Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2023, 09:38 AM

18 posts, read 13,499 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on here, so sorry in advance if I didn't do this right. Why isn't Brevard county, Florida a part of the Orlando metropolitan area or at least its combined statistical area? Many cities in Brevard are close to Orlando, and many commute to Orlando. I dont understand how counties like Volusia are included and Brevard county is excluded, despite both counties having the same relative distance to Orlando/surrounding areas. I guess the whole ways metro areas are drawn doesnt make sense to me, as for example Indian River county, despite being hours from Miami, is technically apart of the Miami CSA. I simply cant imagine someone commuting from Sebastian, FL to Miami, FL. If anything it has a greater connection to Orlando.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 09:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
You did exactly right, btw.

This may help you understand or be more tolerant of the boundareies:
''Brevard County was established by an act of the Florida Legislature in 1854, actually
signed into law by the Governor early in 1855.''

Old 09-23-2023, 05:52 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
You did exactly right, btw.

This may help you understand or be more tolerant of the boundareies:
''Brevard County was established by an act of the Florida Legislature in 1854, actually
signed into law by the Governor early in 1855.''
I also think we have always prided ourselves for not being smothered by Orlando after Disney came and changed that little cattle town into a huge tourist attraction. I think our rockets and tech industry sets us aside from the rest of Florida.

You should have heard the stink when the airport changed it's name to Orlando Melbourne Airport. That went over like a lead balloon. So they changed it to Melbourne Orlando and we still hate it. It is the Melbourne Airport. And we hate it when they say Orlando's beach or Orlando's port in their tourist ads. They "ain't got no" beach or port.

As for Indian River county being part of Miami CSA that is a new one to me....in a stretch maybe Fort Pierce but definitely not Vero Beach or Sebastian communities. I think they would be more aligned with the Space Coast, but it would be nice if Disney could get the train to stop there. It would make it more convenient to take the train from South Brevard to get to a Dolphin game without driving from here.

Old 01-01-2024, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 768 times
The reason is probably because there's zero development between the western reaches of Brevard County and the easternmost reaches of Greater Orlando. Yes, there's connections, but no development. However, that'll change in the coming decades as Osceola Country has a whole master plan mapped out, with development sparking in Eastern Orange and Northeastern Osceola Counties, dubbed the North Ranch Master Plan, with planned development happening that extends to US 192. It won't completely connect, but it'll add more development [b]towards[b] Melbourne. but this won't be happening for a very long time, probably towards 2050-2060. But for now, lack of development might be why, but it might be added due to connectivity and transportation, but we'll see come the 2030 census.

Old 01-02-2024, 03:36 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaterorlandomiami1734 View Post
This is my first post on here, so sorry in advance if I didn't do this right. Why isn't Brevard county, Florida a part of the Orlando metropolitan area or at least its combined statistical area? Many cities in Brevard are close to Orlando, and many commute to Orlando. I dont understand how counties like Volusia are included and Brevard county is excluded, despite both counties having the same relative distance to Orlando/surrounding areas. I guess the whole ways metro areas are drawn doesnt make sense to me, as for example Indian River county, despite being hours from Miami, is technically apart of the Miami CSA. I simply cant imagine someone commuting from Sebastian, FL to Miami, FL. If anything it has a greater connection to Orlando.
If you were more familiar with the area you would get it. Brevard County is separated from the Orlando metro by hundreds of square miles of undeveloped land (mostly wetlands) and as a result sees little commercial overlap or resident commutes. The southern third to half of Volusia County acts as a bedroom community for Orlando and the northeast suburbs, so it partially makes sense although not so much with the coastal areas/Daytona Beach. FL's growth has lead to the need for further breakdown of MSAs and would guess it won't be long before Daytona Beach-Deltona-Ormond Beach becomes a standalone MSA. I could imagine Indian River County would be slated for inclusion with a Palm Bay-Melbourne-Titusville MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida