Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 06:45 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times

Advertisements

If you have ever tried to reserve an overnight stay for an RV, tent or cabin in a state park, this is really good news!

Effective Jan. 1, 2024, at noon Eastern time, only Florida residents may make reservations for cabins and RV, tent, boat and equestrian campsites 11 months in advance. Non-Florida residents will be able to make reservations 10 months in advance.

To take advantage of this new benefit, Florida residents will need to provide a valid Florida driver’s license or ID card number at the time of booking. Starting today, Florida residents may update their profile associated with the Florida State Parks Reservation System to add their valid Florida driver’s license or ID card number. This information, which will be validated with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, will need to be verified annually.

Before making a reservation 11 months in advance, Florida residents be asked to attest to the following statement:

I understand and attest that this camping reservation is being made under the Florida Residents Preference provisions outlined in s. 258.014(2), Florida Statutes. I am a Florida resident, and I agree to provide my Florida driver’s license number or Florida identification card number issued under s. 322.051, Florida Statutes, as proof of Florida residency while making this reservation and upon arrival in the state park during check-in. I also acknowledge that this reservation is not transferable. Any attempt to use this reservation by anyone other than this account holder will result in cancellation, forfeiture of all fees associated with this reservation, and assessment of the cancellation fee pursuant to the Florida State Parks Fee Schedule. Furthermore, any attempt to circumvent the spirit and intent of Florida Residents Preference by this account holder, including the sale or transfer of overnight park reservations, may result in suspension of the account holder’s ability to make future reservations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 01:25 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Muh. I'd just reserve 10 months in advance. No need or reason to submit my drivers' license number on the internet.

Old 12-08-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Muh. I'd just reserve 10 months in advance. No need or reason to submit my drivers' license number on the internet.
No need at all, unless you actually want to secure a spot before all the snowbirds and tourists. I’m guessing you have never tried to get a camping spot in FL. Even Fort DeSoto is tough, it’s county owned and the county residents have spots available seven months ahead and non-residents six months ahead. We’re lucky if we can get any days. Forget the Keys or any desirable State park spots unless it’s in the heat of the summer.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
No need at all, unless you actually want to secure a spot before all the snowbirds and tourists. I’m guessing you have never tried to get a camping spot in FL. Even Fort DeSoto is tough, it’s county owned and the county residents have spots available seven months ahead and non-residents six months ahead. We’re lucky if we can get any days. Forget the Keys or any desirable State park spots unless it’s in the heat of the summer.
A friend of mine got a spot in the Keys 4 months before their trip. I just checked the Key Largo Kampground website and pretended to book a tent campsite for 2 adults, 2 kids. Found two availabilities. Also found an RV site on their property available. Week starting Friday March 8 through Thursday March 14 of this coming year. That's 4 months away.

So obviously - you CAN find spots on campgrounds in the Keys.

I won't bother checking the rest. I already know your statement is incorrect.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:01 AM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I just checked the Key Largo Kampground website....So obviously - you CAN find spots on campgrounds in the Keys..
here we go again.....

the subject is "Florida State Parks".....

Key Largo Kampground is not a "Florida State Park"....state park camp grounds are usually a lot cheaper...and more popular

Pennekamp is a state park.....it only has 47 spots and most are tent only

Quote:
I won't bother checking the rest. I already know your statement is incorrect.
no, it is 100% correct.....there are times when no one wants to go....and times when it seems everyone in this country wants to go...just because you find a vacancy on some time you want to go...does not mean it's that way all year

Last edited by Corrie22; 12-09-2023 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-09-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
here we go again.....

the subject is "Florida State Parks".....

Key Largo Kampground is not a "Florida State Park"....state park camp grounds are usually a lot cheaper...and more popular

Pennekamp is a state park.....it only has 47 spots and most are tent only

no, it is 100% correct.....there are times when no one wants to go....and times when it seems everyone in this country wants to go...just because you find a vacancy on some time you want to go...does not mean it's that way all year
I don't want to go. I already live in Florida, I don't need to rent a tent or RV for vacation in Florida.

I was responding to a post, that I quoted. I've bolded and underlined the part that I was responding to, where the poster insisted that there are no vacancies IN THE KEYS OR - any desireable State park spots, unless it's in the heat of summer.

I chose to check on vacancies in the Keys, in early March, since that would tick off two boxes for her. I had no trouble finding vacancies, in the Keys, that was not in the heat of summer, only four months away from now, which is another ticked box (the need to plan a year in advance in order to secure a spot before the snowbirds and tourists).

Context is everything.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:34 PM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
you do realize it's only extending the reservations for ”state parks”, right?

does not apply to private owned campgrounds like the example you gave, right?

and the OP was referring to state park campgrounds in the Keys, right?

if context is everything....you sure did miss the mark

Old 12-09-2023, 05:07 PM

And so - I delved further. I chose Friday Feb. 23-Feb. 29 - totally not even close to the heat of summer, and checked the State Park reservation system, for camping with a tent.

Highlands Hammock State Park = 8 available sites
Mike Roess Gold Head Branch State Park = 16 available sites
Manatee Springs State Park = 5 available sites
St. Andrews State Park = 2 available sites
Florida Caverns State Park = 1 available site
Topsail Hill Preserve State Park = 1 available site

Well lookie loo, all you negative Debbie Downers! 33 vacancies that are actually called Something-something "State Park" all for the end of February, not even three months away, without having to be a resident and provide an ID to reserve the spot!

If you want a cabin for that week, there's only one vacancy. But yes it's at a State Park: Torreya State Park.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:35 PM

I’m sorry I worded my post so badly. I did mean State Parks only and desirable parks and campsites that fill immediately when reservations open. I’m interested in several consecutive nights, not just one night.

The one we were interested in the Keys, Bahia Honda, has had no openings after reservations open. The competition is so stiff for desirable spots there are online sites/companies that give notice of cancellations for a fee. The prime spots at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve ( a Dark Sky Designation) are tough to get in season also, we’ve tried that too. Getting more than one night that is not in the middle of the week has been impossible for us so far in State Parks we want to camp in.

We want the spots everyone else want, not any park with an opening. We are hoping with less competition we might have a chance now with the change. We haven’t camped for years, but got a new tent and gear three years ago. We never realized everyone wants to camp in FL during the winter

Old 12-10-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
I’m sorry I worded my post so badly. I did mean State Parks only and desirable parks and campsites that fill immediately when reservations open. I’m interested in several consecutive nights, not just one night.

The one we were interested in the Keys, Bahia Honda, has had no openings after reservations open. The competition is so stiff for desirable spots there are online sites/companies that give notice of cancellations for a fee. The prime spots at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve ( a Dark Sky Designation) are tough to get in season also, we’ve tried that too. Getting more than one night that is not in the middle of the week has been impossible for us so far in State Parks we want to camp in.

We want the spots everyone else want, not any park with an opening. We are hoping with less competition we might have a chance now with the change. We haven’t camped for years, but got a new tent and gear three years ago. We never realized everyone wants to camp in FL during the winter
Long Key and Coral Reef both have vacancies for camping in October - less than 11 months away, less than the residency requirement. Both in the Keys, both "not the heat of summer," both State Parks.

Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park has 12 available camp sites in October. 21 sites in September. 10 in April.

I mean - you keep changing your criteria "no, I didn't mean to be this vague, I meant to be this specific" and every single time, I have no problem finding options that meet your specific criteria.

Of course if you are expecting a luxury cabin with your own hot tub with a privacy fence and concierge service with a mint on your pillow every night and gourmet food served to you by a team of Norwegian servants - well yeah you might be edged out by someone else.

But if you want what most people want, and don't feel entitled or overly picky, you'll find plenty of options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida