Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:19 AM

12,441 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Freezer burn is pretty obvious visually on beef - that grey or light brown color. It doesn't render food unsafe, but a steak with serious freezer burn won't have great taste and texture anymore - some sources suggest using such beef in a stew to hydrate and tenderize it, and to some extent have the broth flavors dominate the beef flavors.

https://reviewed.usatoday.com/refrig...-to-prevent-it

Old 04-19-2024, 11:20 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
As pointed out, there are a bunch of factors.

Ground meats will have problems faster than whole cuts. I still have some $4/lb ribeye primal in the freezer.

Special packaging need to be used for frost free freezers. The issue with those is the temperature swings that promote sublimation to remove the frost. Storing properly wrapped or sealed items in a cardboard box can limit those swings and make food last longer. Bubble wrap can do much the same. Absent those, water packing can make a difference.

Actual temp in the freezer makes a difference. 5 degrees is much worse than -5 degrees.

Some chemical processes continue on even at sub-zero temperatures. This may seem counter-intuitive, but we've grown up in a time when any freezing is considered close to stasis. That only occurs at absolute zero.

I max out at about 18 months for ground meat, 2 to 3 months for any veggies (blueberries excepted - they seem to last for years), six years for primal packed meat, maybe a little more for a shrink wrapped whole chicken properly over-wrapped. Bread products vary wildly. A week can be too much for some, English muffins can go a couple months. Soups vary as well. A beef stew can go a couple years or more. Cream soups don't fare well in general and a couple months is about as much as I can tolerate. YMMV

Old 04-20-2024, 01:35 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Extreme example I can give is 13 years for Cryovac wrapped roast . It was as if it was purchased yesterday.

Old 04-20-2024, 09:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
We have 3 refrigerator freezers for a two person household. Lots of meat. But I've stopped buying steaks for the freezer. Even on sale, they're too damn expensive to freeze. So much better tasting when fresh.

Lots of pork and chicken - all marked with a date and used within a year. Hamburger meat used within 3-4 months. Roasted hatch Chile's and poblanos can be in there for over a year, but definitely start to lose their flavor and heat at about the 15 month mark. Homemade stock - 6 months or less.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:07 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
I’ve had meat in the freezer for years

One recent surprise….. I thawed a frozen 2 year old spiral ham … that looked a little
Freezer burnt….. thawed and cooked for my lady and surprisingly one of the best
Hams we had … it was a carando brand ..

Old 04-20-2024, 08:00 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I never have that much meat in my freezer. I use every bit and never let it sit in my freezer more than a few months before cooking it. But then again I live in a town where I have Access to grocery stores less than a 10 minute drive. It's only 2 of us and I buy enough meat for the week. I do weekly shopping. I can't see having a freezer chest full of meat to last me months it's way to much.
Same here, with many grocery stores within a 5-mile radius.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:23 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Depends on how it's been stored. Everything we seal in foodsaver bags is good for years. I would never have anything in my freezer for 10 years, so I don't know.
Last fall my son cooked FoodSaver pandemic chicken breast. It was fine.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:38 AM

4,188 posts, read 3,401,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I’ve had meat in the freezer for years

One recent surprise….. I thawed a frozen 2 year old spiral ham … that looked a little
Freezer burnt….. thawed and cooked for my lady and surprisingly one of the best
Hams we had … it was a carando brand ..
I think that's our go-to brand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink