Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 12:21 PM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times

Advertisements

I tried to open the link on my computer. The unshrinkable header took up a third of the page, a popup immediately happened in the right half, and what I could read in the little space left by those offensive covering self promotions was stuff I knew years ago. All it did was spike my BP on top of a poster here who apparently thinks the food forum is political forum aching for his spew. Both are now on ignore, and good riddance.

Check out the various allergy elimination diets and Wheat Belly.

https://drdavisinfinitehealth.com/wheat-belly/

I'm ambivalent on grains. They can be very bad for people with gut issues, but they are also nutritious and tasty. For whatever reason, I have problems with buckwheat. My GF has problems with corn, my first GF had full-blown celiac. Grains are very much a YMMV food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 01:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,521,910 times
I’m quite fond of farro. I like its pleasantly chewy texture and nutty flavor.

Not a fan of quinoa, and for me barley only works in soups.

Old 03-23-2023, 01:25 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,601,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I’m quite fond of farro. I like its pleasantly chewy texture and nutty flavor.

Not a fan of quinoa, and for me barley only works in soups.
i like barley a lot, but i agree that outside of soups it's not great.

oats are good but similarly not very versatile.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:23 PM

23,565 posts, read 24,089,586 times
In our household, rice (Uncle Ben’s Converted, brown, and Jasmine) are commonly used, along with potatoes (either mashed, baked, cut into hash browns & fries) prepared in different ways.

I like barley in soups and quinoa I’ve tried, but lack a lot of recipes to prepare it.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:12 PM

61,812 posts, read 87,269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I tried to open the link on my computer. The unshrinkable header took up a third of the page, a popup immediately happened in the right half, and what I could read in the little space left by those offensive covering self promotions was stuff I knew years ago.

Hmmmm... I didn't see a problem. Read the article just fine.
Maybe you know that stuff years ago, but this is a Food Forum and even stuff most of us know gets discussed.
Quite condescending comment. Not really needed here.

This website is about different grains, and how to use them in dishes.
Some members might find it interesting.

Humans are eating grains for centuries, most don't have any "belly problems".
Those sick or with allergies, make their own food choices.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:28 PM

61,812 posts, read 87,269,132 times
I eat a buckwheat a lot. The whole & roasted kind. Use it instead of rice or potatoes. Great with any gravy.
Barley - yes, taste best in soups. Didn't see any barley soup anywhere on the menu.
Other grains work great as a mix of several kinds, even with rice.
Like the pouches you can now buy on the stores.

https://www.randalls.com/shop/produc...f_goo_20220629

Old 03-23-2023, 09:22 PM

19,812 posts, read 22,710,079 times
We eat Basmati and wild rice from MN or CN. Also a lot of couscous. Those are our staples. Wild game soups we like the wild rice mixed in.

We make curry goose and venison, or Jalfrezi and generally heap it on couscous.

Old 03-23-2023, 10:35 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,045,569 times
I've tried different grains. As harry chickpea said they can be a problem for some people with gut issues which I have.
I LOVE potatoes, white, sweet, all kinds. Rice is OK but prefer rice noodles more.

It's an effort to learn how to cook new grains, easier to cook what I know and like.
I've tried very hard to like cornbread and cornmeal but...not really my thing.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:07 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,973,821 times
Was America eating and growing rice before Chinese food became popular?

I think white bread is even bigger. Burgers, and sandwiches are basically white bread. White Bread has high GI

I am told Basmati rice has lowest glycemic index of all rices. I am trying to eat that more.

Old 03-24-2023, 06:20 AM

3,063 posts, read 2,045,569 times
Another thought:"Blue Zone" books about food that healthy and long-lived people eat in various locations around the world says to eat these grains: farro, quinoa, brown rice, oatmeal, bulgur, cornmeal

Bottom line: whole grain consumption increases health and longevity
https://www.bluezones.com/2016/11/wh...ase-longevity/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink