Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM

48 posts, read 197,814 times

Advertisements

By "Havana-Florida" he was referring to the Miami area. It's heavily populated by Cubans and Cuban-Americans. Capital of Cuba is Havana.

"C'mon now, we're in the sub-tropics! What other US state can claim that?"

Actually, the entire southeast region of the US, all the way up to southern NC is considered "sub-tropical." Miami is just over the line where it is considered fully tropical.

Personally, I am not a fan of tropical weather. It seems some people get so tired of cold, they would rather endure 10 months of sticky heat. I think there has to be a happy medium! I was born and raised here in Sarasota FL...so I am tired of the heat. I don't mind temps in the 20s/30s/40s. I like cool/cold weather, I just don't want to live somewhere with 6 months of it, or somewhere where it constantly gets in the single digits or below zero. That's why I am moving to WNC.

"This forum is heavily skewed towards people with children who want to live in a great school district, away from any kind of bad influences--if your own life situation does not fit this profile (my doesn't), I would take some of these posts with a grain of salt. I live in NYC--there are a lot of negatives here, but I would never say that no one should move here or that this place is terrible. Every situation is relative."

I agree with this. It is all subjective. If one really loves warm/hot weather, has a good career, and loves beaches...then FL will suit them perfectly. There are nice areas to raise families. Here in Sarasota it is very safe and clean, and we have some great private and charter schools. We have world class beaches, which show up on international beach contests every year. I think for kids and middle-aged to eldery people with money central/SWFL is great. For a working class 24yo like myself? It couldn't be less appropiate. For a younger person with money/a great career who loves tropical weather and beaches...SEFL maybe perfect. Fort Lauderdale is nice and Miami is very unique and exciting if you can afford to live in a nice neighborhood. Ft. Laud/Miami-Dade are even more expensive than SWFL, so one must be upper-middle class to wealthy to enjoy those areas.

Personally, I am totally bored by beaches at this point. I am bored of flat terrain and palm trees do not excite me in the least. I actually love cool weather, I love wearing sweaters and jackets, gloves and scarves...and walking through cold crisp air. So FL obviously is not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 07:39 PM

48 posts, read 197,814 times
I do know the panhandle is much cheaper than the rest of FL, other than perhaps south-central little towns near lake okeechobee, which are scary rural if you ask me. Also the Jacksonville area is cheaper than the coastal areas of SWFL or SEFL. Bradenton, which is just north of Sarasota where I live...is fairly reasonable, and is close to Sarasota and Tampa/St.Pete/Clearwater. Bradenton has beaches and everything a person/family would need. A lot of people live in Bradenton and work in Tampa or Sarasota, though Bradenton has it's own little downtown area as well. Sarasota has some areas which if one looks they can find a good deal on a house, though Sarasota definately isn't cheap. It is a very clean and beautiful town though, and we have gorgeous beaches and a rapidly developing downtown.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:46 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,221,877 times
leavingfl4seasons, not that it gets THAT cold, or that it still isnt HOT in the summer, have you thought about NW fla?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:16 PM

270 posts, read 571,523 times
Default just wait 2 years

and all of florida will be affordable.rent for cheap in the meantime..

Old 10-24-2007, 09:11 AM

lostbuyer, i know many folks are hoping for this, but i dont think it's gonna happen. if it were me, i'd probably think of buying now if i wanted to own.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 AM

199 posts, read 220,645 times
Please don't advise people to buy right now. People need to search the housing bubble blogs to get an idea of what lies ahead for Florida real estate.

This thing has barely even started yet. Now is not even close to a good time to buy.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM

i dont thnink it is going to get much lower, i really dont.

i saw the comps in my area (orlando) and like 5 or so houses sold in my neighborhood... they were mostly investor houses i'd guess. most of them sold for the asking price or a few thousand less than asking price.

houses that were $420k in my neighborhood (when times were really good) are now selling for, say, $399k. some ppl sold it for 399k or like 390k. the houses (atleast in my area) are selling... and they are getting pretty good prices for 'em too.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: Gainesville, Florida/now in Qinhuangdao China/Beijing
31 posts, read 112,928 times
I got a job in gainsville, next month I move there, Is there any "rent-to-own" type landlords there??? or closer small towns there that has rent to own homes?? land contract types??
Thank you!

Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM

137 posts, read 550,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billymillennium View Post
I got a job in gainsville, next month I move there, Is there any "rent-to-own" type landlords there??? or closer small towns there that has rent to own homes?? land contract types??
Thank you!
I work in Gainesville & live in Bronson but I really have not seen much of the "rent-to-own" around here. Try looking at FSBOingainesville. You might want to try renting first and look around. You do not want to buy in Gainesville or the surrounding rural areas without doing you own personal research. Try renting in Gainesville and venture out on weekends to look around. Good Luck!

I can tell you to stay away from Archer (unless you are in the Levy County part) & Hawthorne. That's just my opinion...

Also, Alachua county taxes are some of the highest around here. Levy, Marion, & Gilchrist are way lower but you'll have some drive time.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 47,826 times
Cool Best Place?

A good many post have been pro and con. The facts are....Don't try to live too close to the beach it cost too many premiums. Insurance (my profession) is way too high as is real estate taxes. Most of the metro areas are bulging at the seams with people, traffic, crime, and overcrowded schools. Get out of town a liitle ways and most of these drop a great deal. For about the next two to three years I would not buy a home as prices are dropping dramatically. When those prices drop taxes and insurance will. Property taxes and insurance are out of this world for the south. For a good job I would pick Orlando or Jacksonville as good markets. Jacksonville probably has the edge on Orlando because a rural setting with cheaper land prices can be had within about 10 miles of the city limits if you do your homework. All the years I lived in the panhandle were tough times looking for a job. When you could get one it did not pay any money. It has not changed much in 40 years. The prices go up a lot and the wages go up a little. Most jobs the employers try to pay you minimum wage because of all the new people moving in ooking for jobs. The illegals eat up most of the construction jobs but that feild is drying up fast so they will be trying to take other jobs. Be prepared. Do not think at this time that you can sell your house up north and buy one here for a bargain. Up until 2002 yes. Now if you buy a home you will be buying into a loss saving some speculator idiot from bankruptcy. My advice, Hold on about 2 years and save your bucks while prices come down. The bottom is a long way off. Most cities here have neighborhoods with "For Sale" signs in just about every yard. It is still no a buyers market. There are just too many people trying to get out of Florida due to the high real estate taxes and insurance prices. They refuse to see the writing on the wall. Good luck and keep shopping. You will eventually get the home you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida