Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 08:45 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times

Advertisements

Low salt doesn't mean NO salt, guys...I search for the same thing, center cut.
found something at Walmart.
I did hear recently not to eat turkey bacon for some reason...a health thing they discovered.

I also know a way to cook it THE best way...there is a youtube on it...pour water just over the top...
it cooks away...then on very low... to how you like it.
When I show off, ha, people also say .."Its perfect."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

4,487 posts, read 3,865,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Low salt doesn't mean NO salt, guys...I search for the same thing, center cut.
found something at Walmart.
I did hear recently not to eat turkey bacon for some reason...a health thing they discovered.

I also know a way to cook it THE best way...there is a youtube on it...pour water just over the top...
it cooks away...then on very low... to how you like it.
When I show off, ha, people also say .."Its perfect."

Water???? Really???? Wow.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,198,781 times
I buy center cut bacon, when I buy bacon. The brand I buy is Hempler’s, which is a West Coast brand. Perhaps it is found elsewhere.

With center cut bacon, you get less fat, and more meat.

In terms of salt, or sugar for that matter, your best bet is to eat less. Cook it till it is crisp, drain on absorbent paper or towels, and eat one or two slices.

I make turkey bacon for DH. It is its own thing. You will like or not like. But you can save fat and some salt by subbing that for the real thing. But read the labels for nutritional info. Brands will differ.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:36 PM

32,669 posts, read 48,129,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
........I am not looking for a low salt, low fat bacon out of health concerns.
I actually just don't like eating super salty or super greasy foods, .......

If you are going to cook a genuine country ham, you soak it in water overnight to remove some of the salt. So I suppose you could soak bacon in a bit of water for a few minutes to soak some of the salt out of it.

To me, bacon doesn't get too salty until it is overcooked. If it is cooked dark and the fat rendered out, it will be too salty.

I buy First Street applewood smoked bacon and it is not nearly as salty as some of the supermarket brands, but it is bacon and bacon is salt cured. Bacon is also going to be more than half fat. The First Street doesn't have that chemical taste that cheaper bacon has.

Costco sometimes carries a bacon made in Canada. I think maybe it is Fletcher's brand, and that is pretty good bacon without the chemical taste. Their ham is pretty good, too.

Maybe you could eat ham steak instead. That's also salt cured but a lot more lean. Or Canadian bacon, which is also salt cured but is quite lean.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:16 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,443,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
JMO....but turkey bacon.....is not bacon.
It also usually has more sugar than regular bacon.

I eat the Pederson brand uncured, no sugar added bacon. It has no nitrites or other crap and is the "cleanest" I have found. It doesn't have a ton of fat, relatively speaking. It does have 230 mg of sodium, however. It's also really, really good.

https://pedersonsfarms.com/2017/01/0...-smoked-bacon/

Old 07-15-2019, 07:50 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,455,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
This bacon is extremely salty, I threw it out after the first slice.

I am not looking for a low salt, low fat bacon out of health concerns.
I actually just don't like eating super salty or super greasy foods, I don't like either of those tastes.

But I love bacon.

I have had bacon in restaurants that is lean, thick and not salty, so I KNOW it exists. But I just can't find it at my local stores.
Given this, have you considered asking the restaurant where they get their bacon? That would be my first step.

A few other posters have mentioned back bacon - which is actually different from Canadian Bacon - and a staple of the traditional British breakfast. It is much leaner than the U.S. pork belly bacon.

We used to get ours at Fresh & Easy until the store closed. If you have a British/UK themed store in your area you might find some there. Here's what it looks like:

https://images.app.goo.gl/q2AgGaxyi25w6F7k7

Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 PM

5,467 posts, read 8,196,025 times
My favorite is Hill’s Northwest Bacon, made in Oregon:
https://www.hillmeat.com/our-products/bacon/

I don't know if it's available outside of the Northwest.

I buy the 3# packages.

Unlike many others here, when I buy it, I sort through the packages to find one with a lot of fat and a minimum of meat. The fat is where the flavor is. Nothing better than crispy bacon fat.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 PM

4,487 posts, read 3,865,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Given this, have you considered asking the restaurant where they get their bacon? That would be my first step.

A few other posters have mentioned back bacon - which is actually different from Canadian Bacon - and a staple of the traditional British breakfast. It is much leaner than the U.S. pork belly bacon.

We used to get ours at Fresh & Easy until the store closed. If you have a British/UK themed store in your area you might find some there. Here's what it looks like:

https://images.app.goo.gl/q2AgGaxyi25w6F7k7

I LOVE BACK BACON, but the only one I've found is high sodium (salty) at Whole Foods.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:03 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
That super lean bacon was probably the belly of a hog fed ractopamine, a steroid compound that increases muscle production and inhibits fat formation.

Ractopamine is banned in 160 countries. It leaves a testable residue in the meat, so if we want to export pork, we have to sell pork from hogs that were never fed the stuff.

The USDA says the stuff is safe. Lots of other countries don't trust that.

When you pick up that package of lean bacon, make your play. Hog farmers have been breeding for leaner hogs for decades, so if it's just a little lean, it's probably natural. It's harder to tell with hams.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:32 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
I like Amish bacon. The brand I buy is Troyer's and to me it tastes different from the regular bacon. It is most definitely less fatty. I buy it from an Amish market here, but I think it might be available in some regular supermarkets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink