Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2024, 01:25 PM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times

Advertisements

told you so...

" The new year now means six new companies are ready to enter the state and start writing homeowners insurance policies"

"The six new companies are Tailrow Insurance Company, Mainsail Insurance Company, Orion 180 Insurance Company, Orion 180 Select Insurance Company, Orange Insurance Exchange and Condo Owners Reciprocal Insurance."

"All of them, Friedlander said, have been vetted and cleared by state regulators."

"The companies are financially sound, according to the rating agencies."

"He also said many of the companies have been waiting until 2024 to enter the Florida market after litigation reforms were passed and the 2023 hurricane season ended."

https://www.wptv.com/money/real-esta...florida-market
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2024, 03:01 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,844,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
told you so...

" The new year now means six new companies are ready to enter the state and start writing homeowners insurance policies"

"The six new companies are Tailrow Insurance Company, Mainsail Insurance Company, Orion 180 Insurance Company, Orion 180 Select Insurance Company, Orange Insurance Exchange and Condo Owners Reciprocal Insurance."

"All of them, Friedlander said, have been vetted and cleared by state regulators."

"The companies are financially sound, according to the rating agencies."

"He also said many of the companies have been waiting until 2024 to enter the Florida market after litigation reforms were passed and the 2023 hurricane season ended."

https://www.wptv.com/money/real-esta...florida-market

Oh how WONDERFUL! I just can't wait to see my premium drop by 50% or more!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Somehow, I doubt it.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/flori...nstitute-rates

According to the Insurance Information Institute, homeowner’s insurance has increased 102% in the last three years in Florida and costs three times more than the national average. The average cost of home insurance in the Sunshine State in 2023 was about $6,000, the highest average premium in the U.S.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:40 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,281,879 times
That’s welcome news! I don’t enjoy being at the mercy of Citizens.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:48 PM

25,707 posts, read 12,786,330 times
I moved back to Florida 7 years ago, & built a new home 5 yrs ago. Its a ~3,000 sq ft home valued today at ~$1M

My homeoweners insurance has never exceeded $2,000, even including the 3 years I had flood coverage...before I cancelled it.

I'd like to see your source for the average HOI being $6k/yr. This link says it's ~$4k:

https://www.insurance.com/home-and-r...ners-insurance

So, I've shown you mine, so now can I see yours?

I'll ask my insurance broker to shop the 6 new companies to see if I can do any better than the Olympus coverage I have now...Thx Corrie!

Old 01-25-2024, 03:53 PM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The average cost of home insurance in the Sunshine State in 2023 was about $6,000, the highest average premium in the U.S.
''

if you try to research this on the internet....to find how they came up with that number.....you get nothing

...a lot of lower figures.....closest ones are including hurricane/wind

Old 01-25-2024, 05:09 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,165,173 times
CNN shows "And to try to stay solvent, the remaining insurers are charging rates nearly four times as high as the national average. Homeowners in the state pay private insurers about $6,000 a year, compared to a national average of $1,700."

However, they cite no source or attribution for their $6000 amount.

All other sources show amounts significantly less than $6000 and quote their source.

For example, Forbes magazine shows an average premium of $2,030 for $350,000 dwelling coverage. They cite Quadrant Information Services as source.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeo...ers-insurance/

Old 01-25-2024, 06:46 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
That’s welcome news! I don’t enjoy being at the mercy of Citizens.
Citizens is underpriced "in general", may not pertain to you specifically.

This is all backed up in their math that is publically available.

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, just spitting facts.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
CNN shows "And to try to stay solvent, the remaining insurers are charging rates nearly four times as high as the national average. Homeowners in the state pay private insurers about $6,000 a year, compared to a national average of $1,700."

However, they cite no source or attribution for their $6000 amount.

All other sources show amounts significantly less than $6000 and quote their source.

For example, Forbes magazine shows an average premium of $2,030 for $350,000 dwelling coverage. They cite Quadrant Information Services as source.

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/homeo...ers-insurance/
1. No offense to general news sources but well, they often get things wrong when it comes to niche topics, espeically insurance, finance....anything tricky. Their budgets are all cut to heck over the years.

2. SO, I would trust Forbes, their focus is in that area, they generally get it right.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:52 PM

The key here folks is what is the CAPACITY* of those 6 companies, what is their appetite?

In laymans terms, let's say you have a field of rotting pumpkins that you can't get to market but your neighbors have pigs that will eat the pumpkins and pay you for it.

So, if 6 farmers show up with 5 pigs each...you're still screwed if you have millions of pumpkins.

* Insurance term meaning how much risk or premium they will take on.

P.S. I will give you informed, honest answers with zero political etc. spin folks, you may not like the answers.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:56 PM

181 posts, read 139,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I moved back to Florida 7 years ago, & built a new home 5 yrs ago. Its a ~3,000 sq ft home valued today at ~$1M

My homeoweners insurance has never exceeded $2,000, even including the 3 years I had flood coverage...before I cancelled it.

I'd like to see your source for the average HOI being $6k/yr. This link says it's ~$4k:

https://www.insurance.com/home-and-r...ners-insurance

So, I've shown you mine, so now can I see yours?

I'll ask my insurance broker to shop the 6 new companies to see if I can do any better than the Olympus coverage I have now...Thx Corrie!

? Where is your home; what is your premium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida