Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 02:02 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,239,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wouldn't go out and buy one, but if someone hands me a cinnamon roll or a well made bear claw in the morning, I'll eat it.

Except hardly anyone makes a good bear claw anymore and I don't like artificial cinnamon which seems to be what comes in bakery cinnamon rolls.

Still, if a good one comes my way, I'm not going to turn it down.

Maybe the glopped up donuts are a novelty to get customers to come into the store? Its hard to imagine anyone going in and buying 2 dozen of those things to take to the office.
At least in our small town, it's a draw for children (they have themes, like "Shark Week" or "Back to School"). Then, presumably, the accompanying adult will buy at least coffee and another donut and maybe a dozen to bring home or cookies or whatever else appeals to the child brought in for the gooey, gimmicky donut...

I've noticed that when people do bring donuts to our office, it's hard to find a plain cake or even glazed specimen among them. Most have at least one addition: a coating of frosting, sprinkles on top, jelly or creme filling.

Yuck!

Last edited by otterhere; 08-15-2019 at 02:43 PM..

Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,118,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Especially first thing in the morning???
Never on an empty stomach.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:05 PM

20,457 posts, read 14,823,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I wouldn't go out and buy one, but if someone hands me a cinnamon roll or a well made bear claw in the morning, I'll eat it.

Except hardly anyone makes a good bear claw anymore and I don't like artificial cinnamon which seems to be what comes in bakery cinnamon rolls.

Still, if a good one comes my way, I'm not going to turn it down.

Maybe the glopped up donuts are a novelty to get customers to come into the store? Its hard to imagine anyone going in and buying 2 dozen of those things to take to the office.
LOL not in my office!

There is constantly food, and mostly sweets, everywhere here. One day I came in, and for no particular reason at all, one of my teammates had brought doughnuts. Later another teammate came in, also with doughnuts. Again, it was no special occasion, so that was odd, and my team is a small one anyhow. Then on the other side of the office, first brownies and then cupcakes appeared for communal consumption. Then I noticed a heap of small bags of variety potato chips, and candy, in the main break room. Then I came back to my area, and the team right next to mine...someone had also brought...doughnuts...

It was out of control. At the risk of offending the legitimately diabetic among us, I snarked that I felt as though I was getting "secondhand diabeetus" just sitting in the room with all of this sugary food everywhere. Any moment now, Wilford Brimley is going to jump out of the woodwork and stage some sort of an intervention.... And then, if that were not enough, one of the ladies who had brought the doughnuts, begged everyone to please take them home so she did not have to. I did, though, I took some. I've got two boys, age 17 and 20, at home, and they are skinny little dudes with big appetites, I figured it wouldn't kill them.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:13 PM

22,125 posts, read 13,239,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL not in my office!

There is constantly food, and mostly sweets, everywhere here. One day I came in, and for no particular reason at all, one of my teammates had brought doughnuts. Later another teammate came in, also with doughnuts. Again, it was no special occasion, so that was odd, and my team is a small one anyhow. Then on the other side of the office, first brownies and then cupcakes appeared for communal consumption. Then I noticed a heap of small bags of variety potato chips, and candy, in the main break room. Then I came back to my area, and the team right next to mine...someone had also brought...doughnuts...

It was out of control. At the risk of offending the legitimately diabetic among us, I snarked that I felt as though I was getting "secondhand diabeetus" just sitting in the room with all of this sugary food everywhere. Any moment now, Wilford Brimley is going to jump out of the woodwork and stage some sort of an intervention.... And then, if that were not enough, one of the ladies who had brought the doughnuts, begged everyone to please take them home so she did not have to. I did, though, I took some. I've got two boys, age 17 and 20, at home, and they are skinny little dudes with big appetites, I figured it wouldn't kill them.
If it were a bowl of nuts or a tray of veggies, that would be nice. But, alas, it never is.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:19 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,466,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If I end up with a cupcake like that (at a potluck or party), I scrape off and dispose of all the but the thinnest layer of frosting, all that is needed, on what is - again - an already sweet cupcake. And I love candy. But baked breakfast goods are not, should not be, candy.

I just find it a silly, yes, GIMMICK and will be glad when the trend dies out, although with people still posting pics of their food after all these years of social media, it may never. I feel sorry for the children upon whom these saccharine confections are foisted (a target audience), as they'll never know tasteful, restrained pastry.
It's nice for an advertisement, but what's really appetizing is a simple glazed next to a steaming cup of coffee. No sugar packets or cream necessary in the shot, even if you will inevitably add them.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:48 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,198,336 times
If you don't like them, then don't eat them, it's as simple as that. Some people enjoy a simple donut, with no frills, some people enjoy an over the top candy and icing covered donut, and some people, like me, enjoy both types. I don't get offended by the people who enjoy a plain donut, because everyone is different, their likes and dislikes are not my own. I love a good chocolate cake donut, with a filled peanut butter and powdered sugar center, topped with peanut butter cups. Yum!

As for starting the day with nothing but sugar, that can be said for a majority of breakfasts, not just donuts. Most cereals are full of sugar, pancakes/waffles/ french toast are covered in syrup. Cinnamon rolls, muffins, also full of sugar. Even granola bars, cliff bars, etc are all full of sugar, so you can't just point the finger at donuts being too sweet to start th day with. There is a plethora of other sugar laden breakfast foods out there.

Personally ever since I started on the Intermittent fasting lifestyle I eat my donuts as my dessert. It works for me, but again I don't get upset at those who choose to eat their donuts or other sugary breakfasts when they do. You just got to let it all go and just do you.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 6,521,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
If you don't like them, then don't eat them, it's as simple as that. Some people enjoy a simple donut, with no frills, some people enjoy an over the top candy and icing covered donut, and some people, like me, enjoy both types. I don't get offended by the people who enjoy a plain donut, because everyone is different, their likes and dislikes are not my own. I love a good chocolate cake donut, with a filled peanut butter and powdered sugar center, topped with peanut butter cups. Yum!

As for starting the day with nothing but sugar, that can be said for a majority of breakfasts, not just donuts. Most cereals are full of sugar, pancakes/waffles/ french toast are covered in syrup. Cinnamon rolls, muffins, also full of sugar. Even granola bars, cliff bars, etc are all full of sugar, so you can't just point the finger at donuts being too sweet to start th day with. There is a plethora of other sugar laden breakfast foods out there.

Personally ever since I started on the Intermittent fasting lifestyle I eat my donuts as my dessert. It works for me, but again I don't get upset at those who choose to eat their donuts or other sugary breakfasts when they do. You just got to let it all go and just do you.
I agree with the above. We have a doughnut shop in town that does glazed doughnuts with the "loaded" tops. I've had one or two of them, and they're pretty tasty. In contrast, the No. 1 rated bakery that is a minute from my new house makes only basic doughnuts, from cream and jelly filled to glazed and chocolate-topped, and none of them have any frills or decorations. They also make pies with old-fashioned lard crusts, and the best chocolate chip and oatmeal cookies around. Once a week or every two weeks I buy a maple glazed or plain cruller doughnut and eat that for my lunch. It's a great treat for me, but I don't diss the people who buy the "loaded" ones either; that's their taste. It sure doesn't offend me if they eat them.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,537,548 times
OP, if these over-the-top donuts seem excessive, do not look at the hipster milkshakes they are serving now. They are balancing about two pounds of an array of junk food balanced on top through cleverly arranged scaffolds and supports. I've seen one that had an arrangement of mini treats from the buffet like cheeseburger sliders, mini hot dogs, tacos, etc. I don't know where this trend started but I'm ready for it to finish.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:32 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,794,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
For me, cake is just to hold the icing up, and to help soak up the ice cream. LOL
Not me. probably 90% of the cakes I've made this year have been unfrosted bundts. Poundcakey and delicious. Dusted with powdered sugar or cocoa at most. Sometimes a very light drizzle of lemon glaze. Not too sweet.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:33 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,794,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
OP, if these over-the-top donuts seem excessive, do not look at the hipster milkshakes they are serving now. They are balancing about two pounds of an array of junk food balanced on top through cleverly arranged scaffolds and supports. I've seen one that had an arrangement of mini treats from the buffet like cheeseburger sliders, mini hot dogs, tacos, etc. I don't know where this trend started but I'm ready for it to finish.
I've seen this on bloody Marys, but not milkshakes.

The hipster milkshakes around here are just booze-spiked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink