Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 446 times

Advertisements

When I was on vacation this past summer and driving from Miami to Melbourne, I noticed on the way there that as I was leaving Miami, there were more and more temperate plants and subtropical palms as I went up north, especially in the West Palm Beach area. Why is this? Does the 70 mile distance make that big of a difference in terms of cold snaps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 12:53 PM

18,447 posts, read 8,272,093 times
yes

Old 10-27-2023, 01:00 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,745,387 times
I notice a similar shift in foliage when I travel from Martin County up to the Space Coast/Brevard.

Old 10-27-2023, 01:01 PM

17,183 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Yes.

Same happens if you go from Sarasota to Fort Myers and Naples.

Old 10-27-2023, 01:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Florida is in a transition zone between the tropics and the sub-tropics. The further north you go, the less tropical it gets.

The areas of Florida I'm more familiar with is the Orlando area and beach areas like Cocoa Beach and that vicinity. I have also been to Miami and Palm Beach, but no question Orlando wins as the place I have been to the most in the state. The first time I went to Miami was a last minute trip by land from Orlando. Things that jumped to me regarding vegetation is how coconut palms and royal palms are lacking in Orlando while they are everywhere in Miami. You also see many in the Palm Beach area.

Nowadays there are many fox tail palms in the Orlando area which gives the vicinity a touch of a more tropical look, but those palms appeared about two decades ago. The times I have been to the Orlando area before literally there were none. I think the hardiness of the fox tail palm has more to do with its appearance and popularity in the Orlando area than actual warming.

With that said, while there are no mature coconut palms in the Orlando area, now you will see a royal palm here or there while I don't remember seeing them when I first started to visit the Orlando area. With those palms specifically, it could be due to the warming effect.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-27-2023 at 01:29 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 01:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 14,959,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I notice a similar shift in foliage when I travel from Martin County up to the Space Coast/Brevard.
The first time I went to the Space Coast, particularly Cocoa Beach which was the first beach I visited in Florida, I noticed there were a few coconut palms (and by a few, I mean a few) and they were not the young types that are near the ground. That cought my interest because in Orlando, where I was prior to driving to the coast, there were none. Orlando and Cocoa Beach are basically at the same latitude, so I guess the coast is slightly warmer than inland probably due to the effect of the Gulf Stream.

This was a long time ago. In fact, the four lane road (two lanes in each direction) that exist now between the Orlando area and the Melbourne/Cocoa Beach coast back then was a two lane road (one in each direction.)

One thing I have noticed about Florida since the first time I went there is how there are hardly any palm trees the moment you leave a built up area. Lots and lots of pine trees though. This is completely different from what I have seen in the Dominican Republic. Lots and lots of palm trees in most places, built up and in the middle of nowhere. Even on the mountains there are many not placed there by man. Then again, there it never gets cold except in a handful of places on top of the mountains. In Florida even Miami has seen a snowfall (very few) while nowhere there has seen a single snow flake fall from the sky. Maybe that has something to do with the natural vegetation vs the vegetation that exist in an area because that was created by man rather than nature per se.

Last edited by AntonioR; 10-27-2023 at 01:31 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
now you will see a royal palm here or there while I don't remember seeing them when I first started to visit the Orlando area. With those palms specifically, it could be due to the warming effect.
Royals were native almost all the way up the St Johns to Jacksonville.... In 1774 William Bartram, described Royal Palms near Astor, Florida

in the 1500's - 1800's citrus grew in So Carolina

it's gotten colder

Old 10-27-2023, 03:37 PM

17,183 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Royals were native almost all the way up the St Johns to Jacksonville.... In 1774 William Bartram, described Royal Palms near Astor, Florida

in the 1500's - 1800's citrus grew in So Carolina

it's gotten colder
If you go around the lakes of Lake County, you will see some very tall, very mature Royal palms that appear to be native to the land. Lake Dora comes to mind, especially around the nature trail.

Old 10-27-2023, 03:49 PM

Clermont royal > https://www.flickr.com/photos/hollyh...9/20599621356/

Jacksonville royals > https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2139...l=en&entry=ttu

Old 10-27-2023, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
If you go around the lakes of Lake County, you will see some very tall, very mature Royal palms that appear to be native to the land. Lake Dora comes to mind, especially around the nature trail.
what kills them is not the cold up there....when they get that tall...lightning takes them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida