Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 05:36 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,938,675 times

Advertisements

So this isn't really a show, but after a weekend trying to cook in my mother's lake house kitchen, my sister and I decided it would be a challenging variation.

Contestants are given reasonable ingredients (no weirdo sea creatures or 100 year fermented eggs), but have to cook a delicious, creative and attractive meal using my mother's dull knives, warped cutting board, plastic half-melted spatulas and thin bottom pots that one might find in a Sunday School play kitchen! Only two burners consistently work and the oven temperature is completely a mystery because the numbers have worn off the dial.

Believe me - it was a challenge!!!

What is your most difficult cooking environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:02 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Yes, but the kitchen is in a lake house. There is some compensation to that situation.

I can't beat your cooking story. I've got plenty of good equipment, but am temporarily in an old mobile home with about 2 feet of counter space. I am getting pretty good at balancing things on the edge of the sink. Dishes are washed by moving things onto the floor to clear up the sink and drain board.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Yes, but the kitchen is in a lake house. There is some compensation to that situation.

I can't beat your cooking story. I've got plenty of good equipment, but am temporarily in an old mobile home with about 2 feet of counter space. I am getting pretty good at balancing things on the edge of the sink. Dishes are washed by moving things onto the floor to clear up the sink and drain board.
Were you displaced by the Eagle Creek fire? Or another fire? If so, how are you doing?

Old 09-11-2017, 10:26 PM

Cooking in my mother's kitchen was much as the OP described. Knives dull, pots warped, etc. I bought her decent, new knives, but she never used them, and would not throw away the old ones that were dull. Crazy.

I vowed I'd never get like my mother, and I would not lose my cooking skills!

As she aged she simply seemed to forget how to cook. She never liked to cook anyway, so perhaps that was part of it.

Another odd thing: she loved china and had plenty of that, but she insisted on using old, awkward stainless flatware.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,938,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Cooking in my mother's kitchen was much as the OP described. Knives dull, pots warped, etc. I bought her decent, new knives, but she never used them, and would not throw away the old ones that were dull. Crazy.

I vowed I'd never get like my mother, and I would not lose my cooking skills!

As she aged she simply seemed to forget how to cook. She never liked to cook anyway, so perhaps that was part of it.

Another odd thing: she loved china and had plenty of that, but she insisted on using old, awkward stainless flatware.

Uh oh - I think we might have the same mother!

Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
My MIL's kitchen. No real knives or cutting boards, no spices, no pans that she's willing to let you use other than disposable foil pans. Her stove was probably 50 years old, the stove top was held up with empty tin cans, the oven didn't work, and she'd had to call the fire department several times when the burners wouldn't shut off. I replaced her stove before we stayed with her (easy to convince hubby by pointing out that if she burned down her house she'd probably expect to stay with us) but she wouldn't let me use it. We ended up eating cold tortillas and beans out of cans while she ate leftovers from various restaurant meals.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Some day our grown kids will shake their heads over us, you know?

Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Some day our grown kids will shake their heads over us, you know?
Not mine...they've both got a list of kitchen equipment they want as housewarming gifts when they move out, all stuff they're used to using in my kitchen.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:41 AM

939 posts, read 789,031 times
Dull knives are the worst, as those are usually responsible for most of the injuries.

My worst environment was about 20 years ago during my first time volunteering at a shelter.

There were about seven of us, and they singled me out to do the carving, not only in front of the other six, but the long line of hungry guests ready to eat.

At least they supplied me with a half-dozen or so knives... dull and duller.

Only real problem was...I had never carved a turkey before!

Lucky for me though that I happened to watch a Thanksgiving episode on the Food Network the previous day, and it at least gave me better than a clue and the confidence of where to start and how to make sure the white and dark meat gets properly proportioned.

I had to keep reminding myself not to worry 'cause it's still gonna taste the same.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:20 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Camping. We have a good set-up but there are always a few hick-ups to making the food. When we are super organized we prep every before we leave.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink