Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 10:29 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,812,694 times

Advertisements

I noticed lately a lot of Gas Station convenient stores have up the ante in coffees. Offering different brews and various flavors. I prefer picking up a quick coffee than having to stand online ordering from Dunkin or Starbucks. Even with mobile ordering places like Dunkin and Starbucks are just too slow to make the coffee I rather just pour it myself.

Some are offering extra strength caffeine comparable to Starbucks. The prices have gotten very competitive too, often I pay $2-4 for a cup depending on size at Dunkin or Starbucks but at gas stations all sizes for $2. Many places are offering free coffee all day long too for special events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 10:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,330,749 times
But they don't taste the same. Not even close. I don't think they are really going to be any competition for Starbucks. When I want just coffee, I prefer Quik Trip or McDonald's. If I want a latte, I'll wait in line at Starbucks.

Old 10-03-2019, 11:24 AM

20,549 posts, read 17,812,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But they don't taste the same. Not even close. I don't think they are really going to be any competition for Starbucks. When I want just coffee, I prefer Quik Trip or McDonald's. If I want a latte, I'll wait in line at Starbucks.
The word is depends. I think some here in my area like Wawa's or QuickCheks have introduced specialty coffees that are comparable to Dunkin or Starbucks medium brew. The dark roast brew can be subjective, some people thinks its burnt coffee but it has complexity if you have the palate. I tried various dark brew at different places, it's true that gas station dark brews are low quality because the flavor profile lacks complexity since they are using pre-grounded coffees and not freshly grounded which includes coffee oils that gives it the aroma.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:55 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,954,672 times
The difference is that coffee shop employees have one job, which is to make good, fresh coffee, and gas station employees have a dozen jobs they're trying to do at once, so if you're getting coffee at an odd time or drinking an unpopular brew, you may end up with coffee that's been in the pot all day.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:27 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,652,918 times
There’s a Starbucks near my house that I go to often for my morning skinny vanilla latte with an extra espresso shot. I even prefer regular drip coffee from there over any gas station coffee which has often times been undrinkable.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:56 PM

5,215 posts, read 3,151,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
The difference is that coffee shop employees have one job, which is to make good, fresh coffee, and gas station employees have a dozen jobs they're trying to do at once, so if you're getting coffee at an odd time or drinking an unpopular brew, you may end up with coffee that's been in the pot all day.
I don’t know, an employee at the Starbucks I visited recently played PC professor and corrected my un-woke grammar. I ordered a small brewed coffee, black. The 20-something barista stared at me, blinked, and said “Sir, you should ask to leave room for cream”. Skooled I was...

Next time I’ll tell them to leave room — for my white privilege.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:00 PM

11,171 posts, read 8,023,165 times
Goes great with gas station sushi.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:13 PM

5,215 posts, read 3,151,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Goes great with gas station sushi.
Roller grill sushi — why not? — what?

Old 10-04-2019, 05:25 AM

27,239 posts, read 44,210,944 times
I think for the person that likes "real dark roast coffee" and it's true flavor not muddied up with syrups/lots of sweetner and equal parts creamer, gas station brew isn't going to do the trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink