Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 09:46 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,513,508 times

Advertisements

For many years, when I bought Johnsonville Italian sausages-- AFAIK the only kind available without access to a specialty butcher counter-- the skins were crisp after cooking, or at least they had a different texture than the inside. You really needed a sharp knife to cut them easily, yet once in your mouth they were easily chewed, unlike synthetic casings according to what I've heard about those. In the old Johnsonville sausages, the skins contributed a nice snappy quality to the overall mouth-feel.

But for the past few years, it seems that that Johnsonville's sausage casings are either nonexistent or so thin they might as well be. Based on what I said above, I don't think they're using synthetics, but they're definitely not using the traditional skins from the gut, either. You can cut these sausages with the side of your fork, and you really can't slice them anymore because when you try it, what used to be a firm disc-like slice of sausage now breaks up into small chunks. The sausages still taste good but they feel fake.

If they haven't changed the casings, then what else did they do to change this product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 07:01 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
If they haven't changed the casings, then what else did they do to change this product?
Contact them directly and ask ?
https://johnsonville.com/contact/

Old 01-01-2024, 08:06 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
For many years, when I bought Johnsonville Italian sausages-- [[b]AFAIK the only kind available without access to a specialty butcher counter[/B]-- the skins were crisp after cooking, or at least they had a different texture than the inside. You really needed a sharp knife to cut them easily, yet once in your mouth they were easily chewed, unlike synthetic casings according to what I've heard about those. In the old Johnsonville sausages, the skins contributed a nice snappy quality to the overall mouth-feel.
I've no idea where you are shopping, but our regular, standard grocery stores typically have two other brands of sausages next to the johnsonville brand. Typically, the store brand and another national brand, usually Carando or Premio. Johnsonville is my last choice because of the bland flavor.

Old 01-01-2024, 01:03 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,513,508 times
Quote:
I've no idea where you are shopping
Mostly just the big chains in my area, namely Walmart, Albertsons, Winco, and Fred Meyer. I haven't seen the other brands you mentioned.

Old 01-04-2024, 09:20 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
It might depend on the girth of your sausage… Johnsonville breakfast sausage is made from pencil casings… Usually from lamb
The thicker, larger Italian sausage… Are usually made with hog casings… Which are thicker

I’ve made sausage for over 40 years… And even sometimes the casings/skins are thinner than others… they are much more delicate and easier to break when you put them on the sausage horn …

Old 01-05-2024, 07:59 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
It might depend on the girth of your sausage… Johnsonville breakfast sausage is made from pencil casings… Usually from lamb
The thicker, larger Italian sausage… Are usually made with hog casings… Which are thicker

I’ve made sausage for over 40 years… And even sometimes the casings/skins are thinner than others… they are much more delicate and easier to break when you put them on the sausage horn …
I’m surprised given various allergies and religious restrictions that any of the national brands of sausages would still use animal casings.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:18 AM

8,751 posts, read 5,044,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I’m surprised given various allergies and religious restrictions that any of the national brands of sausages would still use animal casings.
Sausage meat it self is made with pig.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:15 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,679,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

I learned something new with this. I've never actually made sausage at home but I didn't know there are different casings (thickness) for specific types. Well, I'll be. Good info, mainebrokerman.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:27 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
Sausage meat it self is made with pig.
“All beef” ______ with a lamb or pork casing? I know people who are allergic to mutton & lamb. If they buy a pork breakfast sausage link with a lamb casing they could have digestive issues.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:34 AM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
“All beef” ______ with a lamb or pork casing? I know people who are allergic to mutton & lamb. If they buy a pork breakfast sausage link with a lamb casing they could have digestive issues.
I would think that people with serious food allergies habitually read the ingredients list. Heck, my dog is mildly allergic to chicken and I read the ingredient list before I buy any dog treats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink