Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 09:42 PM

670 posts, read 1,744,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Shopping we can't do... all the plastic is maxed out
-

Let them eat cake and drink mojitos

-
just kiddin...about the cake...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,834,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggy View Post
If you're a renter, it's checkmate against Florida: if conditions stabilize or improve, we can buy at reduced prices; if FL goes Mad Max, renters simply leave. I have portability, cash, and options. What do I care if Florida weathers this storm well or not? Boomers have ransomed nearly everything in the last decade. This bust is fabulous for those who have not been hallucinating the last few years.

Dang, Shores9, you can't even discuss economics without getting homophobic again. XOxo

Good to have you back.
Dang, there you go again Muggy (as Sarah or maybe hillnotes would say)... good to be back. Thanks

Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
If you're a renter, it's checkmate against Florida: if conditions stabilize or improve, we can buy at reduced prices; if FL goes Mad Max, renters simply leave. I have portability, cash, and options. What do I care if Florida weathers this storm well or not? Boomers have ransomed nearly everything in the last decade. This bust is fabulous for those who have not been hallucinating the last few years.

Dang, Shores9, you can't even discuss economics without getting homophobic again. XOxo

Good to have you back.
Muggy – And so a renter you will be! Really not a bad position to be in from a money position – I’ve been thinking about it myself recently. There is however a fundamental difference in philosophy at play.

I choose to own part of the American franchise. The right to own land is one of our greatest freedoms and a common thread that binds Americans. Renters are transient by nature, no vested interest in the basic building block of our country, the local community.

A sense of community is what made this country great and was so worth fighting for. Unfortunately, today it takes a 9/11 type catastrophe to ignite that sense of community, otherwise people really don’t care much about their neighbors, don’t pull together to help one another, or even say thank you if you hold the door for them. No it’s all about them today

How can we make our country and world better if we are so self centered? And when we have no vested interested in where we live it just gives us less to care about.

PS Here’s a thought for you – regardless of you renter’s position - portability, cash, and options you are fast becoming a landowner without the benefits of actually owning. Unless you put everything else ahead of your country and move out of the US entirely the taxpayer burden [on you] for bailing out this country will hit you too – is it fair NO did you do everything right PROBABLY – will you have to share in the solution YOU BETCHA

Old 10-08-2008, 01:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Florida has so many disadvantages that will have to be overcome before it can be economically stable. As of now this state depends on outside money from all over to keep the fake economy going. This overinflated farce has kept real estate prices so high that cuting-edge new businesses go elsewhere. Why would someone build a solar array or an algae farm when they could build more profitable residential or retail space? When the supply of funny money stops flowing, the shops and condos will become vacant, and the real economic engines can restart. If they do not Florida will be a very dysfunctional state for decades to come.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Not to make an ongoing housing debate here but todays pending home sales numbers were pretty refreshing.

"What we're seeing is the momentum of people taking advantage of low home prices, with pending-home sales up strongly in California, Nevada, Arizona, Florida, Rhode Island and the Washington, D.C., region,"

"The improvement also reflects the drop in mortgage interest rates after the government takeover of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae,"

Lets see if Florida continues this trend

Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shores9 View Post
Not to make an ongoing housing debate here but todays pending home sales numbers were pretty refreshing.
Karnat the Magnificent <-------- Envelope touches forehead.

What are astronomical cancellation rates?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:39 PM

944 posts, read 3,849,075 times
Rather than engaging in our typical flamefest, I'll respond intelligently to your post:

Quote:
Renters are transient by nature, no vested interest in the basic building block of our country, the local community.
This is a "nice and pretty" vision, but the reality is that you have more properties in more locations than I do. So whereas I am a part of one community, and have been since 2005, you are a part of whatever community you think is a "good investment." In my estimation, you have moved more than I have unless I don't have all the facts.

Quote:
A sense of community is what made this country great and was so worth fighting for. Unfortunately, today it takes a 9/11 type catastrophe to ignite that sense of community.
This is a strange position to take - to evoke the emotions of 9/11 to substantiate your land position. If you need terrorist activity to get to know your neighbor, that's your problem, not mine, and not specifically a rent/own conundrum either.

Quote:
Unless you put everything else ahead of your country and move out of the US entirely the taxpayer burden [on you] for bailing out this country will hit you too – is it fair NO did you do everything right PROBABLY – will you have to share in the solution YOU BETCHA
My taxes have not gone up, and my cost of living has been decreasing recently. The government may bail out whomoever it wishes, this does not change my position of living below my means, it in fact justifies it. I cannot control what the nutbags in Washington will do with the printing presses.

JBravo, that made me laugh very, very hard.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
This is a "nice and pretty" vision, but the reality is that you have more properties in more locations than I do. So whereas I am a part of one community, and have been since 2005, you are a part of whatever community you think is a "good investment." In my estimation, you have moved more than I have unless I don't have all the facts.

My taxes have not gone up, and my cost of living has been decreasing recently. The government may bail out whomoever it wishes, this does not change my position of living below my means, it in fact justifies it. I cannot control what the nutbags in Washington will do with the printing presses.
Muggy

My reality as a property owner in today’s market is neither nice nor pretty. It is however a reflection of my desires and values. Something we obviously differ on.

Since 2002 I have lived in 2 communities. I have been proud of the homes I have owned and have always worked hard (more than you could ever know as a renter) to keep them in excellent condition.

I’m in my mid 50’s and have owned a home since I was 24. Owning [not investing] is a serious commitment - one I feel it is a reflection and extension of who I am.

As a renter you may be a part of that community but you are just sub-leasing your position in that community on a year to year or month to month basis.

Want to modify the floor plan to make room for the baby – you can’t! Ok move to another place.

Gang bangers pulling into the parking lot at 3am music booming– complain to the management – falls on deaf ears – move again.

Carpet smells like cat **** – Oh OK the landlord will probably agree to change it with some cheap crap!

Sure you make your unit a cozy place to stay but I doubt you or anyone else will invest a nickel above the minimums to improve the actual dwelling or its surroundings.

Owning is not for everyone -- but over the hard work, stress, and sometimes sleepless nights worrying, I choose the rights and freedom we have to be land owners and as a result bear the responsibilities that go with it

You choose otherwise – and that’s OK.

As for your taxes well… they are going to go up on someone- glad to hear you’re not one of them. Also glad to hear you’re living below your means – I’ve been working hard to be in the same position [and getting there] So I guess we can agree on that.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:38 AM

85 posts, read 199,431 times
there was news clip today on msnbc talking about people buying up 2-3 bedroom houses around cape coral for like 50-100k

Old 10-09-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep-blue-water View Post
there was news clip today on msnbc talking about people buying up 2-3 bedroom houses around cape coral for like 50-100k
That can't be right! The experts here called bottom months ago.
As I've said many times before, "It's ALWAYS a GREAT time to buy!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida