we're in now told us he had a unit, that the guy was ten days late on rent but he was going to have him out in three days. We questioned how he was going to be able to do this. He told us that he was going to offer the guy his security deposit and last month's rent he had in escrow back in full if he'd vacate in three days leaving the premises undamaged. It worked and we took over the unit the following week. Had he evicted him, it would have taken months. With the legal expenses and probable non-payment of rent, he would have been out thousands. His strategy cost him only 2 weeks of lost rent and allowed him to quickly get a good tenant in there.

It sounds like your tenant has some experience with eviction and proably is familiar with ways to slow the eviction process. I'd consult an attorney now but run this idea of an incentive to get out now by him.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM

264 posts, read 774,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmam View Post
i'd consult an attorney now but run this idea of an incentive to get out now by him.
+1

Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM

70 posts, read 176,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RKB1 View Post
The lease on this rental is up in 40 days. I told the tenant that we will not be re-signing a new lease and that he needs to be out on the end of the term. He says to get ready for a long legal battle. He is not leaving and that there is nothing we can do about it. How can I win this battle? And quickly.
Can you give a few more details?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
You have to send him a letter in writing that you want him out. I believe you need to give him 30 days notice but you need to check that. If he doesn't go then you go on to evict him. As some one else mentioned sometimes $$ will get them to leave.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
It sounds like your tenant has some experience with eviction and proably is familiar with ways to slow the eviction process. I'd consult an attorney now but run this idea of an incentive to get out now by him.
Good tactic, but the tenant seems to know what he/she is doing. You are right about that. The tenant seems to want to get paid for leaving, or getting his/her deposit back.

A good spanking by a few street thugs would solve the issue. I'm only kidding. Don't do that. Please don't!!

But the tenant is gaming you and the system. I say do it legally. Get things in writing, and get him/her out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RKB1 View Post
Double check. Put things in writing. I hope you have your contract in hand. Get him out. Nothing good can come of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
You have to send him a letter in writing that you want him out. I believe you need to give him 30 days notice but you need to check that. If he doesn't go then you go on to evict him. As some one else mentioned sometimes $$ will get them to leave.
I don't think it makes sense to pay someone to leave my property. Sometimes it clears headaches, but I'm not one to believe in being strong armed by a tenant.

That's why being a landlord is not for me. My parents have 3 houses in SW Broward, and having to deal with tenants can be a PITA. I end up dealing with some of these tenants (Every trip to S. Fla )

Good thing my parents' tenants are not that bad, plus they're getting relative bargains there.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:47 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 802,662 times
A baseball bat. One of my tennants may make not make it to the end of the sentence if they threatened to strong arm me and rip me off... you need to scare them, if you seem weak people will walk all over you. Be strong, make them uncomfortable, afraid to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area