Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 PM

23 posts, read 94,539 times

Advertisements

Bear with me, this may get lengthy.

I'm a Florida boy, born in WPB, lived in TN a short while, but have been in Tally since I was 8 (26 now). I love it here, to the point that when I read or hear negative comments about Tally, I actually feel my heart rate increase.

However, when I have free time, I've started this hobby of looking for houses/jobs in other cities, and researching the areas that look nice. And lately it's been getting me real excited, the idea of trying something totally new and different.

I haven't travelled much out of the southeast US (FL, GA, AL, TN, NC). Been to DC once, and drove to St. Paul and Fargo once, but that's about it. But I know if I take a vacation somewhere, I'll love it, I always do.

The latest city I'm lusting after is Fort Collins, CO, after finding it close to the top on some "best cities to live in" list. I used to think I'd be crazy to want to live somewhere with snow and cold like that, but I'm thinking it would be a great experience to remove myself from what I'm familiar with. I figured the people who live there must love it for a reason. The few times we moved as kids, I loved it, seeing everything for the first time.

However, I have a wife and 2 boys, and lots of family here. So I would essentially be giving up all those connections, all that support that family brings (non-monetary). I know my wife is already behind me, provided I find a job that pays enough.

So, am I crazy? Can someone talk me out of this? Or is it really a great idea to live in different areas for awhile?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Believe me it's gonna be ALOT harder to get adjusted than you think. Especially the cold weather and allergies out West. Why don't you just take a leave of absence and visit CO for a few weeks? The freezing weather here in TX is horrendous!!!!

Old 12-22-2008, 07:49 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
I left Tallahassee to move to Chicago... much better there imo...

I am back for grad school for a few years, but leaving soon as I'm done I'm sure. You'll have much much better career growth elsewhere and much higher quality of living things to do.

Tally though is a great place to raise kids... and you have kids. so... really up to you.

Really depends on what you are into, where u want to move...

I wouldn't move based on "best cities to live lists" they are mostly all statistical...not much relevance.

what industry are you in? what activies do you like? what temperatures can you tolerate...how much do you like dining out, or shopping, or culture, museums, travel (big airport?) etc...

those should more decide where u want to move.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM

727 posts, read 1,837,530 times
Check out Raleigh NC. Not a bad aspect about it. Your family will probably follow once they visit you. Plenty of Floridians there too, you'll feel like your in "Old FL" again, lol.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM

23 posts, read 94,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Believe me it's gonna be ALOT harder to get adjusted than you think. Especially the cold weather and allergies out West. Why don't you just take a leave of absence and visit CO for a few weeks? The freezing weather here in TX is horrendous!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I wouldn't move based on "best cities to live lists" they are mostly all statistical...not much relevance.
It's not so much that specific location, it's more about just trying something new. I've also researched a lot (housing, taxes, schools, jobs, etc.) for Charlotte, Savannah, Naples, St. Pete, Aheville, Chattanooga, and maybe a few others I'm forgetting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
what industry are you in? what activies do you like? what temperatures can you tolerate...how much do you like dining out, or shopping, or culture, museums, travel (big airport?) etc...

those should more decide where u want to move.
I see what you mean. I guess we're the cusp of being able to change our lives. We're young, 2 kids, and on one income (which would make it easier to find one job, rather than two).

I think as soon as our second kid is old enough (3 weeks old), I'll plan some vacations to places neither of us have been (my wife has traveled to many more places than I).

Old 12-23-2008, 12:05 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Check out Raleigh NC. Not a bad aspect about it. Your family will probably follow once they visit you. Plenty of Floridians there too, you'll feel like your in "Old FL" again, lol.

I wonder if the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce has job openings.....

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 PM

727 posts, read 1,837,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I wonder if the Raleigh Chamber of Commerce has job openings.....
Probably not, so many Floridians probably beat me to it! Besides, show me a city that can compete with Raleigh when comparing quality of life...

Old 12-23-2008, 11:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0akback View Post
So, am I crazy? Can someone talk me out of this? Or is it really a great idea to live in different areas for awhile?
No, you're not crazy. What is crazy is not living life the way that makes your family & you happy..within reasonable means of course!

I've lived in OH, CA, SC, GA, VA, KY, TX, FL, and South Korea. Not visited for a few weeks or even a few months but truly lived for 12 months or longer (Korea was the 12 month stint). The military was the majority of the moves. Every time it was a new adventure with pros & cons.

Once I had children though, things truly, truly changed. I think this also depends on one's parenting choices & needs as a parent. My dh & I have healthy relationships with our parents and siblings. Our siblings also have children who are in the same age range of our children. We prefer to be near family. And no, family CANNOT fly or drive to see you are every holiday, whim or need.

Some parents do not need to be near family and are very happy & content.

We lived in Punta Gorda based on job circumstances & all of our family was 1150 miles or more away. With a young toddler & another one the way, flying to see them or driving to see them on a regular basis was not practical. Nor was it practical to expect them to do the same. It was tough & we were not very happy. Mix that with the awfulness of SWFL in general & it was just not a good time.

Soooo, what I am trying to say is that you really need to think about family first. Are you children attached to the family that you are currently by? Are you attached to them? Would you be ok seeing family once or twice a year if even that? It's REALLY easy to "assume" that you will see them more often when you move but that assumption can quickly change as the needs of your employer & your kids will take precedence.

I've never been content to have things the same. My dh would be ok if we never changed the layout of our living room the rest of our lives. But, as my children get older & their relationships with their grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins blossom to amazing extents, no weather or city or museum or beach can even come close to comparing.

Weather doesn't trump family in my book.

So, if you have an itch to move & try something new, maybe Savannah, GA or Charlotte, NC...both beautiful cities with decent weather & not extreme car trips from FL.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2008, 06:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,936,527 times
Been there done that,we did that 1966,Ct to Jax FL,to Jax Beach to Denver 1971 then 1977 Washington state back to Denver,then 1988 back to FL,then 2000 to CT and now in Lake City FL.I can tell you this at the time was fun,I had job that allowed transfer keeping seniority.Now at 76 we would like to move back to Ct and be with family,do not know if we can afford it.Life today is complicated with all sorts of regulation etc,much,much simpler than.I would not do it again with hindsight being 20/20.Now Ct getting ready for revaluation and they tax from A to Z.My taxes here this year $464,car plates $35,license was 8 years,now 6 because of age around $15,no other hassles.If I were to pass my wife would get estate no hassle,unlike Ct..My utilities very reasonable.So as of now very comfortable but would still like to be with family,all older than me.We used vacation time for travel,today you are priced out.Unless you have special skills I would stay put,the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:27 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Some people are just more inclined to roam than others. I grew up and went to school in Michigan with a five month side trip to DC, spent a couple years in TN, and then ended up in the Panhandle. For the most part, I like where we live now, but if a good job opportunity came up in Tampa/Orlando/Melbourne or in Arizona, I could see jumping on it.

In this economic climate, I wouldn't move without either a firm job offer in hand or a solid six months of expenses in the bank. You also need to think about how you'd handle health insurance transition and all that other stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida