Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 03:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The OP's prediction never materialized. We had a slight dip, and slowdown, then BOOM! Up up and away it went starting in mid-December. I hope some buyers bought on the minor dip because I only see prices escalating until the elections.

Prices after the elections will be dependent upon the outcomes.
I'm just shocked why further down the coast here in SWFL we're not seeing the pricing boom that you're seeing in parts of Sarasota, Bradenton. Instead Cape Coral, lots of areas of Lee County and Charlotte County all seeing price reductions and sitting on the market for months. Cape Coral especially I'm seeing this and in my area too in Charlotte county. Houses still being built though.

I still think it's the hurricane Ian effect in the landfall zones. I'm also hearing from others in my area that the new FEMA flood rating is scaring people off due to insurance rates.

I want to sell this summer. I'm hoping prices comeback up, not go down down here more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 03:33 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Pasco County developers marketed to retiring gov't workers in the Northeast for years...especially law enforcement, & fire fighters. Those retirees couldn't afford high end homes, so lots of smaller less costly homes were built. That trend was selling, & stuck.

Sounds like my kind of place. I hate it when an area is taken over by high end McMansions. They sprout like weeds in every square inch of green that is considered desirable by those who fancy themselves the "elite". Like PGI in this neck of the woods. Hopefully the area we live in is spared all that....

Old 01-10-2024, 04:49 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Pasco County developers marketed to retiring gov't workers in the Northeast for years...especially law enforcement, & fire fighters. Those retirees couldn't afford high end homes, so lots of smaller less costly homes were built. That trend was selling, & stuck.
Homes were selling for 20k in 2010 on the gulf. All them hoods now are low class renters and section 8 nate.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:30 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I'm just shocked why further down the coast here in SWFL we're not seeing the pricing boom that you're seeing in parts of Sarasota, Bradenton. Instead Cape Coral, lots of areas of Lee County and Charlotte County all seeing price reductions and sitting on the market for months. Cape Coral especially I'm seeing this and in my area too in Charlotte county. Houses still being built though.

I still think it's the hurricane Ian effect in the landfall zones. I'm also hearing from others in my area that the new FEMA flood rating is scaring people off due to insurance rates.

I want to sell this summer. I'm hoping prices comeback up, not go down down here more.
I haven't seen the decline in Lee County but they aren't escalating as the past 2 years, properties are selling almost immediately. Insurance costs have escalated greatly along with taxes due to rise in assessments so I don't know how long they can continue. I just read an article on a community near Fort Myers beach with an 80 unit condo that is still empty since Ian. Many businesses and homes wiped out over 2 years out, that has to impact taxes, where does the county get the revenue.

https://www.news-press.com/picture-g...n/71044009007/

Old 01-12-2024, 08:18 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I haven't seen the decline in Lee County but they aren't escalating as the past 2 years, properties are selling almost immediately. Insurance costs have escalated greatly along with taxes due to rise in assessments so I don't know how long they can continue. I just read an article on a community near Fort Myers beach with an 80 unit condo that is still empty since Ian. Many businesses and homes wiped out over 2 years out, that has to impact taxes, where does the county get the revenue.

https://www.news-press.com/picture-g...n/71044009007/
Yea and they want to save Leonardo Arms too lol. The residents mostly old in there and dont want to take a loss. You know, that condo that was nearlt in the gulf before Ian. Now its foundation is exposed.

Old 01-15-2024, 02:55 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Ok.........boomer population is mostly retired, 5 more years and they will all be 65+ so that will clearly "bump" Florida's population. Places like the Villages (81,000+ population there alone) are becoming popular with retirees (as well as Margaritaville and others).
The work remote crowd is also loving Florida.

So not sure the end is coming in the next 5 years but I do agree all real estate is cyclical and will go boom/bust. The banks aren't lending like its 2005 so not sure they will have a similar collapse to 2008/09 so that is a huge difference.

As far as "one basket" if you are living in your home, its a place to live not a short term investment. If real estate dropped 50% tomorrow I wouldn't move. In fact I might buy another home!
Yes, owning the one home you live in doesn’t make you a “real estate investor” by the definition most people use, which is a businessperson who buys a portfolio of properties, and sees to it that they generate profits from that.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:14 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
But Florida has plenty of room to grow. It looks like 80% of it doesn't even encroach on any other state's border!

Sorry, I'm practicing being a realtor and got carried away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida