Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2023, 10:31 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times

Advertisements

I bought a tiny little 1.5 oz can because the non McCormick containers of ground black pepper were not what I would call pepper. They were way too mild and a had a funny aftertaste. So I thought I would buy the smallest can of McCormick black pepper and see if there is a difference. Wow, it smells and tastes great.

Thinking to upgrade even more, I bought some McCormick whole black peppercorns that comes in a disposable clear pepper grinder, and compared it to the ground pepper in the little can. I much prefer the smell and taste of the ground pepper. Who knew? Just taking a whiff of this pepper, you immediately think, so this is what pepper is supposed to smell like!

Ground black pepper will lose it's taste quite a bit after its opened or if its old, so buying the little 1.5 oz can means I use it up quickly. It's not sitting around in a big container that has been previously opened. The fresh ground has a different taste too. More of a bite, but it will overpower the food, so no matter what you put it on, the food tastes mostly like pepper. It might be better in a soup or something like that, but the whole peppercorn can be dropped in for that use. Anyway, I'm giving the pepper in the grinder away, and keeping the ground pepper in the little cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2023, 12:28 PM

2,502 posts, read 2,070,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I bought a tiny little 1.5 oz can because the non McCormick containers of ground black pepper were not what I would call pepper. They were way too mild and a had a funny aftertaste. So I thought I would buy the smallest can of McCormick black pepper and see if there is a difference. Wow, it smells and tastes great.

Thinking to upgrade even more, I bought some McCormick whole black peppercorns that comes in a disposable clear pepper grinder, and compared it to the ground pepper in the little can. I much prefer the smell and taste of the ground pepper. Who knew? Just taking a whiff of this pepper, you immediately think, so this is what pepper is supposed to smell like!

Ground black pepper will lose it's taste quite a bit after its opened or if its old, so buying the little 1.5 oz can means I use it up quickly. It's not sitting around in a big container that has been previously opened. The fresh ground has a different taste too. More of a bite, but it will overpower the food, so no matter what you put it on, the food tastes mostly like pepper. It might be better in a soup or something like that, but the whole peppercorn can be dropped in for that use. Anyway, I'm giving the pepper in the grinder away, and keeping the ground pepper in the little cans.
Good to know!

Old 01-06-2024, 09:27 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I have the Kirkland course black pepper from Costco. It is so fragrant and good. It is a big container, so we’ll see if it loses flavor before we finish it.

Old 01-07-2024, 07:56 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have the Kirkland course black pepper from Costco. It is so fragrant and good. It is a big container, so we’ll see if it loses flavor before we finish it.
I use this nearly all the time, mostly because it's so much easier to keep in a small ramekin on the countertop next to the stove top, where I have the kosher salt in a matching ramekin. Like kosher salt, it's easier and quicker to spread the pepper evenly and see how much you're using by taking a pinch instead of grinding or shaking a can.

Yeah, it gets mild at the bottom unless you use it quickly. Cost and value make it easy to pitch it when that happens.

Old 01-10-2024, 04:55 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Yes, the ground pepper is the best.

I also found that putting whole peppercorns in a coffee grinder works wonders at giving it that extra oomph of fresh pepper flavor. You gotta pulverize it to a fine powder to get it popping!! Those twist by hand pepper grinders are useless and a waste of perfectly good pepper (of any brand name).

Old 01-13-2024, 02:04 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I have to agree. Maybe it's because it's because it was the first pepper I ever tasted.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:56 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
I don't buy McCormick black pepper anymore because the red & white tin can has a white
plastic lid that always soon does not snap closed.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:27 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
The quality of spices varies so much these days it’s often best to buy smaller sizes in case the jar turns out to be a dud. Last month I bought an expensive tin of ground cinnamon from Amazon and found it was not a good as the $1 cinnamon I got from the big display bin at Walmart.

We buy the Costco ground pepper, it’s convenient and OK for salads. Keep the remainder in the freezer and it will last much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink