Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 02:05 AM

251 posts, read 236,597 times
Hello everybody
This manufactured home is in a flood zone.

it's in a park that has a low score risk for flooding 3 out of 10 score.

The park is 30 years old it's never had a major flood where homes have been totally destroyed by flood.
A couple of homes had some minor water issues when the hurricanes came through last year.

they were quite a few damaged with wind damage.

This home is almost half as much as some that I've seen that are not in a flood zone

I'm wondering if I should take the risk ?

it's in flood zone AE. This particular house is never flooded and has been in the park for about 20 years

We are cash buyers so we don't have to put flood insurance on it.

If we added flood insurance it will cost approximately $1,000 a year.

We were told if our house floods but the neighbors doesn't that they wouldn't pay the claim.

I'm wondering if it's worth the insurance or should we be walking away and not buying it.
Nay advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2024, 04:43 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
4 times?

Old 01-18-2024, 06:39 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Hello everybody

The park is 30 years old it's never had a major flood where homes have been totally destroyed by flood.
A couple of homes had some minor water issues when the hurricanes came through last year.

This home is almost half as much as some that I've seen that are not in a flood zone

it's in flood zone AE. This particular house is never flooded and has been in the park for about 20 years

We were told if our house floods but the neighbors doesn't that they wouldn't pay the claim.

I'm wondering if it's worth the insurance or should we be walking away and not buying it.
Nay advice?
Question: what makes you think that buying a mobile home in a trailer park that's sitting on a depressed flood plain, in a park that HAS had flooding in the past year, and not getting flood insurance - is a GOOD idea?

Maybe answer that question and you'll have the answer to your original question.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:47 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Question: what makes you think that buying a mobile home in a trailer park that's sitting on a depressed flood plain, in a park that HAS had flooding in the past year, and not getting flood insurance - is a GOOD idea?

Maybe answer that question and you'll have the answer to your original question.
What he/she said ^^^.

Old 01-18-2024, 11:11 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,308,300 times
If it's in Sarasota County, some FEMA flood maps are set to change, with effective date March 2024.

Regardless if you have flood insurance or not, check what the min Base Flood Elevation (BFE) above sea level is. The FEMA flood map would have this info. If the home is damaged in the future(whether flood or fire or wind) and if you repair the home by greater than 50% of the home's value, then the elevation of 1st floor must meet new code. In many areas, this is now BFE + 1 foot. Same if you get a new home for the site - must be raised, as needed, to meet the flood zone elevation rules. Perhaps the home is high enough in elevation currently that it is already at or ABOVE the required BFE now. An elevation certificate (local surveyers do these) would tell you this elevation info...it gives the FEMA required min elevation (BFE) as well as what is the actual elevation for that home(elevation above sea level for bottom of the 1st floor of living area)

Could be a non-issue or could be that the home would need to be raised by 2 or 3ft. All this depends on the FEMA mandated BFE for that home. FEMA, and the county, has a web site where you can plug in the home address to get the FEMA required BFE

Could be worth the risk if the price is right and if flooding is not common in that park. I had a home in same flood zone as you and it never flooded and never came close to flooding, and none in the area ever flooded in many decades, even after direct hits by hurricanes.

If your quoted flood insurance is $1000/year, then it might already be at or above FEMA's min required elevation. If you got a flood insurance quote, then there must be an elevation certificate already

Last edited by Variable; 01-18-2024 at 11:33 AM..

Old 01-18-2024, 11:18 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc1022 View Post
Hello everybody

Nay advice?
I have a friend in a Park like you mention and the only damage from flooding was a couple of homes near a big pond. Nothing near the water of the river. The cities flood likelihood is very large and many hones were severely damaged in the last hurricane. However the Park is in an X zone, unlike the rest of the city, so not a major issue there. Check flood zone maps for the entire area where you could live, not just an overall one.

Old 01-18-2024, 05:30 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,185,387 times
An increasing number of people in Florida are going bare with regard to insurance due to the high costs.

Old 01-19-2024, 07:58 AM

5,202 posts, read 6,142,795 times
You have to decide what is best for you and not what we think (I don’t mean to sound harsh).

Insurance is a gamble you are betting with or against the odds you will need it. We live in an X Zone on a barrier island a block back from the beach. The distance to actually touch water from our house though is several thousand feet.
In 1964 there was a destructive hurricane here that took out and entire street and sugar shacks on the north end of the island. Sixty years later no hurricanes have even come close to that storm or hit our area.

We pay $1100 a year for flood insurance……will we ever use it? Probably not but I am not going to take that one in a million chance.

Weather patterns have been changing, Ian was the perfect storm with timing as far as tides and ferocity.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:09 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
OP, if able I would highly recommend investing the $85 per month cost for some peace of mind. FL is seeing unprecedented flooding in areas not seen prior and while your area could be low risk now, in a couple of years that could change under the right circumstance.

Old 01-21-2024, 12:41 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,200,722 times
Get the flood insurance. You'd be foolish not to for $1k. Oftentimes, homes not even in flood zones will flood if there is a change in the environment. For example, a vacant wooded lot is bulldozed for new development and they don't construct enough retention ponds and all the runoff gets dumped into neighboring homes that never flooded before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida