Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times

Advertisements

I got into watching a lot of cooking Tik-Toks over the last year. BBQ is one of my favorite foods. My gas grill has seen better days, and my girlfriend got me a Traeger for Christmas.

I've cooked all sorts of things on it - beef back ribs, spare ribs, baby backs, a pork butt, burgers, some steaks, wings, chicken legs, thighs, bone-in center cut pork chops all come to mind.

I've found that I prefer items that cook faster to the longer BBQ type cooks.

My ribs have gotten much better, but they generally take six hours to cook. I have to refill the pellet hopper a time or two. I get probably two meals out of a rack.

The beef ribs had an amazing flavor, but it was basically a "ribeye on a stick."

Pork seems to be the best on it. A thick, pork chop smoked at about 250 on the smoker then finished over gas to get a good sear is terrific. I do wings at 375, and they are some of the best wings I've had. The thighs weren't great. Legs are great.

I bought a six pound pork butt. After getting the bone out and the fat rendering off, I was probably left with three or four meals for something that took most of the day to cook. The value just didn't seem to be there.

What are your favorite things to cook on your pellet grill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2024, 07:06 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
What are your favorite things to cook on your pellet grill?
No pellet grill here, but I do a lot of stuff on the kamado grill. I have learned a ton by following the Big Green Egg Forum (https://eggheadforum.com). Some of the topics won't be applicable to pellet grills, but there are lots of very knowledgeable folks there, willing to share tips and great recipes.

Old 04-05-2024, 09:10 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I routinely smoke the whole pork shoulders for pulled pork, seasoned pork chops, beef tri tip, wild mallard duck, venison chops, homemade baked beans, pork loin, wild goose pastrami, beef pastrami.. I mean I could go on and on here

Old 04-06-2024, 02:01 PM

22,314 posts, read 29,400,492 times
None. Sold my Traeger because it was having 100 degree temp swings and I couldn't trust it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink