Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2024, 10:47 AM

4,511 posts, read 3,887,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Haven't seen any mosquitos in 3 weeks since I moved to Florida from Texas.
Humidity also feels lower.
I had pretty decent size yard in TX, but didn't use it much because of mosquitos.
So it all depends...
Come on over to my house in Tampa; there's enough mosquitoes here to fill your yard and mine 10x over. I open the door and the first thing they do is swarm inside; they are not stupid. They like AC.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:25 AM

2,447 posts, read 2,544,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Come on over to my house in Tampa; there's enough mosquitoes here to fill your yard and mine 10x over. I open the door and the first thing they do is swarm inside; they are not stupid. They like AC.
I'm in Tampa Bay as well.
Haven't seen mosquitoes yet. And I spend a lot of time outside.

Old 05-13-2024, 11:44 AM

4,511 posts, read 3,887,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I'm in Tampa Bay as well.
Haven't seen mosquitoes yet. And I spend a lot of time outside.
Does your property have a lot of shade (giant trees)? Mine does. They love shade. I had to douse myself in DEET yesterday to be able to work in the yard

Old 05-13-2024, 12:18 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,544,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Does your property have a lot of shade (giant trees)? Mine does. They love shade. I had to douse myself in DEET yesterday to be able to work in the yard
I have new construction/no shade.
But I stayed in some shaded areas for several days, haven't seen mosquitos there either.
And been to several parks/nature preserves.

Check out Village Creek State Park in Texas. It's pretty nice, but with tons of mosquitoes. And compare to Tampa Bay parks. Let's see if you can find a difference.

Old 05-13-2024, 01:54 PM

15,017 posts, read 12,231,304 times
FL has its share of mosquitos, that is for sure. We tend to see them ( or hear and feel them, really) as the sun goes down and we're outside. I avoid spending much time outside at night without a lot of mosquito spray ( I use Deep Woods Off) as I seem to be a mosquito magnet. We also get these nearly invisible critters in the evenings too called no see'ums" that bite and leave ( at least on me) a hyooge red and intensely itchy welt the next day. I never see them or feel their bite, but I sure see their effects the next day.

Old 05-13-2024, 02:17 PM

26,014 posts, read 13,015,619 times
Florida's gas tax of 32 cents/gal ranks above the midpoint, so DeSantis could help a lot of people by reducing it by a few cents/gal.

Florida doesn't charge tax on groceries...only 13 States do, but FLA's not one of them.

Gov DeSantis increased the # of tax holidays from 2 to 6...I like the back to school tax holiday, but the rest, not so much.

Old 05-13-2024, 03:07 PM

15,017 posts, read 12,231,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida's gas tax of 32 cents/gal ranks above the midpoint, so DeSantis could help a lot of people by reducing it by a few cents/gal.

Florida doesn't charge tax on groceries...only 13 States do, but FLA's not one of them.

Gov DeSantis increased the # of tax holidays from 2 to 6...I like the back to school tax holiday, but the rest, not so much.

Some of the other tax holidays are for hurricane preparation items, which I think is also a good idea.

Old 05-13-2024, 05:04 PM

20,235 posts, read 21,005,522 times
Just shows how much money Florida is raking in.
Now NY for example, is pulling their hair out of their head trying to figure out how to overcome the biblical level shortfall they are having and as usual for a blue state, they’re looking to raise the crap out of taxes and implement even more tolls, fees, and so on.
Continually shooting themselves in the foot. Keep chasing people away to places like…Florida.

Old 05-14-2024, 05:50 AM

26,014 posts, read 13,015,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Some of the other tax holidays are for hurricane preparation items, which I think is also a good idea.
I could go along with that.

Old 05-14-2024, 09:48 AM

661 posts, read 423,213 times
Sorry to rain on the parade but all of the below was taken directly from the article linked by the OP...I provided a few of the most important snippets below.

Maybe we should read beyond headlines? Just a thought...

DeSantis also took a verbal shot at the Biden administration for the inflation rates that continue to drive up the price of items to Floridians and Americans. Despite that criticism, PolitiFact determined last year that more than one-third last year’s proposed budget that DeSantis introduced came from the federal government led by President Joe Biden.

PolitiFact: Is $1 of Every $3 Ron DeSantis Spends From the Federal Government? Yes

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis' State of the State address contrasted the pressures of rising inflation during President Joe Biden's first term with Florida's economic success.

But state Democrats said DeSantis ought to give the president more credit.

"He will attack President Biden and Congress over and over again," House Minority Leader Fentrice Driskell, D-Tampa, said in her March 7 response to DeSantis' speech. But he "won't mention that $1 of every $3 he spends comes from the federal government."

Because of the 2021 American Rescue Plan that Biden signed, Florida received around $8.8 billion in state and local recovery funds.

The governor's office did not respond to PolitiFact's request for comment. But much of the initiatives DeSantis lauded in press conferences throughout Florida heavily relied on funding from the American Rescue Plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida