Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:52 PM

262 posts, read 1,234,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
now arent we just a bit squeamish, or high-brow??? my gosh, most of our grandmothers grew up on farms, "prepping" thier own chickens,hogs, and other animals, to eat,
it must be nice, to be so comfortable, one can be so persnickety!
most of my heritage in maine has come from large families, that had to work hard, take what the land offers, by farming and hunting.

the deer-heads, moose-heads, arent even real, taxi-dermists, create them...(they are not dead carcasses)..
I am not high brow by any means. In fact I consider myself lucky to have the luxury to choose vegetarianism. I have a sister-in-law who grew up in Malaysia where they didn't have that luxury. Whatever animal they did eat, they ate every part of it so as not to waste any of it. I have no problem with that. I do, however, have a problem with people shooting an innocent animal for sport and hanging the carcass as a trophy.

As I understand it, a person shoots the deer, hands it over to the taxi-dermist and then gets back the wall hanging. Those who have done it brag that it is very real.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 10:09 PM

131 posts, read 511,466 times
Please don't missunderstand me. When I said "I have no problems killing an animal if I had to" I don't agree with killing animals for sport or in any inhumane way. In America we have the luxury to not have to hunt/kill our own food. Most Americans couldn't do it if they had to. I'm just saying I could. Just as various plants are here to nourish our bodies so are animals. But there is a way to do it where you respect nature and animals.
Unfortunately, unless there was a national boycott or people started raising their own animals with the intent to eat them, not buying a house or eating strictly plant life won't stop animals from being slaughtered inhumanely.

Some people have a hard time killing a fly or spider! I'm referring to meat-eaters. Can you imagine those people having to kill their own food??? Well, I bet alot more people would become vegans out of default.

I am not insensitive. I am not an animal hater. I don't agree with hunting unless it is being done for the sole purpose of food. Anyone who doesn't agree with that needs to go tell the Native Americans on the reserve, that once again they need to change their way of life 'cause some people don't think it's right! BTW, before you reply to my Native American comment, I Am a Black Indian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink