Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,086 times

Advertisements

[quote=mango23;13588579]
Quote:
I doubt it has anything to do with escaping.
There are a number of reasons why they put prisons where they do: one of which is it's a lot easier to find 1 or 2 people who don't belong in several thousand acres of woods as opposed to finding them in let's say downtown Miami where they can blend in with a million + other people.

Quote:
Most prisons are in fairly nice area although not very populated areas. I don't think any are in the middle of swamps in Florida Prison towns
Sure the Florida Everglades is fairly nice......if you have an airboat to ride on. Most prisons are remote stand alone buildings where beyond the immediete fence line there is no benefit of municipal drainage.
Quote:
pretty good economies and yes most there may have jobs related to the prison but that is not a bad thing, anymore then an economy based on a tourists. It is a lot safer working around a prison then a 7-11 and the pay is a lot better. I would have no problem living in a town with a prison.
I didn't say it was bad for the local economy, the point was prisons are in small towns, small towns are largely populated by redneckish folks who are likely to be less accepting of an interacial relationship than say streets of Miami ot Tampa. BTW another poster claimed there is a prison in every FL County, it's simply not true. There is no FL DOC facility anywhere in the County I live in and the closest would be a 50 miles away.......not exactly a short ride to the corner store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,784 times
[quote=1coolcustomer;13600104]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
There are a number of reasons why they put prisons where they do: one of which is it's a lot easier to find 1 or 2 people who don't belong in several thousand acres of woods as opposed to finding them in let's say downtown Miami where they can blend in with a million + other people.

Sure the Florida Everglades is fairly nice......if you have an airboat to ride on. Most prisons are remote stand alone buildings where beyond the immediete fence line there is no benefit of municipal drainage. I didn't say it was bad for the local economy, the point was prisons are in small towns, small towns are largely populated by redneckish folks who are likely to be less accepting of an interacial relationship than say streets of Miami ot Tampa. BTW another poster claimed there is a prison in every FL County, it's simply not true. There is no FL DOC facility anywhere in the County I live in and the closest would be a 50 miles away.......not exactly a short ride to the corner store.
I may be wrong but where where are the prisons you refer to in the everglades?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:45 AM

737 posts, read 1,648,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Yup, those blacks just didn't know how good they had it, what is a lynching or two. Then of course there was Rosewood, that was a good old time for blacks. What the he!! are you talking about?
Remembering Rosewood - The Most Thorough Site

Rosewood is located where? North Florida rules were the same but not always followed more in North Florida as I stated. North Florida had people migrate from the southern states with different attitudes. Besides we all know the movies exaggerate alot for the sake of the movie itself. It is a proven fact that very few owner slept with there slaves. Proven with test done on people and even documented on TV. As I stated it is more drama for tv or the movies.

As I do more research you also find that people with dark tans, Indians ect were thought of as Mulatto or Black and documents say this. However some were white. It went by skin color not by race. This is the reason why you saw so many woman wearing gloves and using umbrellas back in the day.

As far as lynching goes that was a rare thing even in the heart of Mississippi or George S. Carolina ect. This is also a proven fact with records that were kept very well. Most didn't lynch or hurt there slaves simply because that would depreciate there value. Why would a man devalue his property?

When I say it went by skin color not in Florida I'm speaking of other states. Since Florida was a slave state but not really. There are even Indians that were slaves and marked as Black.

There are whites that came over and in later years with slavery introduction indentured you signed a agreement for x amount of years and was treated like a slave for that many years. Not being able to marry and at the whim of your owner you were treated the same and equal to a slave until your debt was paid. Some indentured people are marked as Mulatto's. This didn't happen alot in Florida so to speak.

Remember the stupid laws we all read slavery and indenturement also varied by state.

Last edited by Starlady01; 04-05-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-05-2010, 10:17 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Interracial couples abound in Tallahassee.

I should know, I'm in an interracial marriage myself. I've been married for ten years and living here and have never, ever had a problem with anyone.

Outside of Leon County, in the rural areas, there are of course still people who will give you dirty looks...but that is true all over the state and indeed the country in rural areas. There's nothing special about the Florida Panhandle outside of it being largely rural. Being Southern has little to do with it in my experience. You'd get the same in rural Minnesota...I know I did.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:09 AM

69 posts, read 225,614 times
[SIZE=2]Well..if you move to a small hick town everybody will give you dirty looks.
Also if a city is like 90% white stay away from it...close minded people.
If you move to Miami,Orlando,Tampa...you will be fine.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-06-2010, 09:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
[SIZE=2]Well..if you move to a small hick town everybody will give you dirty looks.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Also if a city is like 90% white stay away from it...close minded people.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]If you move to Miami,Orlando,Tampa...you will be fine.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
yeah and if it's 90% black stay away from it too. If you want to see some racist blacks just go to some parts of Pensacola.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
The original post about state prisons makes no sense. There is at least one state prison/correctional facility in every single county in Florida!
Yeah, and the one in Century (Escambia County) is in a heavily black area.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
most of my relationships are inter-racial and most of my friends were not born in USA and i still sometimes give weird looks when i see one, i think it is just natural

Old 04-09-2010, 06:37 AM

564 posts, read 1,879,154 times
In my experience as a White man I've found that the most racist people I've met have been from Illinois and Ohio. Being White you get to hear the "jokes", like you're part of the "I hate anyone but Whitey" clique Hopefully, once you get out of that area you'll feel more comfortable.....

I've been to 45 states and worked with folks from all over, my impressions are not based on one weekend in Springfield.........

Old 04-09-2010, 07:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
my parents are an interracial couple and i am in an interracial relationship, we all live in broward county. my boyfriend and i live in hollywood, it is a melting pot of people here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida