Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:39 AM

1,377 posts, read 4,211,439 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear some stories of people who HAD to move to FL for family, medical, job transfer,etc. Do you like it here or dislike it. I hear all the time how people made the mistake of moving here but had no choice at that point in time due to circumstances and people still bash them for not liking FL. Not everyone living in FL has a choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 44,609 times
I had to move to FL due to a new job. I did not like FL though. So, I moved back. At first, I was excited about the sunshine and the beaches. But discovered there were other things about FL I did not like: the heat and humidity, low quality education, and poor job market were the main reasons though.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
I moved because I had to. Well, I didn't HAVE to but there were odd circumstances that lead to me living there. I did it for personal reasons and then I was stuck there for 10 years.

I first moved to Orlando and although it was very different than what I was used to, I liked it. I was quite surprised because I didn't expect to like Florida.

The only thing I didn't like about Orlando was the high crime. I was a crime reporter up north for many years, but I had never seen anything like that.

Then I HAD to move to Fort Myers. That was truly awful.

Florida is a big state, though. You can find wonderful places there if you look for them. It's usually not where the herd is, though.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:14 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
I did because my husband was out of work and got a job here. I lived in Florida before a very long time ago and moved because of a BF at a time. It lasted from May through right before Christmas when I couldn't take the warm weather anymore. I did not want to come this time either. I have been here now for 2 years and trying to find a way to move back. I miss my kids and the 4 seasons. There is abosolutely nothing I like about living in Florida, but I knew this 34 years ago.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,395 times
I moved here because of a very sick parent.
At six months I was ready to leave.
Im pretty sure this will be the last few months here and Im
counting the minutes until I see the "Welcome to Georgia" sign on I-95

Old 09-16-2009, 11:23 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,824,588 times
Yes I basically had to move here for health issues. I guess for myself I am trying to focus on the positives because basically I have no alternative. I think outlook has a lot to do with making things better. I have lived in a few states and there is no perfect. I feel blessed in that I had some options at least and do have a nice standard of living especially in this economy. I hope as time passes it will feel more like home. Also that my mom will move here as well as it is very hard to be away from family. It is little easier though in the winter when they tell me they have 10 inches of snow. Still hard though as I am a "baby" and homesick.
Are you having to move? I think in any move it takes at least 6 months to adjust,get familiar with the areas,meet people,etc.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I think in any move it takes at least 6 months to adjust,get familiar with the areas,meet people,etc.
Yes. At least. That goes for anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida