Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 10:06 PM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Coriander is a spice/herb - you mean a colander?
Pretty sure he called it a coriander. A colander wouldn’t work well for Cafe Bustelo. It is fine ground & would go through a colander. The coriander was a cloth strainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 10:12 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
I don't care how my coffee is made, I just don't want any grounds in my mouth when I drink it.

And coriander is a freaking spice !

Old 11-10-2021, 08:08 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
You can pour it out of the boiled water and the grounds are left behind... Even then, a "sludge" will be left at the bottom of the cup; just leave the last sip behind. It's worth it to me to enjoy REAL coffee that doesn't taste like lukewarm dishwater - or nothing at all!

Old 11-10-2021, 10:25 AM

2,615 posts, read 3,144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
I don't care how my coffee is made, I just don't want any grounds in my mouth when I drink it.

And coriander is a freaking spice !
May have been a colador. I see one on Amazon roughly similar to what he had.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:25 AM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I followed the recipe from my 1950s Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook that I found for a buck at a garage sale.

Put the cold water in the pan/pot along with the ground, bring to just a boil, then lower heat, simmer for five minutes, remove from heat, pour in a quarter cup of cold water (supposed to settle the grounds, and let it sit for five more. GOOD COFFEE.

I actually used a coffeepot--an old blue and white spatterware thing I also found at a garage sale that had no insides, but it had a hinged lid.

The closest I've come to that old coffee was an electric percolator.
I am going to try this! I'd like to have a percolator but I checked prices and they are pretty expensive. Still, I had a chance to have percolated coffee a couple years ago and loved the taste. I'm also thinking of trying a Moka pot.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:25 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
Turkish coffee is made that way too. Bring water to a boil and put the coffee and sugar in. Remove and put back over the heat 3 times, then pour off. The grounds quickly settle at the bottom as they are usually medium ground!

Old 01-01-2022, 09:20 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I am going to try this! I'd like to have a percolator but I checked prices and they are pretty expensive. Still, I had a chance to have percolated coffee a couple years ago and loved the taste. I'm also thinking of trying a Moka pot.
Around $20-25

Old 01-01-2022, 09:41 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I use a French Press daily. They say to stir the pot to settle the grounds. If you don’t the stay on top.

So to me it makes sense that boiling would stir the grounds by the agitation boiling causes. No need to further settle.

Old 01-05-2022, 12:08 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Perked (boiled/cooked) coffee all tastes the same, if all you got is cheap coffee, by all means perk it. Its drinkable, sort of, though to me its not really coffee. As another poster said, for hot coffee, you want water just under boiling, like 195F. And high quality grounds. Without an actual thermometer handy, look for tiny bubbles starting to rise to surface in pot water. Water really, really needs to be around 195F for hot brewed coffee, give or take 5F.

The absolute best coffee is to first make make a coffee concentrate by soaking GOOD QUALITY coffee grounds in cold water over night. Add that to hot water for your preferred strength. It unfortunately takes lot more coffee grounds than hot brewed coffee. But you dont lose the subtle flavors in good coffee grounds.

If you are adding flavoring/sugar/cream, then you dont really like coffee. Good coffee doesnt need doctoring. If you are at some diner that serves nasty bitter coffee, three or four individual grains table salt improves it immensely. NO MORE than that per cup, salty coffee is not pleasant. Well at least makes it drinkable, if kinda bland. Its not made from good quality grounds when its like this, and probably been in the pot for a while too. Lot better than that nasty chemical creamer and several pkts sugar.

Somebody mentioned Folgers. They used to make much better quality coffee. I used to actually like their light roast coffee when it came in the steel cans. About the time they went plastic, quality went way down. It used to be even better than that back when Folgers was an independent company that only made coffee, not part of some mega corp. 1960s?? Last canned coffee I liked was brand called Martinsons original (all steel can). I think its a regional company. What I got was from salvage (dented can) grocery. They got odd lots of stuff, sometimes small quantities of really high quality stuff (only reason I stopped by there once in a while). Regular stores in my area didnt carry Martinsons.

Old 01-05-2022, 07:36 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
The absolute best coffee is to first make make a coffee concentrate by soaking GOOD QUALITY coffee grounds in cold water over night. Add that to hot water for your preferred strength. It unfortunately takes lot more coffee grounds than hot brewed coffee. But you dont lose the subtle flavors in good coffee grounds.
This intrigues me. How much coffee to how much cold water? It'd be less trouble than making CC every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink