Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:12 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,200,670 times

Advertisements

Have been buying Tribe (brand) Forty Spices Hummus....it's addictive!! Would like to make my own version that's lower in fat....but woe is me...LOL....where on earth does one find the Forty Spices seasoning?

Would make my own except could you imagine going out to buy all forty spices and then spending the weekend measuring and mixing them? Can you see someone going on a journey all over the world to procure 40 - exotic - spices...kind of an adventure like Indiana Jones? All I need is the hat....

BTW...someone called the Tribe company to find out and they were told it's a 'secret blend'....arrggh!

Worst case scenario...make some plain homemade lower fat hummus and mix it half and half with the Tribe brand Forty Spices hummus....diluted but probably still very flavorful.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 11:23 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
Found this recipe for you:

WALLYSLOOKSTINKY | 42 SPICE HUMMUS Why 42 spices? * Because 42 is...

Maybe the first batch will be expensive but then you have all the spices to make more.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:01 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,158,336 times
Hmm, that looks good and I have most of those spices. I may try to make this! Can't say I have had this particular hummus, not sure if I've even seen this brand before but then again I haven't really paid a lot of attention. I usually buy Sabra. But I've been thinking I want to start making hummus as I really love it with hard boiled egg whites for breakfast, and it can get pricey buying those little tubs for$5 bucks a piece. I think I'll give this a whirl! Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-20-2013, 02:39 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
The relative amount of tahini determines the fundamental taste of hummus. If you start with a relatively simple hummus recipe but reduce the tahini to almost nothing, then increase the tahini to taste, you'll be far ahead of most. It's important to use fresh lemon juice as opposed to bottled horrors. Again, start with a little and increase it to taste. It's the same with garlic. If you wish to try other spices, do so a bit at at a time. You'll work up a far better hummus than you can buy from a factory. The real secret is fresh. That means fresh lemons and fresh garlic as well as other herbs and spices you may add whenever this is possible.

Hummus is like goulash and salsa; everyone has a private recipe. I like to add a bit of roasted red pepper to mine. But don't try to start out with forty-two or even twelve spices. In many cases, particularly with unusual spices, you'll have no control over either the variety available or the freshness. If you believe there's room for improvement try one new spice at a time and taste the results using different amounts. Stay simple; you'll make a fresh product that will beat anything available in a prepared product.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:04 PM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
Found this recipe for you:

WALLYSLOOKSTINKY | 42 SPICE HUMMUS Why 42 spices? * Because 42 is...

Maybe the first batch will be expensive but then you have all the spices to make more.
Thank you, Cubanchic....recipe looks good! Now I'm leaning toward buying the ready made hummus.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:07 PM
'M'

Happy in Wyoming....agreed....nothing tastes as good as 'fresh'.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
I love hummus and sometimes make my own because it's so danged expensive. I like to make mine with roasted veggies added (eg bell peppers.)

'M', a specialty food store near me sells loose spices; you can buy in tiny amounts. That would make it a cheaper option...

Old 10-22-2013, 01:00 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Look for "Ras el Hanout" - it's a combination of many different herbs/spices and, depending on the vendor, might be a suitable base for the rest of the spices you're looking for.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,153,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Look for "Ras el Hanout" - it's a combination of many different herbs/spices and, depending on the vendor, might be a suitable base for the rest of the spices you're looking for.
Ras el Hanout is one of my go-to spice blends! I use it for so many recipes.
Really variable (the name translates to "head of the shop" and is basically a blend of spices favored by the particular vendor). I love the one from zamouri spices online.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:27 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,744,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I use the William Sonoma blend but my dad has a friend coming back from The middle east and I asked them to bring back some to see the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink