Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 10:22 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,670,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeefiend9898 View Post
Another great benefit of roasting your own is the economics. Coffee prices keep inflating. Un-roasted coffee beans last years. My last order of 29 lbs totaled $120 including shipping. Compare that to the cost of freshly roasted beans at the store, and the hassle of having to buy weekly for freshness.
May I ask where you git that great price?

My husband roasts a small batch every two or three days, grinds fresh every morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Happymug. I have no affiliation with them, just found them on the web. Even with shipping cost I think their price is great (hope I'm not blowing it with this post).

Before that I lived in an area with a local coffee provider, so no shipping costs.

What equipment does he use to roast?
Fresh Roast SR540. It's just a small roaster, similar to a tiny hot air popcorn popper.

Thanks for the company name. I checked out their website. Too bad only the roasted coffee is free shipping (if you spend over $40), but for the green coffee beans, shipping is higher the more you buy. Still pretty good prices; definitely better than roasted bean price at a grocery store.

Old 11-16-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Happymug. I have no affiliation with them, just found them on the web. Even with shipping cost I think their price is great (hope I'm not blowing it with this post).

Before that I lived in an area with a local coffee provider, so no shipping costs.

What equipment does he use to roast?
Fresh Roast SR540. It's just a small roaster, similar to a tiny hot air popcorn popper.

Thanks for the company name. I checked out the website. Too bad only roasted bean orders get free shipping (if over $40). Green coffee beans have some hefty shipping fees (the more you buy, the higher the shipping cost), but it's still much better prices than at a grocery store.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:59 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Us old people, that don't like to pay about $44 dollars a pound for coffee. That's from the last time I calculated the cost of manufactured coffee.
Who the hell pays $44 per pound??

Old 11-21-2023, 09:00 AM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I can also tell you that the time to cool the beans after roasting is a factor also. In a coffee plant, the beans are cooled with a water quench and a high volume fan. It takes about 15 minutes to cool 400 pounds of roasted coffee down to room temperature. But, that is impractical with home equipment.
I use a coffee bean cooler that I bought from Amazon rather than use the cooling cycle on my Gene Cafe roaster. Basically a pan with a screen and a fan to draw cool air across. It also decreases cycle time since I'c cooling and roasting simultaneously.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:53 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
I did this many years ago using cake pans in the oven. A novelty not repeated. Now I stock up when there is a sale at my supermarket.

Today I ordered a two pound bag of My Coffee online because I got a good discount code, although part of the discount code was cancelled out by shipping cost. Still, I hadn't had it in a while and it's excellent coffee. Organic, smooth and mellow, a special treat for me.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:08 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Heck no!, it's bad enough to grind the beans already roasted.

Old 11-24-2023, 04:39 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Do you "home roasters" let the roasted coffee beans "rest" at least 3 days before grinding and brewing coffee? Some coffee roasters let the roasted beans set for a couple of weeks to "de-gas".

I'm not a home roaster. I buy Tim Horton's ground coffee at Walmart and that works fine for me. I don't spend much time on coffee prep or brewing.

Old 11-24-2023, 02:57 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
If you live in an area with likely power outages, I'd suggest buying ground coffee, not whole beans. Unless you grind a couple of pounds to use in that scenario. Or drink tea
I found out the hard way.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:33 PM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
Quote:
I've never tasted any difference between freshly roasted beans or after they've "degassed" for a few days.

I get about 13 espresso shots per roast, typically drink one or two a day, so they're ground either immediately or up to a week later.

Then again, with me it's more about the dark roast vs. subtle flavor notes. And of course price. Last order was about $4.12/lbs including shipping. Looks like Tim Horton costs around $8/lb.
Where are you ordering from @ $4.12/lbs? GenuineOrigin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink