Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 11:59 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times

Advertisements

Is this a real thing? I always heard that the term "natural" is meaningless; it's thrown around everywhere. I know organic certification can be hard to get, so is this some lesser "certification"? This is the first time I've heard of it, on a relative's little farm:

Bramberi Farm & Gardens - Naturally Grown Berries - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
Maybe this helps?
The USDA's National Organic Program (NOP) certification:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Naturally_Grown
In contrast with the NOP, where inspections are conducted by a USDA-accredited certifying agency and third-party inspectors, CNG farms may be inspected by other CNG farmers, non-CNG farmers, extension agents, master gardeners and customers, with CNG farmers being ideal.
What’s the difference between Certified Naturally Grown and the USDA National Organic Certification Program? In a word, it’s cost. The cost of becoming certified under the USDA’s program is prohibitive for many small local producers.
The Certified Naturally Grown program is appropriate for farms selling directly in their local communities.
According to the CNG website the standards they utilize are just the same, if not better than the USDA program. CNG farmers must commit to not using synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, or genetically modified organisms.
http://www.organicauthority.com/is-c...od-as-organic/

http://althealthworks.com/1163/what-...is-it-organic/

Last edited by elnina; 10-16-2017 at 12:27 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 12:53 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe this helps?
The USDA's National Organic Program (NOP) certification:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Certified_Naturally_Grown
In contrast with the NOP, where inspections are conducted by a USDA-accredited certifying agency and third-party inspectors, CNG farms may be inspected by other CNG farmers, non-CNG farmers, extension agents, master gardeners and customers, with CNG farmers being ideal.
What’s the difference between Certified Naturally Grown and the USDA National Organic Certification Program? In a word, it’s cost. The cost of becoming certified under the USDA’s program is prohibitive for many small local producers.
The Certified Naturally Grown program is appropriate for farms selling directly in their local communities.
According to the CNG website the standards they utilize are just the same, if not better than the USDA program. CNG farmers must commit to not using synthetic herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers, antibiotics, hormones, or genetically modified organisms.
Is Certified Naturally Grown Just as Good as Organic?

http://althealthworks.com/1163/what-...is-it-organic/

Wow, thanks for all this, Elnina. I had no idea this certification existed. I do know it is prohibitive for small farmers to get organically certified.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:58 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Many stores mushrooms are un naturally grown I think.

Probably many other foods also if you delve deep into it.

Kinda like the cage free chicken eggs. Not really cage free as the chickens just have alittle extra room in their cage to move about. Still in a cage ( just a bigger one )

Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
I think anything that grows, grows "naturally"...don't think it really means it's healthier! I mean, even "organic" doesn't always mean better.....just that cow manure was thrown on it, instead of store-bought fertilizer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink