Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 05:45 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,336,963 times

Advertisements

My mom died and thinking about selling my house. My 4 bed 2300 SQ house valued on Zillow is only 405k now!! With others in the area selling for around the same price. Earlier this year going for 465k range!

Thanks Democraps and Biden's high interest rates.

Im seeing 68 to 201 days sitting on the market in my area and 40k price cuts!

Last edited by MOforthewin; 12-28-2023 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 06:01 AM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Sorry to hear about your loss MO.

Reading your posts, you seem to want to leave oldsville (Pt. Charlotte) & move back to SW Missouri.

Life's too short to sit 'round here waiting for the prices to climb back up to the all-time highs...which may not happen for years.

Maybe rent it out for a year, move back to MO, & rent there, as a trial run...then make the final decision.

If I were a Single guy <50 yrs old like you, this is the last place you'd catch me. I'd move to the Tampa Bay area in a flash.

Good luck on whatever you decide. While deciding, I suggest getting the house looking as good as it can look.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:21 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Real estate investing isn't the same as homeownership.

If you're considering moving, and living in another home somewhere, the only things you really need to worry about are:

How much can you get for it compared to how much you've paid into it so far = how much profit you can walk away with

and

What can you buy with the proceeds of the sale.

If the prices dropped wherever your destination is proportionate to the sales price of your current home, then it doesn't matter that the prices dropped. Your affordability doesn't change at all.

As for WHY home prices are dropping, it's a combination of things. Interests going up, and Florida's insurance scams driving people to leave, lowering their home prices to make quicker sales.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:58 AM

486 posts, read 996,542 times
We bought a condo in Southwest Florida 7 years ago. While currently it's still worth more than double what we paid for it, with the increase in weather related catastrophic events combined with Florida's huge insurance issues, it might be time to rethink owning property in Florida before it's too late. These issues are fast becoming factors in Florida's real estate market. I know several people who were planning on moving to Florida and are now looking elsewhere.

Last edited by Barbara; 12-30-2023 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-30-2023, 07:07 AM

30,408 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
We bought a condo in Southwest Florida 7 years ago. While it's still worth more than double what we paid for it, with the increase in weather related catastrophic events combined with Florida's huge insurance issues, it might be time to rethink owning property in Florida before it's too late. These issues are fast becoming factors in Florida's real estate market. I know several people who were planning on moving to Florida and are now looking elsewhere.
Ins cost will crash it here.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:16 AM

486 posts, read 996,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Ins cost will crash it here.
It's already happening. A few more bad storms and it's over. Are there any real solutions? This should be the top priority of every elected official in the state.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:42 AM

25,701 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Quote:
We bought a condo in Southwest Florida 7 years ago. While currently it's still worth more than double what we paid for it, with the increase in weather related catastrophic events combined with Florida's huge insurance issues, it might be time to rethink owning property in Florida before it's too late. These issues are fast becoming factors in Florida's real estate market. I know several people who were planning on moving to Florida and are now looking elsewhere.

We bought in SW FLA 5 yrs ago, our home doubled in value, then in the past year, it fell back to just under that.

Our $550k home's now worth ~$1M...an 81% increase in value....we're up $450k (if we were to sell today), based on comps.

Repair & replacement costs have increased by ~25%, due to inflation over the past 3 yrs.

So, of course, & our insurance went from $1,200 to $1,800 in the past 3 years too...big whup.

$450,000/5yrs=$90,000/yr. in appreciation, versus $600/yr. higher insurance cost...who wouldn't take that tradeoff?

If you are smart about buying the right home, in the right place, FLA insurance can be affordable.

I've posted here, & in the Sarasota-Bradenton forum, at least 20x during the past 5 yrs. how to get affordable insurance in FLA, but you may need to make sacrifices to do so.

If you buy an old frame home in a bad flood zone, with a gable roof, far from a fire station, your gonna pay massive insurance costs.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:11 AM

30,408 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
It's already happening. A few more bad storms and it's over. Are there any real solutions? This should be the top priority of every elected official in the state.
Go bare is the only way out. I have saved over 100k going bare on the gulf the last 19 years.

Old 12-30-2023, 08:47 AM

3,234 posts, read 3,187,851 times
If you have a mortgage, you really can’t go bare.

Here in Gainesville, our home is up 50% in value, if you believe Zillow. We bought in late 2017.

Our taxes, homeowners insurance and car insurance have gone up, but still nothing like South Florida levels. Of course, real estate values in South Florida also increased significantly.

For example, we paid a tad more than $200k for the home we bought in Weston in 1996. We thought we were geniuses when we sold it for a bit more than $500k in 2016. During the real estate downturn, it was valued at about $350k as per Zillow. So we thought we were selling at the peak.

We were wrong. The Zillow value is nearly a million dollars (!!!!). Is it a million dollar home? Despite having owned it in the past, I think not.

Would prices drop by 50% or so? I can see them dropping, but not by that much.

Old 12-30-2023, 09:00 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

If you buy an old frame home in a bad flood zone, with a gable roof, far from a fire station, your gonna pay massive insurance costs.
Actually, you probably couldn't get any insurance at all. All homes have to pass a four point inspection also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida