Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 10:32 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Amelia Island was once a very small quiet sleepy coastal town that was mostly middle class now it is an extremely affluent retirement community. We definitely feel out of place living here now.

I grew up in Jacksonville, and Amelia Island was always known for being where the "richies" lived. And that was in the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 05:57 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
I think this is a great thing. Small aesthetic improvements can mean big return for the city’s residents. One FL town I’ve seen this happen in is Oakland Park. It’s a former working class industrial suburb that, when the town invested big money into their streetscapes, downtown and parks, values skyrocketed and it’s now a pretty prosperous area where you’re more likely to see a Land Rover than a pickup truck. Some may argue this is a bad thing, but it’s not for local business and homeowners.

I’ve driven through Sebring and thought the downtown was beautiful and historic. It’s a shame poverty is so high.

Old 03-02-2024, 09:56 AM

27,180 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think this is a great thing. Small aesthetic improvements can mean big return for the city’s residents. One FL town I’ve seen this happen in is Oakland Park. It’s a former working class industrial suburb that, when the town invested big money into their streetscapes, downtown and parks, values skyrocketed and it’s now a pretty prosperous area where you’re more likely to see a Land Rover than a pickup truck. Some may argue this is a bad thing, but it’s not for local business and homeowners.

I’ve driven through Sebring and thought the downtown was beautiful and historic. It’s a shame poverty is so high.
I feel like maybe Oakland Park circled back. When I grew up in South Florida in the 60s and 70s I seem to recall that area was fairly well off comparably speaking to our decidedly very middle class high school. Our local athletic teams competed often against Northeast HS (Oakland Park's high school) which at the time had some apparently higher income kids and the campus events on their home turf seemed to reflect that with the parents.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:22 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I feel like maybe Oakland Park circled back. When I grew up in South Florida in the 60s and 70s I seem to recall that area was fairly well off comparably speaking to our decidedly very middle class high school. Our local athletic teams competed often against Northeast HS (Oakland Park's high school) which at the time had some apparently higher income kids and the campus events on their home turf seemed to reflect that with the parents.
Yeah, Oakland Park certainly became a rough area. Now, with all the newcomers to Florida, and the LGBT population being priced out of Wilton Manors, Oakland Park is taking off. We purchased an investment property here several years ago and the value has gone up by about 275%. I do feel for the middle class being pushed out, though - but that seems to be what’s happening everywhere in coastal Florida these days.

Old 03-05-2024, 11:10 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,860,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Considering all the building in Lakeland stretching to Haines City and Winterhaven, the building is coming either way.

I do agree for the most part but my biggest gripe with constant expansion in Florida is how poor the Road infrastructure is in these areas to support the extra population. The local areas are so concerned with attracting builders and businesses that they overlook the fact that many areas have 1 state road or 1 county road in and out. And it can take over a decade before any construction on additional roads to help starts.

The areas around Tampa can be awful due to this issue and at least they have a major Highway (I-75) to use (or sit in traffic on). You build up Central Florida away from I-4 and it going to be quite some time before infrastructure catches up with all the building. And you might only get a toll highway extension from Lakeland down which would also suck.
True. There's only 27 and 17 both which have lots of truckers on them and people just passing through. The heartland parkway should have been built for this traffic to drive on instead.

Eventually the growth in central Polk county could will work its way down to Avon Park which is just along the border line there. That means Highlands, Hardee, Desoto counties to name a few could grow a lot in the future given their central location, lower cost of living and availability of land to build on. The southern coastal areas of Florida are too built up and expensive.

Old 03-11-2024, 09:53 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Laurel, Ms......the standard for design excellence, LOL. Has anyone lived in Laurel? I did growing up, it is the end of the earth. The old Masonite plant is probably the high point of architectural excellence.

Old 03-13-2024, 12:54 PM

27,180 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Laurel, Ms......the standard for design excellence, LOL. Has anyone lived in Laurel? I did growing up, it is the end of the earth. The old Masonite plant is probably the high point of architectural excellence.
I would go with probably not...

https://downtownlaurel.com/tourism-t...historic-homes

Old 03-14-2024, 01:14 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Things change. Laurel has made a very public resurgence.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:24 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Typical killjoy FL forum responses I suppose...shocking.

Sebring needs help for those living there. 1/3 of the town lives in poverty, the median household income is less than most cities average median incomes (38K per year). The average age is 46 which means most young people leave, because there is no employment or future there. It's not about making it into a tourist town for out-of-state visitors and more probably for the folks living in SE or SW Florida who might make a day trip and pump some money into their local economy, which sounds horrifying. *insert eyeroll*
I watched both previous seasons (Wetumpka, AL and Fort Morgan, CO) and found the Napiers' vision for the community to be very senstitive to their feelings. They have a philosophy of improving what really needs it, but also when to leave well enough alone. That, more than anything, is what they're known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida