Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 07:55 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve got no problem with room temperature foods. As long as they start out piping hot, I think they’d be fine. I wonder if everyone would finish, one at a time, or hop from one to another?
I would def hop around. Curiosity asks which would you choose, one at a time or hopping about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 07:59 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I would def hop around. Curiosity asks which would you choose, one at a time or hopping about?
I would have to hop around. Then I’d probably finish my favorite first, then second favorite, and 3rd.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:02 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I'd certainly try something like that. Great way to try some styles you wouldn't normally buy as a full bowl if you didn't know you liked it. I'd be a hop arounder just to compare the various tastes.

Old 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I have to admit I wouldn't see the point for myself. I would want a wine or scotch flight so I could taste before I buy a whole expensive bottle, or try several brands/types side-by-side to decide on one. For soup, I wouldn't need this... a bowl of soup is not as expensive as a bottle of alcohol and also isn't more than one serving, I can tell by the description in the menu whether it's something I would like (even if I found after ordering that it maybe wasn't my favorite version of that particular soup, or even if I didn't really like it, it's only one bowl and I never have to buy it again). And I'm not sure if I'd be happy with just a few spoonfuls of a bunch of different ones.

(Now, an ice cream flight...)

Old 03-30-2024, 09:58 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
That looked good. I love soup so I would get that. A flight of wines to complement the soup would make it even better!

Old 04-03-2024, 07:24 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve got no problem with room temperature foods. As long as they start out piping hot, I think they’d be fine. I wonder if everyone would finish, one at a time, or hop from one to another?
Yeah, if you get a normal large bowl of soup, or large coffee for that matter, it won't be piping hot as you get through the last third, but it's not like it suddenly becomes awful, it's fine.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:27 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I'd be all over it, I love soup. However, I wonder about the feasibility of it long term, for the restaurant. There's a reason most restaurants offer a "soup of the day" and maybe one other option...soup takes time to cook and needs to be made in bigger batches. Making several to offer in a flight sounds expensive.

I've often grumbled about being charged $6 or $7 for a bowl of soup at a restaurant..."it's only soup!". But think about it. The longer something sits on a stove top or over heat, the higher the cost. When I make soup at home I fill a crock pot and refrigerate or freeze the leftover for future meals, not one small bowl at a time.

My local grocery store has a soup bar in the deli, there are 4-5 varieties of soup every day in big simmer pots. For the price, I'm guessing the soup comes in big cans and they just keep it warmed in the pots all day over steaming water.
These days, even mass produced and canned soup is $3 or more at the supermarket, so $6-$7 for a fresh hot soup dish, made from scratch in the restaurant kitchen is pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink