Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 09:56 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times

Advertisements

I am looking for info., and opinions on the grocery store Piggly Wiggly.
I have not heard of them before. We are considering purchasing a home in a (you guessed it) small town, where the major grocery store is the Piggly Wiggly.
Please enlighten me !
Thanks in advanced for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
I used to shop there in Macon, Georgia (in the 80's)...wasn't quite like Publix, but it was a large store.
Maybe call up the website and see what it tells you.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:20 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Gosh I miss Piggly Wiggly. We don't have them around here anymore. Glad to know some are still around. They are the small town grocery store. I'd always walk to the one in the little town my grandparents and great grandparents lived in to get a coke w/ my cousins. Walmart comes to town and they close up . There really is nothing "special" about them, they are just the small average grocery store and have been around for DECADES.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:27 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,160,169 times
What about quality of meats and freshness of veggies?

In Florida I was a die hard Publix shopper.
Here, I tend to use Winn Dixie for some things being it is closer. But still go to Publix for meats and produce.
I am told, in the area, there are 2 slaughter houses (uck). Probably better quality, but to think of it makes my stomache turn. It doesn't bother me to see it in a package. And lots of farming for veggies.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
My experience with Piggly Wiggly is that the store is as good (or bad) as its local management. The PW in my town is just okay. The one in the next town over is better. If I had a Publix nearby I'd go to that instead (but I have no choice in my teeny tiny town.)

Old 02-16-2007, 11:28 AM

592 posts, read 2,810,000 times
Default Piggly wiggly

I believe Piggly Wiggly is still owned by the Minor family in Duluth, MN. They have a number of other stores called Super 1 here in Minnesota and in my humble opinion, they offer one of the finest varietys of groceries around. My grandmother worked for the Minor's years ago and never had a bad thing to say about them as employers....and they still run a pretty tight ship in there stores here.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:39 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,146,916 times
The Piggly Wiggly's I've used in South Carolina, were acceptable for your basic grocery shopping. They didn't offer many of the extras that a neighboring Publix offered, but then their prices weren't as high as the Publix either. Personally I prefer Bi-Lo, their prices were on par with Piggly Wiggly, with some of the extra's that Publix offered.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:16 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times
Default If you eat such a thing:

There was one thing we used to be able to buy there that I have not seen in any other store anywhere else since - and I don't remember exactly how it was marketed (what they called it)...but man, made the BEST BLTs.
In the bacon section, they had these large packages of what must have been odd end-cuts leftover from slicing - super chunks of meat and some lard...not fatback - was leaner - meaty...and very, very edible.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:03 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,171,837 times
The thought of Piggly Wiggly's brings back such good memories. We used to have one in our town, and we always shopped there. Great store, food and people, and then all of the sudden they were bought out.

I miss our Piggly Wiggly, great store with a big heart!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2007, 03:10 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
http://www.pigglywiggly.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink