Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2023, 07:54 AM

219 posts, read 448,346 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about Lakeland. I've done some research and looked at Zillow and Realtor and see there are a lot of 55+ communities there (like everywhere in FL). Does anyone have first-hand experience or knowledge about Lakeland and the surrounding area? I'm on a very strict budget so I'd be interested in COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 10:03 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
When people say they're on a budget, or don't mention how much they'd want to spend, it's a red flag.

You're on a "very strict budget." Okay so what does that translate to, in 2023/2024 dollars? Are you looking to BUY, rent? Own a single-wide and lease the land?

Is a "very strict budget" what you'll live on after a downpayment on a mortgage, or are you paying cash for the property? How much is that budget for your average monthly expenses, and what portion of that monthly expense can be spent on your mortgage/rent, property taxes and utilities?

It makes a HUGE difference, what you mean by "very strict budget."

If by that you mean you can only spend $1000/month on mortgage, taxes, and utilities, then you'll be looking mostly for older single-and-double-wides in depressed neighborhoods.

If you mean you can spend up to $2000/month on mortgage, taxes, and utilities, then you're looking at s luxury double-wide/manufactured home with modern upgrades in a gated 55+ community in the northwest corner of Lakeland, OR a really crappy stand-alone stick-built house on a lot of land that needs upgrades and landscaping that you'd have to do yourself or pay extra for.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:44 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
When people say they're on a budget, or don't mention how much they'd want to spend, it's a red flag.

You're on a "very strict budget." Okay so what does that translate to, in 2023/2024 dollars? Are you looking to BUY, rent? Own a single-wide and lease the land?

Is a "very strict budget" what you'll live on after a downpayment on a mortgage, or are you paying cash for the property? How much is that budget for your average monthly expenses, and what portion of that monthly expense can be spent on your mortgage/rent, property taxes and utilities?

It makes a HUGE difference, what you mean by "very strict budget."

If by that you mean you can only spend $1000/month on mortgage, taxes, and utilities, then you'll be looking mostly for older single-and-double-wides in depressed neighborhoods.

If you mean you can spend up to $2000/month on mortgage, taxes, and utilities, then you're looking at s luxury double-wide/manufactured home with modern upgrades in a gated 55+ community in the northwest corner of Lakeland, OR a really crappy stand-alone stick-built house on a lot of land that needs upgrades and landscaping that you'd have to do yourself or pay extra for.
I agree with the above poster. I live in Lakeland, but without knowing your budget or why you want to move to Lakeland we really can't help you much.

Old 11-27-2023, 10:58 AM

219 posts, read 448,346 times
WOW! How rude. Thanks for all your advice.

Old 11-27-2023, 11:08 AM

17,120 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtxn View Post
WOW! How rude. Thanks for all your advice.
Rude?

We'd love to offer advice, and in an effort to offer advice that is of utmost relevance and assistance to you, we are merely requesting a bit more background/info. That's all.

Old 11-27-2023, 04:55 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Nothing like rude crude and lude. Lakeland is not the place. Try Glades county.

Old 11-28-2023, 10:01 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Rude?

We'd love to offer advice, and in an effort to offer advice that is of utmost relevance and assistance to you, we are merely requesting a bit more background/info. That's all.
People must indicate their budget in order to receive help and advice.

Old 11-28-2023, 07:16 PM

Maybe someone posted something rude and it got deleted by a moderator.

Meanwhile, condolences on the loss of your husband, retiredtxn. I hope you come back and offer more information on your budget so we can help answer those questions for you.

Old 11-30-2023, 08:03 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Although I don't live in Lakeland, we have good friends that live there and I can say that Lakeland has become the new hot spot for buyers and investors over the past couple of years. Although median house prices have dropped slightly, the area is still at this point in time a sellers market.

Ghaati pretty much covered what can be found at the lower end of the price point around Lakeland at this time.

However, I would add one more comment about the inexpensive mobile home listings. Read the ads carefully as many are selling the mobile home only, the lot is rented at X per month. When the lot is rented, the owners of the land can sell the land to a developer and the lot owners will all get letters giving them a specific amount of time to move their mobile homes off the lots and out of the park. It's happened to several mobile home parks around Tampa over the past year, leaving many owners literally no place to go with their mobile homes.

For less expensive housing options in Polk county, the OP might also try towns such as Bartow, Haines City, Lake Alfred or Lake Wales.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Although I don't live in Lakeland, we have good friends that live there and I can say that Lakeland has become the new hot spot for buyers and investors over the past couple of years. Although median house prices have dropped slightly, the area is still at this point in time a sellers market.

Ghaati pretty much covered what can be found at the lower end of the price point around Lakeland at this time.

However, I would add one more comment about the inexpensive mobile home listings. Read the ads carefully as many are selling the mobile home only, the lot is rented at X per month. When the lot is rented, the owners of the land can sell the land to a developer and the lot owners will all get letters giving them a specific amount of time to move their mobile homes off the lots and out of the park. It's happened to several mobile home parks around Tampa over the past year, leaving many owners literally no place to go with their mobile homes.

For less expensive housing options in Polk county, the OP might also try towns such as Bartow, Haines City, Lake Alfred or Lake Wales.
Some communities have long-term leases. My cousin lives in a mobile home/rv community that has 99-year leases for the mobile homes, and rents space on the RV acreage by the month with just a month-to-month lease.

If the owner sells the property to a developer, then the developer would have to handle the accommodations for all those people who have voluntarily locked into a 99-year lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida