Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 12:52 PM

19,785 posts, read 22,695,361 times

Advertisements

My wife is all into avocado toast. I have no idea why.

She likes to think she is environmentally conscious so I tell her about the absurd amount of water it takes to grow one avocado, and she laments and agrees but buys them anyways. In the meanwhile we grow a variety of fruit and make sugar free jams and it goes unused in the cupboard.

I don't get it. Avocado has the taste of nothingness and the texture of mushy bananas.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:00 PM

8,081 posts, read 7,454,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I didn't know it was due to one guy.

And, actually, I didn't see what the big deal was to merit the price.

You never know what's going to go viral, and why.

I think Avocado Toast lost its hipness when Dunkin Donuts rolled out their version to the masses about 3 years ago. Don't know if they still serve it.

RIP Mr. Granger.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:05 PM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I don't get it either, unless it was a specific combination of seasonings being added to the avocado. I grew up around avocados. Everyone in my family loved them and had easy access to them. I've been putting avocado on toast/sandwiches of various kinds most of my life. So many other foods serve as great avocado delivery systems. Often times an aging one has enough good bits left to make an otherwise blah sandwich a lot better.
Me neither. I mean I've had avocados on sandwiches for a long time and even on toast. Don't have anything against it but don't understand what the hype is about either.

Dang! Now I'm thinking about an avacado BLT on toast for lunch and I don't have any bacon in the house.

Old 01-08-2024, 01:15 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
I'm make avo toast for lunch now.... I'll add radishes, dukkah, and arugula, and EBTB, maybe some balsamic glaze
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-08-2024, 01:39 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
It was something new to have in restaurants here when Bill Grainger started his first restaurant, bills.

But it later became synonymous with the notion of youthful extravagance when one of our politicians proclaimed that young people would be able to buy a home if they stopped going out to eat avocado toast. That got a lot of publicity because the Sydney obsession is real estate.

People did not go out to breakfast very much in Australia decades ago and bills and his later restaurants provided a new way of enticing us to do so.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:40 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
Another thing that Bill Grainger innovated or encouraged was the concept of a shared table in a restaurant. Initially as his first restaurant was so small that it was a better use of space.

But also, his mother was a vegetarian and his father a butcher. They ate separately nearly all the time and so the family only very rarely had a family meal together. He believed meals should ideally be relaxed and social, which was encouraged by the large shared table in the centre of his first cafe.

Awful that he died of cancer at 54. Much too young. I just had my usual breakfast of toast with Vegemite and avocado, thinking of Bill.

Old 01-08-2024, 02:55 PM

1,500 posts, read 887,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My wife is all into avocado toast. I have no idea why.

She likes to think she is environmentally conscious so I tell her about the absurd amount of water it takes to grow one avocado, and she laments and agrees but buys them anyways. In the meanwhile we grow a variety of fruit and make sugar free jams and it goes unused in the cupboard.

I don't get it. Avocado has the taste of nothingness and the texture of mushy bananas.
Agreed. Belongs only in guacamole

Old 01-08-2024, 02:56 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Had my avocado toast for lunch and it was delicious!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-08-2024, 04:57 PM

3,216 posts, read 1,682,361 times
Avocadoes is best used as a dip. On a toast it taste like mushy mess, since it can't get absorbed by the toasted bread I rather have butter or melted cheese provides a far better texture with toasted bread.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:34 PM

30,182 posts, read 11,821,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I didn't know it was due to one guy.

And, actually, I didn't see what the big deal was to merit the price.

Bill Granger, Chef Who Brought Avocado Toast to the World, Dies at 54
His breakfast cuisine catapulted Australian cafe culture to international acclaim, although some saw his best-known dish as an example of millennial excess.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/12/28/d...nger-dead.html

'Godfather' of avocado toast Bill Granger dies, aged 54
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-67825337

Bill Granger, renowned Australian cook, dies aged 54
https://www.theguardian.com/food/202...k-dies-aged-54
I thought you were saying that the popularity of avocado toast had died. My bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink