Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 10:50 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
My wife is a director for a large automotive group (so I have a good idea of how this works behind the scenes) and I implore you two to stop making sense...remember, this is a BAD move for Florida
I dont like large auto groups. I mean the multi state ones. Seems they always have sales catches and gimmicks compared to a more regional and local auto dealer for example.

Don't see a lot of locally owned mercedes, gm, ford, Toyota, bmw etc. Dealers anymore. The likes of auto nation are taking over now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...and most Floridians don't work behind the counter at Burger King either

there's no such thing as "most" Floridians
If you're looking for a side job many more pay the same or better than fast food and better working conditions and don't require a degree.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:52 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
If you're looking for a side job many more pay the same or better than fast food and better working conditions and don't require a degree.
The average pay for a Mercedes Benz mechanic is $68,117...average. After 5 years, most are >$100k. After 10 years, Master Mechanics make $150k. No college degree required...they provide the training.

These Two dealers in Florida will employee 100+ mechanics combined since they are large volume.

Old 11-17-2023, 03:38 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,051,688 times
Trickle down economics never works. You're just going to get "trickled on".

Old 11-17-2023, 03:50 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I'll assume someone else's recent post will be eliminated from the discussion. But I'll express the same general sentiment.

Most Floridians can't afford to buy a Mercedes. Most Floridians aren't cut out for car sales jobs, and a series of Mercedes dealerships will only employ a tiny segment of the population that's looking for work.

So I'm not understanding why this is a win-win for Florida. It doesn't really help - anyone, other than the wealthy. And they don't need the help.
Most people I see driving Mercedes are those who supposedly “can’t afford” Mercedes. You know, those who have $800 car payments, drive a nice car, but live in a house with a bunch of roommates.

I’d say most Floridians, including those who technically “can’t afford” Mercedes, can, and do, in fact buy and drive Mercedes, as anyone with a pair of eyes can easily see driving around any of Florida’s cities. Scours a Publix parking lot, or any apartment complex, or any college campus, etc.

Bunch of CLA and C-Class Mercedes everywhere.

Old 11-17-2023, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Most people I see driving Mercedes are those who supposedly “can’t afford” Mercedes. You know, those who have $800 car payments, drive a nice car, but live in a house with a bunch of roommates.

I’d say most Floridians, including those who technically “can’t afford” Mercedes, can, and do, in fact buy and drive Mercedes, as anyone with a pair of eyes can easily see driving around any of Florida’s cities. Scours a Publix parking lot, or any apartment complex, or any college campus, etc.

Or they buy a used Mercedes or bmw with no warranty. There is a reason used european cars lose their value fast.

When the warranty expires look out!!! Porsche is another one I see that values drop

I'll stick with my camaro ss. Faster than 95 percent of the cars on the road 0 to 60 3.9 seconds, cheaper to repair. Than a bmw. My payment is 251 a month. I could easuly pay it off right now if i want.

Old 11-17-2023, 06:52 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post

No idea where you're talking about - maybe Miami?

But around here in the 70-square-mile vicinity of The Villages, the cars you see most of are Kias and Toyotas.

Old 11-17-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:

But around here in the 70-square-mile vicinity of The Villages, the cars you see most of are Kias and Toyotas.
Middle class retired folks, and I would think more from the upper south, and midwest versus orlando on south where I see a lot more from New England, Chicago.

The New England people seem to be the Keeping up with the Jones type. Like to have their luxury cars. Midwest more trucks, GM, etc.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:47 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:

Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville.

I’m not surprised that people living in the Villages would be a bit wiser with their money.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:50 AM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
Can’t say I blame you, but that’s certainly where the industry is heading through consolidation - small dealers simply can’t compete infrastructure and inventory wise. Funny you mention AutoNation as they’re based here in South Florida (Lauderdale) they’ve tried to poach my wife a few times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I dont like large auto groups. I mean the multi state ones. Seems they always have sales catches and gimmicks compared to a more regional and local auto dealer for example.

Don't see a lot of locally owned mercedes, gm, ford, Toyota, bmw etc. Dealers anymore. The likes of auto nation are taking over now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida