Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 01:55 PM

38 posts, read 116,219 times

Advertisements

Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant on Federal Hwy near Oakland, I think it was an Italian restaurant. And then it became the Playpen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 02:23 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidge View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the restaurant on Federal Hwy near Oakland, I think it was an Italian restaurant. And then it became the Playpen?
I think it was Fazio's the spelling may be wrong. The owner was a reputed mobster and there were often mobster types that met there. After the murder of his son Fazio seemed to fade away. I forget the details of his sons murder. He used to live not far from me and was a friend of my fathers. When the Yankees were in Fort lauderdale that was one of their hangouts.
Assuming we are talking about the same place.

I just did a little googling and came up with this clip from the Palm Beach Post:

"Other veteran local lawyers, however, had less rosy things to say about Druck. Hugh Maloney, who squared off against Druck on a case or two, would occasionally have drinks with him at Jimmy Fazio's House of Ribs on North Federal Highway, a popular hangout for both lawyers and gangsters in those days"

I don't know what that story was about but it mentioned the restaurant.

Last edited by mango23; 10-01-2010 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 06:40 AM

38 posts, read 116,219 times
mango23 It was Gigi's!!!! An old friend remembered or googled it!

Old 10-03-2010, 09:13 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,833,527 times
Going Way Back here but at one time it was called La Fontana.
It was an Italian Restaurant owned by the Florio's.

I know this because I worked there and .. Dawn Florio was my girlfriend and her brother Mario was my run around buddy.

Funny thing .. about ten years later .. I married Patrice Florio who was No relation to the other Florio's!

Her family were also Italian, owned a pizza parlor directly across the street from the motel that they also owned on S. Federal Hwy called The Coconut Court Motel!

Old 04-17-2013, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,116 times
Default You Are Correct....It Was Gigi's!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidge View Post
mango23 It was Gigi's!!!! An old friend remembered or googled it!
I remember going to Gigi's with my parents when I was a kid back in the late 1960's. It was a pretty cool place to eat back then! I'll always associate the song "Love Is Blue" by Paul Muriat that was being played there the last time we went! Since "Love Is Blue" was a number 1 song for 5 weeks back in February and March of 1968, I'm guessing that sometime in late 1968 would have been the last time I went and I have no clue as to when Gigi's closed and became something else.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:21 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,826,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmangatorboy53 View Post
I remember going to Gigi's with my parents when I was a kid back in the late 1960's. It was a pretty cool place to eat back then! I'll always associate the song "Love Is Blue" by Paul Muriat that was being played there the last time we went! Since "Love Is Blue" was a number 1 song for 5 weeks back in February and March of 1968, I'm guessing that sometime in late 1968 would have been the last time I went and I have no clue as to when Gigi's closed and became something else.
Paul MAuriat

Old 02-04-2018, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,564 times
Default Anawer you are looking for

The Name was Americo's. It was on Broward Blvd about a block from Ginos. They moved to the beach area in the late 70's. THEY MADE THE BEST GARLIC ROLLS IN THE WORLD. We have been looking since then for a restaurant that even comes near to their rolls. No Luck, 3 brothers ran the restaurant.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:00 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,655 times
Jimmy Fazio's House of Prime Ribs became Mr. Pip’s at 3485 N Federal Highway, not Art Stock's Playpen.

MrClose is correct - The Playpen was La Fontana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area