Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 AM

76 posts, read 298,903 times

Advertisements

I have just retired and am about to become a seasonal resident of FL. However, since I do not need my car up north, I am going to keep my car year round in FL.

Can anybody verify the advice that I have been given that FL law requires me to have a FL title and tags even though I will not be a resident of the state?

Thanks so much for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 PM

36 posts, read 103,194 times
Not up on FL law on that specific topic, consider checking with DMV. Would not be surprised becase FL make a lot of money on title transfers. $450 to register and title transfer my Explorer. If you can keep it registered out of state, do it. Getting it inspected in the registered state might be tedious. Lots and lots of out of state tags here, if you're not here year round I would play the "just visiting" card.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:27 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,392 times
Do you own in Florida...or are you renting...could make all the difference...

Old 06-03-2011, 04:21 AM

76 posts, read 298,903 times
I do own a condo in FL. Does that make a difference?

Old 06-03-2011, 03:21 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,392 times
Angry Catch 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree1 View Post
I have just retired and am about to become a seasonal resident of FL. However, since I do not need my car up north, I am going to keep my car year round in FL.

Can anybody verify the advice that I have been given that FL law requires me to have a FL title and tags even though I will not be a resident of the state?

Thanks so much for the information.
At least that's what it used to be called....for most states require that you convert your out-of-state driver's license and vehicle registration within 30 days of moving to that state...since you spend part of the time in Florida and the other part somewhere else you fall right in the middle......and since you do not need your car where you live now...you might consider re-newing your vehicle registration in Florida...

As far as your driver's license it is hard to say...but if you are looking to claim the homestead exemption that Florida offers...you will need to convert your license to a Florida one......at least this way you will be able to maintain some control on the tax increases that Florida imposes on 2nd home ownership of non-residents...

Old 06-10-2011, 02:57 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,978 times
If you are seasonal, then you will be one of thousands of out of state plates and drivers licenses. I also split my time here at first and I maintained a NH registration for several years. As long as you pay another state to stay in current registration, you won't have any issue.

But yes, don't try to claim homestead. An out of state drivers license will disqualify you. But just owning property won't make any difference.....so do ten thousand other snowbirds.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
OP you better increase your car insurance. FL is the land of the uninsured driver.

When you are involved in a car crash, even if it is not your fault it goes against your policy.

Unlike other states FL does little to get the uninsured driver off the road. While other states impound the cars FL lets them keep driving.

Just an FYI, so you want as much coverage as possible here.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:10 PM

259 posts, read 1,323,978 times
Good thought, but it's not a matter of just increasing existing coverage dollars, rather make sure you have UM coverage coming from the state the car is insured in. There are still states that don't require it and I agree, your chances of getting hit by a UM in S. Florida is probably higher than elsewhere.

But you overstate the leniency of Florida. The car is not impounded but the drivers license and registration are usually suspended. Then if you are stopped without a license its jailtime in Florida.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,630,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualobserver View Post
Good thought, but it's not a matter of just increasing existing coverage dollars, rather make sure you have UM coverage coming from the state the car is insured in. There are still states that don't require it and I agree, your chances of getting hit by a UM in S. Florida is probably higher than elsewhere.

But you overstate the leniency of Florida. The car is not impounded but the drivers license and registration are usually suspended. Then if you are stopped without a license its jailtime in Florida.
Yes, eventually if they don't pay the ticket the license is suspended. So they drive on a suspended license.

People who drive around with no car insurance, don't care about having a valid license.

FL unlike other states by not impounding cars allows the problem to fester.

Even if they get arrested for driving on suspended DL, they get out in a couple of hours and still have the car.

And they continue driving.

You impound the car you get them off the road, amazing how it works well in other states.

Uninsured drivers for years have been a problem in FL that is not properly addressed.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 23,515 times
I live in Florida, have all my cars reg. and ins. here, but want to have a car in N.H. when I visit. Can I reg. it in Florida w/o it being here????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area