Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:26 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times

Advertisements

Milkshake Malted Milk Powder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:52 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Chewels/Tidal Wave chewing gum - these had a gooey center that gushed out as you bit into the gum.

Ice Cubes chocolate squares - supposedly you can special order these (for like $50!!) but they don't ship too often because they melt so fast.

Taco Bell made these cinnamon/sugar tortilla chips - no more!

Carl's Jr. had the best fast food ever invented - the Crispburrito!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
jello pudding pops

Old 11-08-2008, 03:28 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
My 85 year old Dad sure misses Postum. He drank it as a replacement for coffee which he can't have.
I have a funny and true story about Postum that your dad might enjoy. Here in West Texas there's a town called Post. It was founded by C.W. Post and he hoped it would be a sort of nirvana type of community. He sold plots of land to settlers quite cheaply and went to work building the town.

He thought it would be healthier if he eliminated coffee from Post and insisted that everyone drink Postum, instead. LOL, he had to reverse this decision when many of the cowboys walked out and refused to drink Postum.

Here's a link to Post, TX and its history. The town itself is quite small but the scenery around it is really gorgeous. You can click on pics of the "caprock" and town at the bottom of the page.

City of Post

Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Two foods I really miss are Thomas' Corn Toasters and Buckwheats cereal. I LOVED those things! Thomas' still makes and distributes the little cornbread toasters in a few areas of the country but it's not widespread. I actually emailed them and asked if it was possible to order them and have them sent to me but they said it isn't.

Buckwheats cereal was soooooooo good. Hearty flakes flavored with maple. I've found organic buckwheats flakes and I do buy them but they're not nearly as good as the General Mills cereal was.

I also miss my favorite flavored ginger ales -- Cranberry ginger ale and raspberry ginger ale. They don't sell them in Texas, unfortunately. I don't know if they do in other places.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:44 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,174,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Taco Bell made these cinnamon/sugar tortilla chips - no more!
Those were much better than the puffy things they replaced them with.

As far as fast food goes the one thing I miss most of all is McDonald's fried apple pies. OMG those were the absolute best. I found a McDonald's in a WalMart that still had them a few years back and I told them I would buy every single one they had. I ended up with 15. We were having a family gathering that day and I rushed home with the bag and was rushing around showing everyone my awesome discovery. Almost everyone looked at me like I was a freak. I didn't care though. I stuffed myself with them. I wasn't able to get back out that way until about six months later and they had just gotten rid of the fryer that they used to cook them. I was so disappointed. After all those years of not having fried apple pies then to find them and lose them again. It was almost too much to bear.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Quote:
My 85 year old Dad sure misses Postum. He drank it as a replacement for coffee which he can't have.
They sell it, here in Utah,

Old 11-09-2008, 03:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Years ago, Lipton used to make an Italian herb and tomato dry soup mix. I would use it to coat chicken pieces before baking, and it was sooooo good.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Milkshake Malted Milk Powder.
I have to order this on-line because I can no longer find it in any grocery store. It amazes me. Not sure if this applies to other places in the country, but it is very seldom that I can find a malt on the menu anywhere here in Maryland.

Old 11-09-2008, 03:05 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,110 times
Quote:
Awe, that makes me sad. I wish you could find some for him. Have you looked in health food stores for a similar substitute? Seems like Whole Foods gave me a sample of a "postum-like" drink a few months ago.

Good luck, that would make a fantastic Christmas gift if you could find a like subsitute. Older people are cheered by memories....hope you can do this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink