Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,787,599 times

Advertisements

Moved here last March and have always wanted to get a Cat. 1 Hurricane under my belt ; this Tropical Storm Ida is going to be just under Hurricane status but im sure it will give me a taste of what to expect down the road. Fortunately, Im 40 minutes inland but wind gusts are supposed to be 70 mph for me with 5" of rain overnight and tomorrow.

Theres an evacuation notice for low lying areas along the Emerald Coast as the storm surge is supposed to be 3-6' .

Landfall is supposed to be 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. Finally, a bit of excitement .

Out of curiosity, has anyone stuck around for a Cat. 4 or higher Hurricane ? If so, which one and was it exciting ?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,505,473 times
I went through Hurricane Andrew Cat 5, I wouldn't call any of the hurricanes I have been through as exciting, scary is a better word for them. When you know someone that dies during a hurricane from flying debry, hurricanes stop being exciting. Please stay safe even if this thing becomes a tropical storm, and remember most deaths take place after the hurricane passes. From things like downed power lines, chain saws, carbon monoxide poisoning, unattended candles, etc.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,966,962 times
Yes, been through a few. Hope you guys dont get it too bad up there.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:22 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,414,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I went through Hurricane Andrew Cat 5, I wouldn't call any of the hurricanes I have been through as exciting, scary is a better word for them. When you know someone that dies during a hurricane from flying debry, hurricanes stop being exciting. Please stay safe even if this thing becomes a tropical storm, and remember most deaths take place after the hurricane passes. From things like downed power lines, chain saws, carbon monoxide poisoning, unattended candles, etc.
Great post. I was in Charley. Not fun or exciting, especially when you have a small child and you are without electricity for a week. We were also not forewarned. Regarding the original post, I'll stop and take Bambi's mother's advice.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:40 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,966,962 times
Losing electricity in FL is awful - absolutely awful. So aside from injury or even death, I think the worst part is not having any power.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,928,319 times
We rode out Ivan, and it was really Not Fun- it came ashore overnight and we didn't want to fall asleep for a while because of concern for tornadoes.

Ida's looking to be one of those storms that's the equivalent of a Midwestern snow day- not inherently dangerous unless you're right on the coast but you want to stay in and avoid the nastiness.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Did you actually stay in your house during Hurricane Andrew ? Or , did you go to a shelter ? During the brunt of the storm , did you venture outside just to see what it was like ? Can you tell me what you experienced during that Storm wherever you were taking refuge ? Id really like to know.

I didnt mean to make light of Hurricanes , but, this is something very new to me and Id like to experience a mild Hurricane if there is such a thing. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,761,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Moved here last March and have always wanted to get a Cat. 1 Hurricane under my belt ; this Tropical Storm Ida is going to be just under Hurricane status but im sure it will give me a taste of what to expect down the road. Fortunately, Im 40 minutes inland but wind gusts are supposed to be 70 mph for me with 5" of rain overnight and tomorrow.

Theres an evacuation notice for low lying areas along the Emerald Coast as the storm surge is supposed to be 3-6' .

Landfall is supposed to be 7 a.m. tomorrow morning. Finally, a bit of excitement .

Out of curiosity, has anyone stuck around for a Cat. 4 or higher Hurricane ? If so, which one and was it exciting ?!
Well maybe you will get your wish but at what cost. Even the mildest storm usually takes lives. We had a storm that was not much a few years ago and a mother her two sons, a friend and the family dog were electrocuted. After Wilma two people were killed by falling tree branches along with a few heart attacks.

I hate when I hear the roofers rooting for the storms so they can profit off others misery and misfortune. I hate when I see apartment dwellers who own nothing without a pot to pi$$ in root for the storms because they think it would be fun, as home owners dread the potential danger and damage that may come. I hope you enjoy your storm, I can assure some others won't. I would hope you will at least give at least a buck or two to the Red Cross but I would not bet on. I have read your other posts, another religious phony.

Some reality and this storm had winds that never exceeded 80 MPH. They averaged 45 in most areas.
From the Sun sentinal in Broward.

"Fortunately, in South Florida, Hurricane Irene's winds just ranged

from 45 to 80 mph. Winds did uproot trees, tossed signs and littered

yards with branches, and blew off a few roofs but did not appear to

have caused widespread damage.

Irene was blamed for the death of five Fort Lauderdale area people,

who were electrocuted. A mother, her two teenage sons and their

friend were electrocuted last night after walking near their home

into an intersection with a downed power line submerged in water.

Minutes later another teenager was electrocuted from fallen power

lines as he walked down another street only miles away from the first

fatalities."

Like I said, take a reality check.

Last edited by mango23; 11-09-2009 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Well maybe you will get your wish but at what cost. Even the mildest storm usually takes lives. We had a storm that was not much a few years ago and a mother her two sons, a friend and the family dog were electrocuted. After Wilma two people were killed by falling tree branches along with a few heart attacks.

I hate when I hear the roofers rooting for the storms so they can profit off others misery and misfortune. I hate when I see apartment dwellers who own nothing without a pot to pi$$ in root for the storms because they think it would be fun, as home owners dread the potential danger and damage that may come. I hope you enjoy your storm, I can assure some others won't.
Again, I hereby apologize for undermining the threat of Hurricanes in Florida. I find natural storms a bit intriguing but certainly the human suffering toll not . Regards.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:20 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,550,883 times
Be careful what you wish for...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida