Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 08:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I don’t mean the city is physically large. It’s huge in terms of population, density, income, etc. and it’s enough to significantly skew NYS statistics.
Not sure what you mean with "income." If you mean the wealthiest per capita - then no, New York City is not as big as many other parts of the state, and doesn't skew anything in that regard.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=75dc809146a3

That's a general run-down from Forbes, based on actual census data. You could check the source and look at the census data itself but I just picked Forbes because it was a source I'm familiar with, and was near the top of the search results.

If you mean the combined revenue of everyone who lives in NYC - then sure - even homeless people who beg for a buck contribute to the combined revenue, and there are plenty of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 09:12 PM

2,341 posts, read 2,291,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Not sure what you mean with "income." If you mean the wealthiest per capita - then no, New York City is not as big as many other parts of the state, and doesn't skew anything in that regard.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewd...h=75dc809146a3

That's a general run-down from Forbes, based on actual census data. You could check the source and look at the census data itself but I just picked Forbes because it was a source I'm familiar with, and was near the top of the search results.

If you mean the combined revenue of everyone who lives in NYC - then sure - even homeless people who beg for a buck contribute to the combined revenue, and there are plenty of them.
NYS’s GDP per capita is 108k, which obviously is the case purely due to NYC.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:51 AM

6,447 posts, read 3,147,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
NY State statistics aren’t very meaningful when one huge city skews everything.
Very true!

Old 10-06-2023, 05:26 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It doesn't surprise me one bit that people are moving FROM NY state and moving TO Florida. I mean, who WOULDN'T do so if they had the financial means and freedom to do so?
Some don't move from NY to FL due to wanting to be near friends & family, or being tied down by their jobs & businesses. They can afford to move, but its financially perfereable to stay in NY.

Some can afford to move to FL, but are too old.

Others can't stand the heat/humidity in FL, or the politics.

Florida's not for everybody, even though it seems that way during the Wintertime, for us locals...ugh!

I wasn't born & raised in Florida, so I can't cast any stones at the snow birds, tourist, or newcomers...but I reserve the right to whine.

Escaping high population density will most likely be the reason for my next move, but to another less densely populated place within Florida. The last place to fill up here in Florida will be the state's interior, North of Orlando to the state line.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:09 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
It doesn't surprise me one bit that people are moving FROM NY state and moving TO Florida. I mean, who WOULDN'T do so if they had the financial means and freedom to do so?
A LOT of people wouldn't. And a lot move back within 5 years of moving to FL. Most of my family did. Very few of my friends remained in FL. A lot of people don't like Florida, for multiple reasons.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:33 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
A LOT of people wouldn't. And a lot move back within 5 years of moving to FL. Most of my family did. Very few of my friends remained in FL. A lot of people don't like Florida, for multiple reasons.
In the Florida 55+ community that I moved to 20 years ago, very few of the original owners, of which I am one, moved out voluntarily. A few moved out when their spouse died, but some widows/widowers didn't move out even then. Most stayed and kept their house alone, and some found another spouse to share the house with them.

I'm sure that some Florida communities have a greater turnover, but in our community, there are still plenty of the original owners from 20+ years ago. Our community has very little turnover which is an indication that the owners are happy/content where they are. The second owners seem to be content also with very little turnover. I like it like that. Of the houses in my immediate vicinity, about half still have the original owner living there. Of the remainer, all are second owners except for one which has had 3 owners in 20 years.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:17 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
In the Florida 55+ community that I moved to 20 years ago, very few of the original owners, of which I am one, moved out voluntarily. A few moved out when their spouse died, but some widows/widowers didn't move out even then. Most stayed and kept their house alone, and some found another spouse to share the house with them.

I'm sure that some Florida communities have a greater turnover, but in our community, there are still plenty of the original owners from 20+ years ago. Our community has very little turnover which is an indication that the owners are happy/content where they are. The second owners seem to be content also with very little turnover. I like it like that. Of the houses in my immediate vicinity, about half still have the original owner living there. Of the remainer, all are second owners except for one which has had 3 owners in 20 years.
My sub division has a lot of turnover. Many moving out of state. Some back to IN, IL, but a lot of them to places like GA, SC, one moved to NC. A bit cooler, cheaper and less crowded they said. They don't like the hotter weather and the growth. States like GA, NC more temperate but not bone chilling cold

Old 10-07-2023, 07:30 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
With all them Yankees moving into Florida you could definitely say the population is getting “denser” lol

Old 10-07-2023, 07:59 AM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
My sub division has a lot of turnover. Many moving out of state. Some back to IN, IL, but a lot of them to places like GA, SC, one moved to NC. A bit cooler, cheaper and less crowded they said. They don't like the hotter weather and the growth. States like GA, NC more temperate but not bone chilling cold
Your first sentence illustrates the point I was trying to make. Not all 55+ communities in Florida are alike. Some have fast turnover and many rental properties. Some have very little turnover and very few rental properties. It pays to check out the specific 55+ community in detail before making assumptions about length of residency, turnover rate, average age, etc.

Old 10-07-2023, 11:05 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Your first sentence illustrates the point I was trying to make. Not all 55+ communities in Florida are alike. Some have fast turnover and many rental properties. Some have very little turnover and very few rental properties. It pays to check out the specific 55+ community in detail before making assumptions about length of residency, turnover rate, average age, etc.
I'm not in a 55 over place. Regular sub division but most of the folks are mid 50s and older being I live in swfl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida