Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 AM

63 posts, read 390,255 times

Advertisements

The first thing I thought of is:

Yes there is low humidity indoors. LOL But I think tthink that is not really what you are asking. Sorry. LOL

It is humid everywhere here.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:52 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
I have found the gulf coast to be much more humid than the east coast during the summer....we've got the no see'ums....more red tide, just generaly more steamy over here.....no breeze like a ft. lauderdale breeze!

Old 03-06-2007, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
LOL - I have to laugh at that map that was posted. Florida IS HOT AND HUMID everywhere in the state! We are surrounded by water - hello!

That said there are microclimates in different areas which can make one feel more comfortable than another place. For instance, in my small town, it is hilly and an overall higher elevation with lots and lots of large trees (which provide natural air conditioning). I feel it is much more comfortable here than areas just a few miles away. It is very hot and humid in the flatlands including near the coast because there is so much hot pavement.

I lived in Sarasota for 17 years, it is definitely NOT cooler or less humid there - we would get some nice afternoon breezes but they were over when the sun went down and it was very hot and humid.

Anyone who does not like humidity should stay away from Florida, this isn't the hottest state temperature wise, but it is definitely the most humid in the U.S.!

Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,161,036 times
The humidity in the Atlantic is way higher than the gulf cost. I really experienced it this time in St Augustine, way hotter than other times....

Old 07-05-2008, 01:31 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Talking Humidity is relative

Although this thread is over a year old, I just came across it, and I think it's funny how people get different impressions of an area based on their personal experiences.

However, I do agree with sunrico90. I live in Southwest Florida near the Gulf of Mexico and it feels much more comfortable here than on the Atlantic coast. (at least to me it does) Also, I've been in Orlando a few times and felt as if the humidity was 20% higher. Having said that, I feel the same way about Tampa or any large FL city. In fact, if I only drive 25 miles to downtown Fort Myers I can feel the difference. I'm sure anyone who spends a day at the beach, no matter where you live, notices the breeze coming from the ocean.

Still, as another poster wrote, it's always hot & humid in FL. You can't escape it. I disagree, however, that it lasts for 9 months, since around Nov it begins to cool down and gets hot again in April or May. So most of the oppressive heat is for 6 or 7 months, but that's long enough for me! I stayed near AL once and it was a lot cooler in the winter, but it was still very humid. The only place to escape the humidity, the heat and the mosquitoes & no-seeums is inside in front of the TV with the air conditioner on & a fan. (yes, fans really help circulate the air) If you are 50-something and post-menopausal, then even that doesn't help too much.

PS: Once I visited Manuel Antonio Park near Quepos, Costa Rica in June and if there was such a thing, I'd swear the humidity was 200% so someone from there might think it's quite pleasant in Florida! If you are from AZ then you'll think FL is very humid, but at least it's not 110 degrees.

Last edited by sunrico90; 07-05-2008 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Older thread, let start a new one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida