Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2024, 09:01 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

Ew season premieres Sunday night on Food Network. The first episode is the most over the top with these cooks preparing their signature dish. I believe these “cooks” may be intentionally going over the top on their signature dish or they were coached to do so by producers. However, when it comes to later episodes where they’re receiving some training and told what to prepare and how to do it, their lack of skills becomes apparent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 07:26 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
These "reality" TV shows generally seem to feel a great need to create some kind of drama, tension or conflict. These aspects are definitely forced and I don't care for these types of shows.

The worst of the cooking genre are the Gordon Ramsey series. I mean, I think he's an a------ naturally to begin with, but I think he actually amps it up for these shows. An insufferably arrogant and rude man.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:50 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Reminds me of one of Rodney dangerfields line

“ my wife was such a bad cook, we prayed AFTER the meal!”

Old 01-08-2024, 08:11 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
We watched it last night just to see and sure enough most of the "recruits" were pretty much clowns hamming it up for the camera. I can believe that people don't know how to cook. But people can't be that stupid, like the guy trying to slice butter with the handle of a grater. Or some of the costumes they wear.

For the last couple of years, we haven't been able to watch past the first few episodes, they're so bad. When the show first started, they were supposedly people who couldn't cook and created strange combinations but now the producers seem to be seeking out clowns and encouraging them to do silly things for a funny video shot. Like the guy with the electric mixer that wasn't plugged in just waving it through the bowl.

One thing that really bothered me was how they treated the lobster. I can understand people not knowing where their food comes from and her discomfort at killing it. But I can't stand the disrespect Ann and the producers showed toward the animal by laughing at it moving around in the pot and putting up silly cartoons. They should have shown the proper way to dispatch the lobster before putting it in the pot and then treat the animal with respect.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:18 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
All of those network shows are staged and scripted, full of tiresome repeats.

For some genuine entertainment check out the Cooking With Jack videos on Youtube, amateur videos made by what appear to be a morbidly obese bachelor cooking in his kitchen at home, or reviewing "As seen on TV" gimmicks. Some of his recipes look downright disgusting, and all of them are extremely fattening and unhealthy, which is probably why he finally had a stroke. He's been posting videos there for 16 years, the older ones are the best.

https://www.youtube.com/@cookingwithjackshow/videos

Old 01-08-2024, 10:44 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Reminds me of one of Rodney dangerfields line

“ my wife was such a bad cook, we prayed AFTER the meal!”
LOL prayed that they wouldn't get sick

Old 01-08-2024, 07:17 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,131,769 times
I would welcome a show with folks honestly wanting to learn to cook basics. This show is a total joke, and so obviously scripted to be stupid.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3chidogs View Post
I would welcome a show with folks honestly wanting to learn to cook basics. This show is a total joke, and so obviously scripted to be stupid.
Yes, I agree, but still, I have to admit the guy making Orange Chicken using a lot of orange food coloring was pretty funny. We record it, and later in the week when nothing better is on, we will watch it.

Old 01-10-2024, 07:53 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,241,772 times
When that series first started, the contestants were more genuine and less cartoonish. They mostly seemed to be interested in improving their cooking skills and appeared to be making a real effort to learn and improve. As time went on, the producers (or whoever was making the decisions) seemed to think the contestants needed to be presented as clueless idiots who really shouldn't be allowed near a kitchen or food or other humans. Now it's just a bunch of buffoons. It's become unwatchable.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:48 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Finally watched it last night (first episode). Seemed to be a theme of spoiled and pampered. Some still loved at home with parents, some came from wealthy families, one had a mother and husband who are chefs, and one is the daughter of rock singer Eddie Money (Two Tickets to Paradise). A few were cartoonish in their first dish preparations. Some were making a serious effort. The second dish they all made a genuine effort. Won’t watch rest of season. Though not as entertaining l, I would like to watch a real cooking lesson program with real bad cooks learning the basics and watch their self confidence and development as they learn to cook basic foods on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink