Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2023, 02:54 PM

119 posts, read 152,668 times

Advertisements

How do you see SW Florida in terms of prices affordability? What type of in migration is that area experiencing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 03:10 PM

2,346 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Lee and Collier are very different. Lee County, and Cape Coral in particular, is still pretty cheap since it was so overbuild in the 2000s. Naples is totally different. It’s one of the most expensive spots in the state, second maybe to Palm Beach but that’s about it.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:49 PM

119 posts, read 152,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Lee and Collier are very different. Lee County, and Cape Coral in particular, is still pretty cheap since it was so overbuild in the 2000s. Naples is totally different. It’s one of the most expensive spots in the state, second maybe to Palm Beach but that’s about it.
Tell me more about Cape Coral.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:41 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:
Cape Coral can be VERY expensive if it's on a gulf access brackish/salt water canal! I mean homes near a million and on up! Cheaper on a fresh water canal though. Cape is still kinda expensive, Charlotte County like Punta Gorda, nicer areas of Port Charlotte, North Port are cheaper than most areas of Cape Coral.

But Cape Coral better access to shopping, places to eat, healthcare, better hospitals compared to Charlotte County. North Port close to Venice so that's a good option, nice beaches short distance.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:51 PM

2,346 posts, read 2,296,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Cape Coral can be VERY expensive if it's on a gulf access brackish/salt water canal! I mean homes near a million and on up! Cheaper on a fresh water canal though. Cape is still kinda expensive, Charlotte County like Punta Gorda, nicer areas of Port Charlotte, North Port are cheaper than most areas of Cape Coral.

But Cape Coral better access to shopping, places to eat, healthcare, better hospitals compared to Charlotte County. North Port close to Venice so that's a good option, nice beaches short distance.
A million for gulf access really isn’t bad anymore. It could be up to 3 million for that in Tampa and more still in Naples. You’re right though, places like North Port are cheaper but it comes with some trade offs.

I’m actually not a fan of Cape Coral and haven’t spent much time there. It’s like one big middle to lower-middle class suburb without much redeeming about it.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
A million for gulf access really isn’t bad anymore. It could be up to 3 million for that in Tampa and more still in Naples. You’re right though, places like North Port are cheaper but it comes with some trade offs.

I’m actually not a fan of Cape Coral and haven’t spent much time there. It’s like one big middle to lower-middle class suburb without much redeeming about it.
I wouldn't call it lower income anymore. Most of the newer builds are pretty nice. There are some crummy older areas of cape though. Cape is huge remember.

Main problem with cape is traffic! It's worse than Northport and many areas of Venice I think. I'd chose North Port over cape. Venice is nearby and sarasota not too far away too.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:24 AM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Collier County has many 70+'ers who snowbird. The year rounders are younger, & many own small businesses, or work from home, or in the gig economy...not many large employers in Collier County outside gov't, & Publix, & other chains.

Lee County cost less than Collier, & is much younger, w/ more full timers. There are actual non-tourism, non-chain jobs there. Estero's not near the beaches, but everything's new, its younger, and very nice. Of course, FLA Gulf Coast College is in Lee too and brings a lot of youth to the area.

Collier is very expensive anywhere w/in 30 mins to beaches. It's now pushing way out East, where its somewhat affordable; around Ave Maria.

Lee County's still in Ian recovery mode near the beaches...buying opportunities of distressed properties may still exist there.

I could live in Lee, but not Collier...I'm not a top 1%'er, (nowhere near 70 yrs old), so in Collier I'd have to live way East....no thanks.

B-T-W both have cheap property taxes, especially Collier...& Collier has some good prep schools, I don't know about Lee.

Both Counties are quite conservative politically...Lee can be in your face, but Collier's more reserved & refined about politics.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Collier County has many 70+'ers who snowbird. The year rounders are younger, & many own small businesses, or work from home, or in the gig economy...not many large employers in Collier County outside gov't, & Publix, & other chains.

Lee County cost less than Collier, & is much younger, w/ more full timers. There are actual non-tourism, non-chain jobs there. Estero's not near the beaches, but everything's new, its younger, and very nice. Of course, FLA Gulf Coast College is in Lee too and brings a lot of youth to the area.

Collier is very expensive anywhere w/in 30 mins to beaches. It's now pushing way out East, where its somewhat affordable; around Ave Maria.

Lee County's still in Ian recovery mode near the beaches...buying opportunities of distressed properties may still exist there.

I could live in Lee, but not Collier...I'm not a top 1%'er, (nowhere near 70 yrs old), so in Collier I'd have to live way East....no thanks.

B-T-W both have cheap property taxes, especially Collier...& Collier has some good prep schools, I don't know about Lee.

Both Counties are quite conservative politically...Lee can be in your face, but Collier's more reserved & refined about politics.
Before the 2020 election when I drove by my old neighborhood in Naples I saw TWO "Republicans for Biden" flags! I didn't even know these existed

It is younger, but like people in their 50s compared to their 70s who got decent jobs there. I guess that's young to you LOL

Based on your post and your income level you could afford a lot of places in Collier county that have decent neighborhoods and not far from the beaches. I lived in Queens Park in East Naples, a short drive down Davis to Tin City and downtown Naples and the beaches. Not far at all. I have cousins who all live in Naples and they're not rich and live in nice neighborhoods west of I75. Law enforcement, county workers. Make good money but not millionaires. They all live about 15 minutes from the Gulf. Of course these houses now are like 600k which is a lot for most to afford but well within your range though.

The younger people tend to also hangout downtown Ft. Myers and live in the apartments there. I personally don't like going there. Always shootings and crime near downtown a lot it seems whenever there are events or on weekends. Places like Dunbar are just a couple miles away and crime spills over.

I turn 40 in 2 weeks and find the overall feel of Southwest Florida MUCH older now than when I lived here from 91 to 2002. Census data also shows it aging too. I have relatives in Pasco County and the overall vibe is quite a bit younger than this area. However, the traffic is too overbearing for me. Even though I am from a major city, St. Louis. The overall layout of the Tampa metro area is horrific. Stl metro is probably one of the easiest metros in the country to drive. Except parts of 270, I64 at rush hour.

Old 10-17-2023, 07:42 AM

296 posts, read 528,719 times
I like living in Cape Coral. I am 54 and my wife is 53. There are pros and cons to it. The biggest turn off is the traffic. It sucks all day every day. Pine Island , Del Prado , Veterans and Cape Coral Pkwy all suck. No quick access to 75 , takes about 20-30 minutes to get there just depends on which end of town you live in.
There is no real "flavor" in the Cape. Not like Naples or Miami. Kind of a miss mash of people who do their own things.
Real estate will run the entire specter , multi million dollar to really affordable homes. Taxes are reasonable. Many good places for new growing families to put roots down.
Yes there is crime , not too bad. CCPD is good
Healthcare is atrocious , We need at least 2 more large hospitals in Lee county. One in the Cape and another somewhere in Ft Myers.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMedic View Post
I like living in Cape Coral. I am 54 and my wife is 53. There are pros and cons to it. The biggest turn off is the traffic. It sucks all day every day. Pine Island , Del Prado , Veterans and Cape Coral Pkwy all suck. No quick access to 75 , takes about 20-30 minutes to get there just depends on which end of town you live in.
There is no real "flavor" in the Cape. Not like Naples or Miami. Kind of a miss mash of people who do their own things.
Real estate will run the entire specter , multi million dollar to really affordable homes. Taxes are reasonable. Many good places for new growing families to put roots down.
Yes there is crime , not too bad. CCPD is good
Healthcare is atrocious , We need at least 2 more large hospitals in Lee county. One in the Cape and another somewhere in Ft Myers.
Healthpark is a good hospital. I live in Punta Gorda and use it for my mom. Doesn't seem nearly as crowded as Fawcett and Shorepoint up here in Punta Gorda.

Traffic and the layout is terrible I think. I just take Burnt Store Rd to Cape so lucky I don't have to worry about 75 to get there. If I'm going to put up with traffic I would much rather live in Sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida