Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
In the nicest way... DUH! Businesses grow and expand for a reason. Arguably, it's because they have a product that people really like (though sometimes value/price and marketing are bigger reasons, which I would argue is the the case for a place like, say, TGIF's).
Everything that is popular with the mainstream has a certain blandness to it; stuff that is edgy, fringe, cool, or just different in some way or another whether it be books, musicians, recreational activity, food, and on and on only attract small numbers of people. Case in point: Bobby Flay's Burger Palace. A celebrity chef and a chain. Their burgers are bland as far as I am concerned. Then you have Guy Fierro and his Johnny Garlic's. There's a burger on the menu that is truly phenomenal. The locally owned The Haven in Boston also has one of the best burgers I've ever had and this place is tiny. Or Wolfgang Puck. Seriously? Snoozers. It blows my mind that one of the more knowledgeable chefs in modern times puts out such generic food. Then again, he knows what sells in America and it ain't nothing spelled in French.

Speaking of burgers and chains, I gotta say that what Red Robbin has going on these days is pretty darn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
While I understand the sentiment, and have love independents like that, it seems to me most local independents when you get out of major metro or tourist areas are more of the first variety. Someone who thinks they can cook because they made tuna casserole for the church supper and folks told 'em it was good.
Likely wouldn't last long unless they got a full bar, or that tuna casserole is seriously killer. Restaurants are money pits to begin with, even with the successful ones (who are likely really making their money through bar sales and/or catering).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Aren't most chains franchises where the franchisee is local or sort of local?
Corporate chains are not franchised and typically franchises have to meet strict guidelines and follow policy to a T. But yes, a franchise is typically owned by someone "nearby".

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So not true.

National chains can afford to put money back into the community and are wealthy enough to be able to fund raise for fire departments, schools, churches, athletic departments, etc that local mom and pop establishments are not able to support in the same way.

Chain establishments also buy locally. Their produce, supplies, etc also are purchased from the same local fish, meat, produce, janitorial, dry goods places the small businesses do.

Chain restaurants also employ locals but are often able to provide benefits where small companies cannot. Chains can usually hire at a higher rate of pay and full benefits whereas local businesses cannot.

While I love local businesses and do support them to paint a chain with such a broad stroke is incorrect. Money does stay local.
I've been in this industry for 16 years, which chains buy local? Chains are also worse with benefits than the local joints and the pay is usually lower. The only good thing about working at a chain/corporate restaurant is that you move up the ladder much faster if you stick around long enough (long enough can easily mean three months). Pay and benefits get worse the higher you go.

Nearly everyone goes through Sysco or their own distro if they have one. Some will go with smaller distros or even local distros for some products but if you believe that chain restaurants are going down to the local fish market or butcher, I dunno, Florida must be something else. And practically everyone goes through Ecolab for their "janitorial" supplies and to be frank, the dishwasher is almost always the janitor no matter what the restaurant.

I've also never heard of a chain supporting local entities (fire department, church, etc.) and to be clear, the money mostly goes to pay corporate salaries back in which-ever state Headquarters are located. It's the local joints that give back to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2016, 05:14 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
In my area we recently had a newspaper article that rated the top ten chocolate chip cookies from around the area. Many were from trendy bakeries or local restaurants.

I tried the cookies from many of the places that made the list and they were nothing special. Many times they were stale or simply not that remarkable.
I've noticed that if I get a chocolate chip cookie from Dunkin Donuts though, it is consistently great! Chewy, soft, delicious. If there were a blind taste test, I'd choose that cookie every time.

But.. when you are writing newspaper articles or reviewing food, I guess it's not trendy enough to pick Dunkin so they have to find a more eclectic place.

Same with coffee! I've tried all the cool, trendy coffee shops with great reviews and I never liked it. Often can't finish it. I keep going back to Starbucks for consistently good coffee.
need to remember food is very subjective; just because one person likes it or think it belongs at the top of a list doesn't mean everyone does.

I will say, normally when we travel we do choose chains because we are fairly comfortable knowing what to expect but still local eateries are usually a bit better if you know what you are doing.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:52 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Chains are also worse with benefits than the local joints and the pay is usually lower. The only good thing about working at a chain/corporate restaurant is that you move up the ladder much faster if you stick around long enough (long enough can easily mean three months). Pay and benefits get worse the higher you go.

Nearly everyone goes through Sysco or their own distro if they have one. Some will go with smaller distros or even local distros for some products but if you believe that chain restaurants are going down to the local fish market or butcher, I dunno, Florida must be something else. And practically everyone goes through Ecolab for their "janitorial" supplies and to be frank, the dishwasher is almost always the janitor no matter what the restaurant.

I've also never heard of a chain supporting local entities (fire department, church, etc.) and to be clear, the money mostly goes to pay corporate salaries back in which-ever state Headquarters are located. It's the local joints that give back to the community.

So much misinformation that it is not funny.

First, the large chains generally pay significantly higher than the "mom and pops." I used to recruit at a lot of the local restaurants generally very successfully because I could offer something that non of the local joints could - medical insurance. One lady I hired told me that she had been at the local restaurant for 20+ years and that she was constantly told that the employer would be offering medical insurance - "next year." I told her that she could have coverage next week. My employers offered me full medical and dental, 401(k) coverage, four weeks of vacation after two years and a generous profit sharing program.

Second, people use Ecolab products (dishwasher detergent and other cleaning supplies) for several major reasons. First, they have very good products that work a lot better than the competition. Second, the products are easy to identify by employees who are illiterate. they cannot misuse the products even if they do NOT read. Third, using Ecolab saved me a ton of money as they did a lot of the minor repairs and minor maintenance to my Hobart equipment. In some of my larger locations, that alone was worth the money that I spent on their products.

Third, a number of franchisees support local Boy Scouts and other local charities around the country, usually at a far higher rate than the local restauranteurs who are notoriously stingy. And by the way, ever hear of the Ronald McDonald Houses?

Old 11-24-2016, 02:53 PM

8,071 posts, read 4,747,652 times
Also, the founder of Wendy's (Dave Thomas) created charities supporting adoption services, and even after Thomas's death, they continue to fund-raise and volunteer for those organizations.

Chik-Fil-A is very committed to supporting local charities and civic organizations, even local schools. Involvement in these local organizations is a part of their franchise agreement. They help schools, churches, and other organizations raise funds, as well.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts used to partner with my elementary school many moons ago to do yearly fundraisers. My mom was one of those "volunteer moms" who used to go to Krispy Kreme and pick up a station-wagon full of boxed doughnuts to distribute on "the big day"--our station wagon would smell like those delicious doughnuts for days afterward.

Old 11-24-2016, 03:04 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I agree in some cases they can be. However I thought one IHOP or a Perkins would be the same but that is not always the case. It depends on the region and the folks who are regulars there. Potatoes done a certain way in one region may not necessarily be done the same way in another regional area.

I had also been invited to a mom and pops restaurant for breakfast and their fruit topping on top of hmm, either it was pancakes or waffles (been a few years) was just the fruit but if you go to other places that would include the fruit and the accompanying fruit sauce-like topping and whip cream.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:20 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,427,001 times
Laugh if you like, but I still like Olive Garden better than any other chain or local place. Of course, we only have ONE local place.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:01 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,532 times
I am starting to believe that all foods are hit or miss.

I went to a local bakery known for its brownies. They do have a lot of unusual flavors, and they are fudgy when you buy them because they are served partially frozen. Once they defrost fully, they are dry as heck. I've had others from chains that are equally as bland and dry. Duncan Hines brownie mix makes brownies approximately 1 trillion times better than all of those.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:33 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Within 7 miles of us there are three Subway shops, and one Jimmy Johns.
We tried the JJ soon after they opened. It was quite possibly the worst sandwich we have ever purchased. Once they were told what type of sandwich we wanted, they threw it together and handed them to us. We were not given any options as to what condiments were on it (it came with none). It seemed that the sandwich makers were not at all interested in what we wanted, they were only interested in making a sandwich as fast as possible so as to maintain their "freaking fast" reputation.
We have not been back.
The same applies to Cracker Barrel. Having had REAL Southern "comfort food" in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Georgia, we found the local CB to be very disappointing. Again, we have not been back.
How else were they going to get it to you "freaky fast". I hate those commercials and refuse to go to JJ because of obnoxious radio ads.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Starbucks has been pretty consistent. It's shops are pretty much all company owned and run though which is not the same as McD's.
One big issue I have with fast food chains places near me is food not being served hot.
It's not just a once in a while thing but seems to be the norm if you get fries they taste like they've been sitting around. This isn't unique to chains though either.

Speaking of pizza , Dominos has improved , of course it's not amazing pizza but they have a pretty good carryout deal for $7.99 for a 3 topping large. An independent place is going to charge quite a bit more than that in my area. Plus there is one a block away.
Agree on Starbucks. The only time I have an issue is if the individual barista messes up the order (incorrect amount of cream, sugar etc.).

The chain pizza joints definitely have an advantage on price. My favorite pizza place is about one mile from my house. A 16-inch, three topping pizza is $16. For me, the price is worth it because the ingredients used are high quality, the crust is excellent and they don't skimp on cheese, meat etc. However, if I was feeding more than 1 to 3 people, I'd definitely lean towards the Domino's/Papa John's/Pizza Hut joints.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:38 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
DD is certainly consistently bad with its "coffee" - though they should be sued for calling it coffee. The nearest their coffee beans get to the cup is when the customer with his brown sugar water drink walks past the stands of bagged beans they have there. Honestly, DD is for coffee drinkers who don't like coffee. Their donuts are respectable though.

McDs and Starbucks are fine for coffee - and they are consistent as you say.
Interesting you say that. I listened to an interview where the son of the founder of DD, the guy that took it from a handful of stores and built it into an empire, said that their business would be coffee, not Donuts. His point was that people might get 3 cups of coffee in a day, but most people don't eat donuts daily. I don't like their sugary drinks, but their black coffee is still good in my book. They do dump the old and make a fresh pot every seventeen minutes; I think that's a key to good coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink