Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
"Stop the hurricane crap, 4 bad canes in 25 years"

Guess I was dreaming when the rest went through.
You forgot Hurricane Andrew 1992!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 09:01 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Of all the recorded hurricanes to hit the U.S. since 1851, 36 percent have made landfall in Florida. A look at the paths of the major hurricanes (category 3 and higher) that have passed through the state. The most affected counties are in the shaded area.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/wea...278367.graphic

Old 05-15-2007, 09:42 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
well- Starwood and Windham resorts (time share cold calling)- people are touting these as great jobs on Orlando sub-forum. lol.
Just as an aside, I've worked for Starwood. The better cold-callers can make $60k, the better salespeople can make $100k and there are management and other positions at all salary levels. It's a huge company with full benefits (medical, dental, matching 401k, etc.) and lots of fringe benefits such as being able to stay in five star resorts for $79/nite anywhere in the world (rooms with usual price tags of $400/nite and up).

I still didn't like working for them, but I had no complaints about the pay or the benefits.

Starwood is another good example of one of those "non-service" jobs.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:10 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
the big problem with floriduh is the insurance. it keeps going higher, and theres nothing to prevent it from going higher still.

if the eggheads at the insurance company decide that your house will need 50k of work every 10 yrs, they are going to make sure you pay that equivalent in premiums, plus some profit on top.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:32 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Speaking of Myrle Beach. We rented a condo and I'm going there for a vacation with my sister and the kids in August. Our first time out there. Anything we should be sure to do or see??
Well, I know one thing. You won't have ANY problem entertaining the children...

"Oooh mommy, mini-golf!!!!" "Oooo Mommy, Go Karts!!!!" "Oooo Mommy!!!! Ferris Wheel!!!"

Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
VAFury i see u live in stephens city? do u like it up there? i went to JMU in harrisonburg just down 81 from u. beautiful part of the country. whats it like up that way these days? havent been there in 10 years

Old 05-15-2007, 11:01 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
Well, I know one thing. You won't have ANY problem entertaining the children...

"Oooh mommy, mini-golf!!!!" "Oooo Mommy, Go Karts!!!!" "Oooo Mommy!!!! Ferris Wheel!!!"

Well kids are a bit older 12 - 14 but hey, i'm always up for mini - golf and go carts myself. I probably have more fun than the kids.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:05 AM

356 posts, read 1,269,084 times
we are leaving because we bought a small house in an OK neighborhood as a starter home. Now that we have a family we want a bigger home WITH A YARD in a nice kid friendly neighborhood. there is no way we can afford that here one one income so we are moving out of state.

Florida is great but I cant get what we want here. maybe upstate but if you leave your hometown and family it really donest matter if you stay in the state

Old 05-15-2007, 11:09 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
There's another thread on here similar to this one --it's on pg. 2 now, asking if people are relocating from FL because of hurricanes. I honestly think hurricanes are low on the list except for how the 2004/05 season affected HOI. That primarily affected those on the coast and south FL I think.

People I know left FL because the value of their homes went up so much they could sell and buy something free and clear in other areas. Some who considered leaving for that reason decided to stay because this is "home" and it's where they have family and friends and they don't want the cold weather other states have to offer!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,295,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
VAFury i see u live in stephens city? do u like it up there? i went to JMU in harrisonburg just down 81 from u. beautiful part of the country. whats it like up that way these days? havent been there in 10 years
Well, I'm from the perspective of having not seen this area 10 years ago, so I'm not really sure what's different.

The scenery is beautiful of course. My drive to work is a nice change of pace with the Blue Ridge on my left and the Alleghenies on my right.

Up this way is a little more rural than Harrisonburg, but becoming less so in areas. Stephens City has recently undergone a building boom as it is on the distant outskirts of the D.C. sprawl, but it does mean a lot of newer housing available to choose from.

Truck traffic on I 81 is as bad as ever, but I just try to avoid the interstate if I can and take route 11 everywhere as it's a much prettier drive....

I'm loving it with a whole new set of things to see and do. On Sunday, on a whim, I drove to the Antietam Battlefield and just loved it... What an amazing setting for such a day in history...

My brother went to JMU as well so I do remember Harrisonburg and I remember making the drive over from Charlottesville (where we lived at the time) to visit, taking rt 33 over the mountains from Ruckersville.... Very nice. Still a big fan as well... JMU 2004 1-AA FOOTBALL CHAMPS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida