Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 01:27 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wouldn't consider Pringle chips. They're less than halfway composed of extruded potato pulp, and are mostly wheat, corn, and rice filler.

At best, they're a potato-flavored wafer.
Agreed. Pringles are not potato chips, they are extruded starch chips.

I make my own French fries, and like a very thin, shoestring fry. I cook them until they are golden brown, which gives them a great, crisp fried texture with minimal paste. I don't do chips, though I could slice some spuds with the food processor and give them a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:57 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvietnam View Post
Well? Who makes the lightest, crispiest, thinnest thin thin potato chips?

Inquiring minds would like to know
Tom's are pretty darn thin and pretty darn crispy. Flavored varieties taste very convincing.

They are very much a classic potato chip and very unlike a Pringle.

Also, Tom's have a very satisfying texture unlike Wise, which for some reason, mush instead of crunch.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:00 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Plain, salted Lay's Potato chips.

My last meal on earth, guaranteed.

Old 05-16-2019, 03:27 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
When I was kid, these were my father's go-to-chip. I never particularly liked them as they had way too many "burned" chips.
The "burned" chips aren't actually burned. but they don't taste right; the cause has something to do with the chemical content of the potato. Occasionally. one gets into the "feed" and one such potato will produce 15-25 chips. When I worked summers and Holiday seasonals at the Wise plant as a college student, we had people stationed at the end of the fryer to remove them, but since they came in bunches, one or two occasionally got by.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-16-2019 at 04:39 PM..

Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Thanks for quoting Wise’s history here. Their potato chips were my far-and-ahead favorite as a kid growing up in the Boston area. I was crazy about the popcorn, too. We had a local company, Cain’s (out of Medford, I think) whose potato chips were my second favorite brand. Never seen these outside of eastern MA.

After I moved to CO, I was disappointed to not find any Wise products whatsoever. Then, maybe 10 yrs ago, an Asia grocery store on Denver’s Asian strip (Federal Blvd near Alameda) displayed a few bags of Wise potato chips. I bought one and eagerly tore it open. Bleah. NOT the same chips I ate as a kid! The Borden rendition had had supremely fresh potato flavor and the peanut oil used matched the chips perfectly. These new chips were totally forgettable in flavor and texture.

I’m not taking chances trying another New England classic that got sold out, either. RIP, Peggy Lawton cookies!
I was just going to tell about Cain's potato chips and was thrilled to see your post! Yes, you are correct...Medford, Massachusetts was home to Cain's. It was on the boulevard along with the Medow Glen drive-in, WEEI studios. My ancestors were founders of Medford.

I miss their chips, mayo, tartar sauce.

Peggy Lawton brownies!! They were the best store bought brownies ever! I keep trying to find something comparable. Stop and Shop brownies in the tin plate were a close second. Only Stop and Shop I have heard of down here in Florida is over on the east coast side. Still have my S+S key fob!!

Old 05-16-2019, 04:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
I don't really care for very thin chips. Partially because of the tendency to break in the packaging, partially because they're annoying to dip if dips are a factor, but mostly because I just like the crunch and texture and flavor of thicker sliced, kettle style chips.

Classic Lay's is about as thin as I'll go.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:40 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
The "burned" chips aren't actually burned. but they don't taste right; the cause has something to do with the chemical content of the potato. Occasionally. one gets into the "feed" and one such potato will produce 15-25 chips. When I worked summers and Holiday seasonals at the Wise plant as a college student, we had people stationed at the end of the fryer to remove them, but since they came in bunches, one or two occasionally got by.
I always liked the burned chips and the chips with bubbles. Had no idea the burnt ones weren't really burnt.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:48 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was just going to tell about Cain's potato chips and was thrilled to see your post! Yes, you are correct...Medford, Massachusetts was home to Cain's. It was on the boulevard along with the Medow Glen drive-in, WEEI studios. My ancestors were founders of Medford.

I miss their chips, mayo, tartar sauce.

Peggy Lawton brownies!! They were the best store bought brownies ever! I keep trying to find something comparable. Stop and Shop brownies in the tin plate were a close second. Only Stop and Shop I have heard of down here in Florida is over on the east coast side. Still have my S+S key fob!!
Wish I had a time machine to bring some Wise and Cain’s chips from that era, plus Peggy Lawton cookies and Drake’s Yodels from that era. While we’re at it, chicken that tasted like chicken, pork that tasted like
pork, fresh Macoun apples...

Old 05-18-2019, 11:42 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Wise potato chips. So thin you could probably read through them. Very crisp, too.

I second Wise, I grew up with Wise potato chips, and I always preferred them to Lays.

Do they still make Wise chips? I haven't seen them anywhere in years. They absolutely were the thinnest and crispiest.

I probably don't eat potato chips more than 3 or 4 times a year - if that. Now I prefer the thicker Kettle Cooked variety.

I was never a huge fan of Lays or Utz.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:59 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I second Wise, I grew up with Wise potato chips, and I always preferred them to Lays.

Do they still make Wise chips? I haven't seen them anywhere in years. They absolutely were the thinnest and crispiest.

I probably don't eat potato chips more than 3 or 4 times a year - if that. Now I prefer the thicker Kettle Cooked variety.

I was never a huge fan of Lays or Utz.
Wise are still around. I see them here and there. For myself I love the taste of Kettle chips, but mostly can't eat them now because of tmj and dental work. So I stick to the thin, easy-to-eat Lays. Chips are a guilty pleasure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink