Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM

501 posts, read 1,298,870 times

Advertisements

There are other veggies where the taste/texture varies depending upon their age. Off the top of my head, take zucchini - I love young zucchini squash picked when it is very small and slender, sauteed in a pan with garlic and butter, maybe with some onion too.

But if I forget to check my garden carefully, and they grow to the size of small baseball bats under the leaves, the skin on those older ones is tough and impossible to chew, while the inside is all mealy and soft. So while I might still use the inside for something like zucchini bread, where texture isn't important, I sure wouldn't slice it thin to saute and expect it to taste like the smaller young ones do (and the skin on those is not only thin and tasty but has a velvety feel to me when I pick them).

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM

109 posts, read 280,700 times
Field corn was a main part of your diet around here and we also refer to it as "horse" corn due to the large kernels that remind you of look'n a horse in the mouth.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 881 times
Default Field Corn

Growing up in the 50's & 60's in Alabama & Mississippi, my mother and grandmother made "Fried Corn" using field corn not sweet corn. To me it was the best corn and I couldn't get enough. It was quite a process to prepare and cook. I recall my grandmother would slit the kernel and scrape the fresh corn of the ears into a large pan. She would then fry the corn in an iron skillet.

These days it is almost impossible to find as all the farmers in the southeast seem to grow only sweet corn. I see from the internet that field corn is still growth more than than sweet corn but is a used for animal feed and fuel instead of human consumption.

Does anyone know where I could purchase filed corn in Georgia?

Old 08-02-2015, 04:14 PM

396 posts, read 515,915 times
I ate it once thinking it was sweet corn (ill-gotten gains). We have tons of it here in the Midwest and let's just say it has to be prepared properly or it's an acquired taste, especially when you're expecting to bite into an ear of sweet corn.

Have you tried asking at feed stores or your local UGA extension office? They might be able to give you some names of local suppliers.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:21 PM

12,174 posts, read 8,557,024 times
We had a corn canning factory in our little town while I was growing up and no one that I know of would have considered eating field corn.

My husband's farming family used to eat it when it was young.

I had some last February in Mexico though and it was slathered in mayo, cotilla cheese, cayenne pepper and a squeeze of lime and other than needing major flossing when I was done I had no complaints. Yummy.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 AM

934 posts, read 1,134,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sweet corn is what is grown for people to eat fresh. Field corn is much starchier, and is grown to feed animals, and to grind into meal, and it is mostly dried.

I don't think they aren't making corn sweeter and sweeter today. If anything, I think that may be an illusion, because I remember as a child we bought sweet corn at a farmer's market that was picked that morning, and it was like candy. Today you can't buy that kind. It was so sweet it had to be eaten right away before it turned moldy. That doesn't work for grocery stores, where it can take several days just to get it to the store.

Oh, I disagree. A lot of the new "super sweet" hybrids are nothing but sugary sweet. Silver queen is an older variety that isn't quite as sweet. The new corn is also bred in such a way as that the sugar doesn't turn to starch the way it used to. I remember the Laura's Kitchen cookbook had a description of cooking corn: Get your water ready, have it boiling, run to the garden, pick the corn, run to the kitchen, husking all the while and drop the corn as fast as possible into the pot of boiling water. That isn't really the case nowadays with newer varieties.

To the OP, I'm guessing some of the seed companies still sell a corn not so intended for eating "green". Especially an heirloom seed company.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:38 AM

934 posts, read 1,134,049 times
Here's a forum with recipes and talk about "field corn" Cream Style Corn>< Made with Field Corn

Old 08-04-2015, 01:18 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,950,630 times
I was served an overcooked ear of mature field corn, and it was starchy, pasty, and flavorless. I would love to taste "properly cooked" field corn to see if it can be made palatable.

BTW - the family that served me this field corn told me that the "sweet corn" was reserved for feeding the farm animals.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,317,436 times
Try indian corn sometime...

Old 08-04-2015, 08:59 AM

12,174 posts, read 8,557,024 times
When my DH was stationed in Ft. Lewis , WA in the Sixties I had the job of calling the Dependent Youth Activities parents to organize an annual picnic. Some of them were assigned to bring sweet corn.

I couldn't believe the number of people who didn't know what sweet corn was. They would ask, "Is that some special way of preparing corn?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink