Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2024, 09:36 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times

Advertisements

This thread won't be long I am just asking is it me?

I bought bread and organic eggs from a brand (family) I know doesn't make me sick like all other eggs do. White bread is a treat for me so I was happy to get a small loaf of the Wonder bread and the Pete and Gerry brown eggs.

Well I made an egg sandwich and the bread tasted horrible and eggs gave me that sickening feeling the other brands would always make me feel and taste.

I checked the sell by dates on both and I have over a week to buy them so I am good with that. I checked the butter too and that is good too. I figured I will try another way to cook the eggs and this time make toast. Well damn still not good it's like they were sour? or maybe a better word would be like they went bad when they were still new from the store recently bought about two days ago.

What the heck is going on with the bread and eggs?

Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM

12,440 posts, read 9,529,208 times
I don't know - eggs normally keep quite awhile so long as they are refrigerated, and you can see mold on bread. It sounds like you've had issues before - have you ever been tested for food allergies?

Old Yesterday, 06:58 AM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
our taste buds can change. Bread & eggs, so far, taste the same for me.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
I've never really noticed a difference in egg brands. I usually just buy whatever cage free egg is cheapest. They've always tasted fine to me.

Are you on any medications that could be affecting how foods taste to you? I'm on Mounjaro, and while it hasn't affected my taste buds, there are many in my MJ Facebook group who report that certain foods taste terrible to them now.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
I only ever had a problem with eggs since somewhere in the year 2018 ever since. I never had a problem with the Pete and Gerry's organic eggs before now.

Now I decided to try hot dog rolls from the same brand the white bread is from and they taste so much better than their regular white sandwich bread.

Getting an allergy test is a good idea, thanks. But before I do I will try a new purchase of them first to make sure it wasn't something in that batch of eggs and bread. Never know if it's just an odd thing that happened during the making of the bread or what may have changed in the chicken feed.

Last edited by staystill; Yesterday at 08:20 AM.. Reason: yes I am on meds but they are the same I always had except I added Iron that I was low on.

Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
If it was just the bread or just the eggs I would say something might be wrong with them, but that you had a weird reaction to both makes me think it's probably that something changed with you. And while I get the bread, that there is only one brand of eggs you can eat is pretty strange.

We bought eggs from a farm stand recently. They had all the eggs on shelves in a shed and told us they would be good for at least a month at room temperature, no refrigeration needed. It takes eggs a really long time to go bad.

Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If it was just the bread or just the eggs I would say something might be wrong with them, but that you had a weird reaction to both makes me think it's probably that something changed with you. And while I get the bread, that there is only one brand of eggs you can eat is pretty strange.

We bought eggs from a farm stand recently. They had all the eggs on shelves in a shed and told us they would be good for at least a month at room temperature, no refrigeration needed. It takes eggs a really long time to go bad.
This. You, OP were the common denominator here. Consider that if you can't find a favorite brand and reluctantly buy a substitute, you may be on high alert for any differences. You could sort of psyche yourself into finding something wrong with it!

IME, histamine reactions (like seasonal allergy symptoms...blocked, stuffy nose and/or sinuses etc.) can influence how things taste. Your senses of taste and smell are closely linked.

Raw eggs in undamaged shells can sit on a shelf without refrigeration quite well. A mildly cool pantry or cupboard that doesn't get heated by sunlight or the stove is perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink